Injury..... I want to overcome it!!!

Options
I have recently found out that I have a Prolapsed Disc at the base of my back. I am not allowed to exercise until I have my appointment at the hospital Friday but feel so frustrated that I cant do anything.

I have been swimming and cycling at the gym but even now I can feel the pain building up.

I find it so frustrating because it has taken me SO long to get to the point where I am doing something productive that I also enjoy and now it is all messed up!!!

I have got so much weight to lose and I fear that my exercising is going to be pulled from under me!?!

Does anyone else have a similar problem / experience that would like to give me some tips on how to cope??

Thank you

x x

Replies

• bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great! The hardest part of this whole process is to make the decision: "I want to become healthier." Unfortunately, our bodies can sometimes reject this change or get injured in the process. Be patient, nourish your injured body with healthy food, and let your body heal. This is a lifestyle, not a fad. So, there will be ups and downs throughout the process. The important thing to remember is that you are still doing your best to live a healthy life (injured back or not). :)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I know it is frustrating, but please do as your doctor has recommended and take it easy. Continue to eat healthy and be patient.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    No prolapsed disc, but I did have my torn meniscus in my knee flare about about 2.5 weeks ago. It is slowly getting better, but my workouts have not been the same, and I feel it. Hopefully in another week all will be well, but one never knows. Remember that the vast majority of fat loss is diet, so keep logging and you should do fine. Hopefully you get in to have it dealt with soon. Get well.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That is very frustrating! My sister recently has lost about 30 lbs. and then was diagnoised with cancer. Multiple surgeries later (and more to come for reconstruction) she is cancer free. However, during those 3 months she was not allowed to workout at all. What she did was increase her water intake, be really careful with her food choices and every time she had to go to the bathroom - which was often given the fluid intake- she would take a lap around the house and use the upstairs bathroom. Anything to add extra steps. She was able to lose about a pound a month that way. Every little bit helps!

Good luck and I hope your doctor's appointment goes well.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I have a staph infection from a huge gash on the leg. The infection is way more painful than the actual cut. I've made a couple attempts at running, walking, cycling. While I'm fine while doing the activity the pain after words is so bad I can't see straight.

I have a 10K on Saturday and my training has taken a good hit. I'm running in the race because I've paid for it. But I'm not expecting a good time.

I'm normally a patient person, but this injury is really testing mine.
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of injuries. I lost 80 pounds and have had several foot injuries and knee injuries. the most important thing to remember is that you will not injured forever. Time heals. I love to workout hard so if I mess up with eating it all balances out. Staying at a healthy weight is a lifetime committment, when I am on the bench from an injury I focus on finding healthy recipies and making sure I am eating as healthy as I can. Having injuries and forcing me to behave with my eating has greatly helped me look at the entire picture. I have successfully been able to keep all of my weight off for 5 years. I still have 20 to go but I will just wait until my most recent injury has healed and then focus on weight loss again.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I know it's so hard - I was a long distance runner for years, but after two reconstructive knee surgeries and a serious bout of IT Band Syndrome, I've been sidelined from running. My best advice to you is to tell your doctor about your desire to exercise and see if s/he can give some pointers on how to do some exercise without exacerbating your injury. You may also be able to start physical therapy which will show you how to exercise without reinjuring yourself and work on building up lost muscle mass. Don't try to ignore the doctor's recommendations - it will only hurt you more in the long run. If s/he says no exercise, your best bet is to take a break, make smarter food choices, focus on the rehab you get, and then get back into exercise when you are physically able to do so.

Good luck!
  • nanna7400
    nanna7400 Posts: 9
    Options
    i have two herniated disc in my back had to stop taking my pain meds because they plug me up so bad. i have lost a little over 50 lbs and so i started going to the gym so i did for the first time yesterday. i hurt all over ever joint in my body but i think that would be normal, but my back just feels like it is swollen and fatigued so out of shape but need to go . i don't know if there is anything that i could take to help it. i need to go so bad.
  • TerpZone
    TerpZone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site yesterday and happened to come across your post so I feel like I almost have to reply.

I've struggled with weight loss for as long as I can remember. Back in 2006 though I actually got motivation and lost 140lbs in 8 months and then kept it off for a little over a year. However, New Years 2008 (2007 going into 2008) I was stupid and ended up injuring myself trying to jump over a deck rail as part of a game we were playing. I ended up slipping during the jump which caused my leg to slam into said rail sending me flipping over it and down to the ground where I landed on my back. Luckily my back was fine and nothing was broken but the accident did result in a pretty bad bone bruise on my leg. If you've never had one of these they are very painful and take a long time to heal.

I couldn't really exercise, and between the disappointment in my injury and some heart break i ended up going through at the same time, I just lost my motivation to do any of it. This started a slow spiral that now 3 years later is causing me to essentially start again and lose weight all over.

All I can tell you is don't give up. Don't let the injury get the best of you and instead use it as motivation to be more rigorous with your diet and other healthy things you can do in your life. Get back to working out as soon as you can and do whatever you're allowed to do in the mean time. Don't do what I did. I only share this story with you so that hopefully it can provide you with motivation to stick with it and maybe out of my failure I can help you succeed. I did this once, so trust me when I say that succeeding in losing weight feels so amazing that it makes all the work you've done and all the problems you face along the way seem totally worth it.