Weight loss and excess skin

Options
I see these shows on tv all the time where someone had a tremendous, or not so large amount of weight loss result in hanging, excess skin. I ask this because I didnt have much weight to lose, and have just reached my first goal from 124 to 115 as of today. I have had a child 19 months ago but have only light stretch marks below my pants line. The area of my stomach around my belly button the skin is getting looser and looser with each pound. If feels gross and mushy and is starting to hang almost like a a little flap around my belly button about 4 in. in every direction. My body is looking quite toned and flat everywhere but there. I know there isnt much I can do and I was just wondering if anyone could share any tips that help with firming skin whether it be a certain massage or skin treatment or should I try and get more muscle , also if anyone feels comfortable sharing if they have ever had a tummy tuck after weight loss, or a full body lift. I am just exploring all my options I worked so hard for this and am just not happy and the more weight I lose the worse it is getting.

Replies

• krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I see these shows on tv all the time where someone had a tremendous, or not so large amount of weight loss result in hanging, excess skin. I ask this because I didnt have much weight to lose, and have just reached my first goal from 124 to 115 as of today. I have had a child 19 months ago but have only light stretch marks below my pants line. The area of my stomach around my belly button the skin is getting looser and looser with each pound. If feels gross and mushy and is starting to hang almost like a a little flap around my belly button about 4 in. in every direction. My body is looking quite toned and flat everywhere but there. I know there isnt much I can do and I was just wondering if anyone could share any tips that help with firming skin whether it be a certain massage or skin treatment or should I try and get more muscle , also if anyone feels comfortable sharing if they have ever had a tummy tuck after weight loss, or a full body lift. I am just exploring all my options I worked so hard for this and am just not happy and the more weight I lose the worse it is getting.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There is at least one girl on here who got a tummy tuck, and since she posted pictures of her before and after pictures and looks GREAT I'm sure she'd be willing to talk to you about it...her name is AmberTimmons on here I think...hopefully she will chime in on this thread.
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    Oh thanks!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    my guess is the excess skin has more to do with having had a baby than it does with having lost weight. I've lost a fair amount and do have a bit of sagging skin in my upper arms and a bit in my thighs but everyday it gets a tiny bit tighter. Excess tummy skin really has nowhere to go, with your arms you can build muscle and sort of give the illusion of tightness but not in the tummy. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, I mean you had a baby and if you plan to have any more of them, a tummy tuck is only going to be a temporary fix. The young lady who had a tummy tuck did so after losing over 100 lbs. I too saw her pics, she had quite a lot of excess skin to lose, I promise you, much more than you have now, and her after pics did look fabulous. Of course, a tummy tuck is always an option but it certainly isn't for everyone, like I said, especially if you plan on having more children in the future. :flowerforyou: Besides, you are beautiful the way you are and that extra skin was a gift from your little one!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i went to main page for community, then message boards. at the top right there is a search engine.
    i put in tummy tuck and there were a lot of threads. ppl who have had them and those with some good info. have a great night :flowerforyou:
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    well we are definatly done having kids the doc refused to tie my tubes though, I am only 22 and I guess he thought I hadnt thought it through. If I had another I would adopt or foster some other kids. I Know I dont want another child until at least my son is out of the house. I Loved being an only child. It doesnt look bad with clothes on at all i look lean and flat but when i wear a bathing suit its very noticeable. I would never have the money to do it anytime soon but I just wanted to know opinions on it and how it went, also if there are any skin creams or treatments that will actually firm skin or if thats fake?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but you're young, so isn't that a chance that this might eventually resolve itself? Or maybe you could do some toning and see if that helps?
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    well yes thats sort of why I am asking, has anyone had a similar situation and been able to resolve it with creams or toning muscle, and if so what muscle toning helps with mid abdomen skin. The lower ab is tight its so wierd its just around my belly button theres like a line of where my skin is loose.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Was the skin at all like this BEFORE you lost weight? Like after having your baby? if not and it really is from the fat loss, the skin may tighten up because you're so young. if it's from the baby belly though, it probably will not go away on it's own. I have heard of firming lotions but I have never heard of them ACTUALLY working for anyone. They have a lot of cute 1 piece bathing suits now :ohwell: I know it seems unfair, I felt the same about my arms, but the thing is would you rather have the fat or a bit of extra skin? I'm definitely not up for going under the knife personally, so if I ever get any comment about it, I'll say ya, well I lost 60 pounds and they are my reminders.
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    no it didnt get like this until I started losing weight. I hold weight in my tummy and have chicken legs and arms. After my son and before my weight loss began my tummy was just curved out but smooth like dis'

DSCI0002.jpg

But now it goes flat down from my ribs to about an inch below my belly button then theres a small wrinkly flab of skin then below that is flat again. I have a two piece and wear it anyways just want to look my best.:wink:
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i wanna know from your picture how you can stock a bar like that and still look as great as you do!!!! lol
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with the skin about 1 inch below the belly button kind of sagging. I always carry my weight in my upper legs/thighs, and my stomach usually flattens out okay, but I think mine is from having my 3rd baby 2 1/2 years ago. I never used to have a problem in this area until my kids. Nothing has been quite the same since then, but I have lost weight:smile: . I keep trying with the aerobic/fat loss exercises and am hoping to see a difference, but I just have to wait and see
  • pecksun8
    Options
    It will go away. it will however be the absolute last thing to go. Just keep working at it, you will probably reach your goal weight but you won't lose your belly from the baby. But it will go away.

Now if you lose the weight and then put all your weight back on, then you will have the problem of it not going away. It does depend on genetics and how your mother looks and you grandmother. But from your picture, I don't think you will have a problem. It will just take some time.
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have alot of experience in this since i work for a plastic surgeon. Unfortunately if it is loose skin it will not go away. You can't do anything to tighten the skin and it may even get worse if you lose more weight. You are losing the fat underneath so your skin just get looser. Some people have that great skin with great elasticity and some don't. Damn genes! lol
    Don't waste all your money on all of those lotions and cremes, I'm one of those suckers that used to fall for everything claiming to get rid of stretch marks and tighten the skin, If i had all that money back now! **sigh** lol
    If its only right around your belly button it probably doesn't look that bad, some people have ALOT of skin hanging and I still see them on the beach wearing a bikini!! lol

Keep working on AB exercies though and firm up those muscles!
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    Thanks you guys!!
  • krystalmoore1986
    Options
    i wanna know from your picture how you can stock a bar like that and still look as great as you do!!!! lol
    Haha thats not even the bar thats the empties:laugh: :drinker:

I actually dont even drink beer but I love a wine cooler every now and then haha! Such a lush huh?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    There is at least one girl on here who got a tummy tuck, and since she posted pictures of her before and after pictures and looks GREAT I'm sure she'd be willing to talk to you about it...her name is AmberTimmons on here I think...hopefully she will chime in on this thread.

I am the same, loosing weight but lower tummy bulge will never completely go away. I consu;ted a doctor and my insurance nad yes, most ins companies will cover a small tummy tuck.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    no it didnt get like this until I started losing weight. I hold weight in my tummy and have chicken legs and arms. After my son and before my weight loss began my tummy was just curved out but smooth like dis'

DSCI0002.jpg

But now it goes flat down from my ribs to about an inch below my belly button then theres a small wrinkly flab of skin then below that is flat again. I have a two piece and wear it anyways just want to look my best.:wink:

pilates
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hope that my AFTER photo looks like your BEFORE pic!
    Good Lordy!
    No one, and I mean No one knows what stretch marks and loose skin looks like until you have seen my stomach. And I speak the truth.
    I wish I had enough nerve to post photos to make all you people complaining about their stomach feel good with what you have!
    I just may have to post a disgusting photo of myself to make you all feel much better about yourselves!
    Up until Saturday I have not shown my stomach to anyone else other than my husband. But my girlfriend was complaining about her stomach, so I pulled up the shirt and unbuttoned my pants to show her mine. And I think after 25 years of knowing her, she was speechless! And we both agreed that I need to look into plastic surgery. But that won't happen for many years.
    So, if you have a little loose skin around your belly button and being so young, I'm sure you can get it to look almost perfect with a little hard work. And you can hide the lower part under your bikini.
    Good Luck
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I read that this most often happens when someone loses too much weight too quickly, like liposuction for example. If you are losing gradually, your skin should slowly start tightening. It also makes a difference with how long your skin has been loose (how long you have been overweight). If you are young, your skin is still more elastic, and should bounce back