Baking banana bread with sugar substitute?

Options
I'm sure this topic has been posted before, but I'm running short on time to try to search through the topics... :blushing: anyhoo, I've been wanting to bake a low-fat banana bread for quite some time now, and now that I have some overly-ripe bananas, I think today may be the day! I haven't baked anything since I was, say, 10 so I am kind of a newbie... my question is, will the bread turn out OK if I use Splenda or whatever other sugar substitute instead of "real" sugar (recipe calls for 3/4c)?? I try to cut as many calories as I can, but I don't want my bread to turn out TOO crappy! :laugh:

Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It will turn out the same. I've use splenda and stevia and I like splenda better. Its sweet as sugar. Stevia has a bit of an aftertaste but you probably wouldn't be able to tell it in banana bread.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Yep absolutely, I did some a few weeks ago, but BEWARE you may eat all of it as its sooooo yummy...we want pics lol
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'd cut the flour back by a TBSP or two. When I use Splenda, I notice that it tends to be a little more dry in texture. Otherwise, though, it's great.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time; works great! What really changes the texture/consistancy of the bread is when you sub out the fats.... replacing oil or butter with applesauce, yogurt, etc... makes the cake more spongey and it doesn't rise as much.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If your recipe asks for one cup of sugar, what I would do is use a half cup of sugar and a quart er cup of splenda, I would experiment a little. I personally don't like using all splenda..
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It should turn out just fine using any sugar substitute. Just remember use 1/3 the amount the recipe calls for if you use stevia.
    Secondly, just want to say that saving calories is great. Even finding other options for sweetening the bread (maple syrup, agave syrup [my favorite], honey, or apple sauce) could be an even better favor to you. I've seen too many studies stating that artificial sweeteners only cause more sweet cravings in the body because chemically we think we're getting sugar so when there's no sugar/glucose high, our bodies force us to get it one way or another.
    I think adding applesauce in your banana bread and some agave syrup instead of any kind of sugar will be the calorie saving tricks you're looking for without causing any distress about what you're eating.