Duathlon Tips? Biking newbie

Options
My lovely sister is trying to coerce me into participating in a duathlon with her at the end of August. Two mile run, followed by 13 miles by bike then another two mile run.

I've got the running thing down -- I'm slow but steady, and currently training for a marathon. The furthest I've ever run in one shot is 16 miles, so I think I've got the endurance thing down.

So this is my dilemma: biking. My experience to date with biking is an anniversary trip 2 years ago where I spent a day and a half on a borrowed Huffy mountain bike with faulty gears. My vagina still cringes when I recall that trip......

How does one get started on biking?? There seem to be tons of running training plans, any tips on biking? And any tips on how you approach the actual race?? Do you go hard on the running and easier on biking, or vice-versa.... I'd love to hear from anyone who has any ideas.

Replies

• aubeelynn
    aubeelynn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have no advice what-so-ever to give you, but just wanted to tell you how I laughed out loud at the vagina comment!! Thanks!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have no advice what-so-ever to give you, but just wanted to tell you how I laughed out loud at the vagina comment!! Thanks!

Ditto! :laugh:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a tri in October. I hear ya about the bike. I borrowed a road bike from a neighbor and am slowly learning to ride it. I ride about 4-5 miles a day and am practicing with the gears etc. I also have read a bunch of tri books with different training plans. That might be a great place to start for you. I find the more I read the more I know that I can develop a plan that works for me and my timing. :)

Good luck you can do it. Get a comfy seat and check out the fit for the bike and that will help a lot. :)
  • rgutie1
    rgutie1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would start with the gear. You do not need anything to shiny or complicated. Any bike in good condition (even a mountain bike) will be able to do a 13 mile bike ride. If you are going to purchase a bike I would suggest getting a hybrid bike. It is not designed for competing however it will be more comfortable and newbie friendly than a road bike. That said I think you would be fine with a road bike just make sure you fit well (ie. can stay in riding position comfortably).

I would add a pair of cycling shorts with a gel chamoise. This extra padding will help with the seat discomfort (so will fitting the bike properly).

For training I would choose a nice path were you feel you can comfortably cycle. To start off ride at a pace you are comfotable maintaining and trun around when you start to feel like you cannot comfortably maintain that pace. Over time increase that pace and the distance till you feel you can comfortably ride the 13 miles.

I think you will be suprised how long you can actually comfortably go on the bike. When I got my first "adult" bike during college I decided to ride down our lakefront path. I had no plans as to how far but kept going as I was enjoying myself, next thing I knew I was at Navy Pier, after walking around the pier I rode home. Later I got on the computer and realized I had ridden 15 miles round trip.
  • rgutie1
    Options
    It also funny that I have the opposite problem that you have, I want to do a biathlon but am not a good jogger/runner. I have ridden 30-50 mile bike rides but am intimidated by a charity 5k.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Get yourself into an indoor cycling class--preferably one that is focused on actual cyclists, not the typical "spinning" class. Not that spinning is bad--it is a good workout. But it does not teach you about any of the technique and form for road cycling.

You will need to get a bike too. Not sure how committed you are, but road bikes can be a big commitment. You might do well with a used bike, but get someone to help you with the sizing and fit. You might consider a "tri bike" as opposed to a "road bike" if you think you will be doing more triathalons/duathalons. (The biggest difference is the addition of aero bars, which stick out from the handlebars and allow you to rest your upper body some while cycling.)

As for your poor vagina, that problem is solved with a properly-fitting saddle and (unfortunately) time on the saddle to get your sit bones and taint accustomed to that position. If it is any consolation, everyone (men & women) goes through an adjustment period of several weeks when getting on a bike regularly. Eventually, the saddle will not bother you.

You should definitely do it. Train for it--it will give you a goal. But it will be fun. And the distances are in reality very short (though it may not seem that way now).

I was a biking newbie in November, when I started an indoor cycling class. I have been at it ever since. On Sunday I did a 50 mile ride with no problem. I am currently signed up for 2 rides of over 100 mi. in the next 3 weeks. I will be doing a 100 mi training ride on Sunday. It is amazing exercise (800+ cal/hr) and fun as well.

Good luck!
  • aviduser
    Options
    ONE MORE THING! And a very important one at that: rgutie1's suggestion of getting good bike shorts is right on. And don't be afraid to spend a little (like $100) on a pair. Performance usually has good deals (try the Performance brand). Try the gel padded shorts (better padding).

This is super-important. It will also go a long way toward easing the pain in your crotch.
  • aviduser
    Options
    Get yourself into an indoor cycling class--preferably one that is focused on actual cyclists, not the typical "spinning" class. Not that spinning is bad--it is a good workout. But it does not teach you about any of the technique and form for road cycling.

In case it was not clear, another benefit of such a group/class is (1) motivation and (2) folks to ride outdoors with on non-class days.
  • alirpd
    alirpd Posts: 3
    Options
    Gel saddle cover, padded shorts (they don't have to be hyper expensive, mine are a good make but via ebay) and then get out and ride! If you can get a little bike odometer you'll be amazed how far you go in a short time after a few sessions. Personally I think spinning classes are less use than actual road work but make a good supplement.

Good luck!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone -- while I can't get into any classes locally (I'm kind of in the sticks...) we do have a local bike shop that can probably help me with fit.

I don't want to make a huge initial monetary investment right off the bat (mom of 3, full-time student = not a whole lot of extra cash) but I will definitely look around to see what I want to get eventually. I'm pretty sure training for this will get me hooked on biking -- it's such a great cross exercise for running as well.

@rgutie1 -- don't fear the run!! Running reminds me of an old commercial for Rice Krispie Bars, where the mom sits in the kitchen all morning reading a book, then serves her family Rice Krispie Bars and they thank her for her benevolence and for slaving all day over a hot stove when in reality it probably took her 20 minutes to prepare them. I guess what I'm trying to say is running seems a lot harder than it is. It's 80% mental, and once you get over that initial fear, you're unstoppable!! Actually, if you're biking 50 miles easy, you're already unstoppable.

Thanks again everyone for letting me know what questions to ask and what to look for!! I think I'm going to do this thing....
  • rgutie1
    Options
    I wouldn't say 50 miles easy :) but thanks for the sentiment.

Perfomance Bike (.com or brick and mortar) do have lots of cheap deals. In my experience they are great for accesorries but I had a very bad experience with them in which I got very poor service when going to buy an actual bike.

I would say your local store is definitely the best bet for a bike and then I would watch performance bike for a sale on the shorts and maybe a computer. You can get a distance/speed computer for under twenty dollars and its great to have an idea of your pace and an accurate representation of your milage. The high end shorts are really nice but when I first started cycling into work I bought 5 pairs of cheap fabric chamoise shorts for $75.

Whatever bike you go with opt for 2 water bottle racks (usually one upright and one at an angle).
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Dear sister I have an amazing biking seat you can have. LOL :)