Skydiving Scare

Options
Hi all,
I have been a bit of a lurker on the boards lately, but i just wanted to find out how many of yall have ever been sky diving??

last weekend, we went to a very reputable place, for my hubby to go skydiving with his best friend, whos wife is expecting. All went smoothly and they had a great time.

then today on the news, there were two fatalities reported for that same place, a tandem jumper along with his instructor both died when i chute didnt open correctly

we are FLOORED and feel kind of idiotic for trying something like this right before the baby is due, and right after we got engaged!

So, open topic, what is your opinion on skydiving?! love you all ~Em

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been a bit of a lurker on the boards lately, but i just wanted to find out how many of yall have ever been sky diving??

last weekend, we went to a very reputable place, for my hubby to go skydiving with his best friend, whos wife is expecting. All went smoothly and they had a great time.

then today on the news, there were two fatalities reported for that same place, a tandem jumper along with his instructor both died when i chute didnt open correctly

we are FLOORED and feel kind of idiotic for trying something like this right before the baby is due, and right after we got engaged!

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I would never do it, but that's because I am terrified of heights. How many times have you watched the news and seen that there was a fatal car accident on a highway near your house? Do you feel foolish then, thinking about why on earth you drove you car that day, with it being so dangerous? Of course not. Everything has the potential of killing us. But still, that is a very sad accident! :noway:
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Man, I did it when I was 17..about 6 years ago..and I am terrified of heights! I completely loved it! Once we were outta the plane atleast! The worst part for me was the plane ride and right before we jumped out (I was tandem). Dont be so quick to freak out over this incident..there are going to be fatalities with every company that does this. Wait til a comprehensive report comes out and see what it says. Dont let this turn you off of skydiving!! I would have went many more times after my first time but I gained too much weight..Cant wait to go again when I am much lighter :)

77669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I have really turned into a "doer" type of person. I am so sick of looking back and wondering WHY I didn't do this or that over the years.

I get sick of "warnings" and never doing things because they aren't safe, or because so and so knew someone who got hurt or worse...I'm tired of all the years I have held back.

I always wanted to learn how to fly. So for my birthday my husband bought me my first flying lesson. I had a blast and I do no regret the "risk" at all.

If we let fear run us, we are victims...right? Think 9/11 and flying ever again. We can be afraid or march forward. I'm a march forward type of girl...I wouldn't have it any other way.

AND...Even though we have sharks in our waters, I have already picked out my instructor and class information to take surfing lessons this Spring! I can't wait!

So which type do you want to be? :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Kinda like plane crashes. When you look at the statistics, it's pretty safe, right?
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I've wanted to, and then not, and then yes. I would not be surprised if I do it someday. I have muted my adventuresome ways some since becoming a mom, but am still good to go. I say, use good judgment, what are the odds and what is it worth to you?

I have been bungee jumping off the highest legal bridge in North American (270 feet) in the early days of bungee.

I've white water rafted at least 40 times.

I bike commute. Nuff said. (There was a fatality on Friday where a school bus hit a high school sophomore biking to school. My children saw the body under the bus as they drove to school with DH. This is a route I used to take...but we moved so it's no longer part of my route. The school bus was from my children's school.)
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have jumped and I absolutely love it and encouraged my husband when he decided to take the plunge!! Yes, the next jump had a person who ran into a tree (yes a tree) broken an arm. Life isn't without risk.

I think there is inherent risk in everything and anything you do. Did you have a blast!?!? I bet you did so... don't even think twice. Horseback riding, taking a commuter train (LA this week), flying, running near traffic (ask any runner on that one) -- dangerous too but would you do those things -- I SOOOOO would and do.

I agree with Princess -- be a do-er!!

Life isn't worth much if you don't live.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    We had a husband and wife military couple walking with their dog in our area along the road...There are no sidewalks here. And they were both struck and killed...All three of them died. So even walking poses risks.

Hummm...In happier news...

What exciting things have you done sports wise like skydiving? :smile:
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    My cousin is an avid sky diver...He has done thousands of jumps, and 300 + man formations. He had an accident sky diving when he was kind of showing off....He turned to do a quick maneuver when he was about 30 feet from the ground to do a trick, and he lost the wind in his shoot and hit the ground. He broke both femur bones (your thigh bones) broke his arm some ribs, and has had about 20 surgeries, and his arm/hand still do not work the way they should. I wanted to skydive before all that happened, but it changed my mind.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Wait a minute--have I missed something here somehow, Sparkles?

Are you married already? Are you expecting?

I don't remember reading y'all got married or that you were expecting, so I must have missed something!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes, I noticed the hubby remark myself.. hmmmmm.

But the preggers is her hubby's friend's wife, whew mouthful!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

I have pretty strong feelings about "thrill-seeking" behavior, even if it's relatively safe. If it's part of a military mission or fire-fighting operation, then I can understand it. I won't be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just to test the Law of Gravity. Parachutes are mechanical devices and mechanical devices can fail, regardless of how good the maintenance is.

I accept enough risk in my life without adding more just for the thrill. I am a pilot with commercial helicopter and private airplane privileges and I'm working on my instrument airplane rating and hope to finish my helicopter instructor's rating by next summer. From my point of view, those are skills that can be learned and can be used for some legitimate purpose. Falling is just falling.

That said, I'm not going to stand in the way if someone else wants to do it. I might even be the pilot taking the skydivers up some day. :bigsmile:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been skydiving and absolutely LOVED it! The anticipation, the thrill, the breath-taking view during the dive! Of course, take into account the law of probabilities and that you only live once. My jump was tandem and we did a forward somersault out of the plane. So much fun! I've only been once, but would love to go again. My SO and his mom both want to go and I plan to partake in the ADVENTURE again. You only live once!

Hey PrincessLaundry, I'm a do-er too!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yup, i should have said hubby to be instead of just hubby LOL

being a do-er is the way we always have been..it just hit so close to home..timing wise

again on the hubby note, we did set a date!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Life isn't meant to go unlived :wink:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

oh girl that would have done it for me....NO MORE SKYDIVING FOR YOU!....but that's me....LOL...I'm too much of a worrier....sigh!

hugs chica I miss you!!!
    Ali :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I come from a long line of worriers, so I decided to do the things I want to do, and not live life in fear. that being said I would never sky dive.

Now....

I tried skiing-fell and hurt myself. Went back and did it again, didnt hurt myself but found out I DONT LIKE SPEED. So next year it is cross country..:happy:

Tried scuba diving and snorkeling-hated scuba and LOVE snorkeling, even when I hear about sharks.

Sky diving has never been an interest to me and it darn near scares me to death. On my eldest son's 21 birthday I set him up with skydiving, video and pix. It was a scream (pun intended)

He had told me a few weeks before his bday that he never did anything interesting on his day cuz it was so close to the holidays. I thought hmmmm, what can I do to REALLY surprise him.
    I loaded the 3 kids in the car with DH and headed for the boonies Fla. He was wondering the entire way....are you guys going to kill us and leave us in the Everglades and cash in our life insurance policies?

He had so much fun and we still talk about it when we are all together. So....Do what feels right to YOU. period. :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

I have pretty strong feelings about "thrill-seeking" behavior, even if it's relatively safe. If it's part of a military mission or fire-fighting operation, then I can understand it. I won't be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just to test the Law of Gravity. Parachutes are mechanical devices and mechanical devices can fail, regardless of how good the maintenance is.

I accept enough risk in my life without adding more just for the thrill. I am a pilot with commercial helicopter and private airplane privileges and I'm working on my instrument airplane rating and hope to finish my helicopter instructor's rating by next summer. From my point of view, those are skills that can be learned and can be used for some legitimate purpose. Falling is just falling.

That said, I'm not going to stand in the way if someone else wants to do it. I might even be the pilot taking the skydivers up some day. :bigsmile:

:huh: Do as I say, not as I do??? Helicopter photo...Hummm... LOL
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    :huh: Do as I say, not as I do??? Helicopter photo...Hummm... LOL

Did you even read what I wrote? I'm not trying to tell other people what to do. The question was about opinions and so I gave mine and don't particularly care if anyone agrees with me or not.

I don't think learning to fly airplanes or helicopters is on the same level as sky diving. For me, learning to fly has personal as well as practical implications. I can travel whenever, wherever without having to book a flight and go through the TSA hassle. I can make weekend trips that would be too far to drive meaning that I can visit family more often and in less time. I'm also in the process of trying to turn my hobby into an avocation. More than just a thrill, flying is a complex set of skills and I enjoy the challenge of it. Furthermore, it is estimated that there are fewer than 750,000 pilots in the country with only a fraction being helicopter pilots and fewer still that are dual rated. I enjoy being one of that very small group and I enjoy knowing that I earned my way into that elite club through study, practice and hard work.

I was an Aeroscout Observer in the Army during the Gulf War (1990) and that's where I learned to fly. That's also where I learned about acceptable risk. I got out of the Army and didn't touch a helicopter for 13 years. I finally decided that life was too short not to chase my dreams of flying professionally. That's why I got back into it. It hasn't been cheap, easy or fast but now I'm on the road to a flying career. Maybe I'll go all the way, maybe not, but I'll never look back and say, "I wish I had..."

...and I think that is what this thread was all about. Carpe diem.