Protein

Options
I eat healthy but it seems there is a lot of protein in some of the foods. Like the skim milk I drink has 8 gm Does anyone go over their protein and by how much and does it affect your weight loss?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat between 75 and 100 grams of protein a day. It is alright to go over some on protein.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Its great for weight loss, a healthy lifestyle and builds lean muscle. I do 80-100 grams per day as per my doctor and nutritionist.

Good luck!
  • makeupartist12
    Options
    Protein is good!!!! It's okay to go over.......helps build muscles which burns fat
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eating too much protein will make loosing weight a little harder apparently but if your looking to build muscle within your workouts then its important you up your protein. MFP sets the protein levels a little low in my opinion.
  • bob_t
    bob_t Posts: 12
    Options
    I love MFP, but I do think the website underestimates the amount of protein you need in a day. Especially if you lift weights and are trying to maintain/build muscle while losing weight. MFP has my protein goal for each day at 60 grams. I usually try to at least double that (120 g).

This hasn't caused any problems. I've lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks for a current weight of 170 lbs and I don't feel that I've lost any muscle. I certainly haven't lost any strength.

On one of the protein supplements that I take, it actually says that you should take in one gram of protein for every pound you weigh. But 170 grams of protein seemed a bit over the top for me.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this.
  • mzbrandyluv
    mzbrandyluv Posts: 103
    Options
    Eating too much protein will make loosing weight a little harder apparently but if your looking to build muscle within your workouts then its important you up your protein. MFP sets the protein levels a little low in my opinion.

ACCKKK!! I've never heard that protein can make you lose weight SLOWER?? This is not a good thing! HAAHA...every week my protein is over...by a decent amount...since I have a container of low fat cottage cheese every day! Egads....I shall have to look this up!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm over by 20 to 40mg daily because I work out hard so I need it for muscle recovery. It hasn't slowed my lost yet.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Protein in itself does not slow fat loss. An excess of calories over maintanence does.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did hear that about the 1 gram for every pound you weigh. It does sound like a lot. I exercise 4 times a week and do strength training also. I don't want to lose muscle mass but not trying to be a body builder either. I was curious about what other members opinions were and what they were doing. I just love MFP because you can ask a question and get so many responses. Thank you so much for all of them. I won't worry about going a little over with my protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy but it seems there is a lot of protein in some of the foods. Like the skim milk I drink has 8 gm Does anyone go over their protein and by how much and does it affect your weight loss?

I go over on both protein and fiber just about every day but it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My neighbor (who is a nutritionist) says that it is not one gram of protein per pound...it is one gram per kilogram. Which really makes a whole lot more sense and is a whole lot more doable. That is for maintenance, by the way. You need to up it some when trying to build muscle.