Quinoa

Options
beccala18
beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
So I want to try quinoa as it seems like a great, healthy grain to help mix it up, but all I can find at my grocery store is something called "quinoa seeds".

Is this what you use?

Replies

• mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yes that's it
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was seriously confused!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have some, how does one prepare it to make it taste yummy? (insert good quinoa recipe here)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa for the first time about 4 months ago and I love it. You can cook it up and mix it with ground meat and make the most delicious meatballs. I also used it in place of rice and made Spanish quinoa. It was fantastic.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just eat it plain but you can put ANYTHING in it. Oh, but I do cook it in fat free reduced sodium chicken broth instead of water for some added flavor..
  • lisapickering
    Options
    You can make a greek salad -- quinoa, tomato, cucumber, pepper, feta cheese, black olives and then I mix olive oil, wine vinager and oregano as a dressing.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    There are seeds and flakes. I use seeds much like brown rice in meals. I use flakes sometimes in the morning much like oats. The flakes are sort of a cross of oatmeal and cream of wheat in texture.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I cook it then toss it in a tablespoon of Sesame oil. I add chopped red peppers & cubed avocado's. Yumm!!
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe. I actually made it for dinner tonight. I don't put the carrots in it and I added a bit of mint along with the parsley. So good, and a nice summery dish.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Tabbouleh/Detail.aspx
  • katiusha
    katiusha Posts: 4
    Options
    I like it cooked without salt (adding salt in the beginning removes that wonderfully nutty flavour quinoa has, especially the red one), then mixed with orange bits (no zest) and a bit of sesame oil (sometimes mixed with avocado/avocado oil) and salt.

For a bit of colour and a different taste, try adding your favourite green, like young green onions or arugula.

I always experiment with new tastes for quinoa in a small batch, like 1 teaspoon, because some things make quinoa taste quite funny.

Oh, and don't forget to wash it thoroughly before cooking it. Most quinoa is covered with some plant extracted insecticide/"mold-iside" that makes quinoa taste bitter. I usually rince it a few times in a collander until there are no big suds in the sink.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Brinklj
    Brinklj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mix it with black beans and corn or peas with some finely chopped onion and cayenne pepper. It's so good!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So easy to cook, 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. I like mine a bit crunchy still.

Then eat it where you would eat rice or couscous.

Sorry if someone else has already replied to this.