HEALTHY (Vegetarian) PICNIC IDEAS???

Options
Do you haz any?

I'm strictly vegetarian (not vegan, I eat some dairy) so I don't have any meat products and I won't buy any.

I want to plan a little picnic after hiking Saturday. I'm cool with veggie sandwiches and fruit etc. However, it's kind of boring. My man-friend is very much a carnivore. He'll eat whatever, but I want to make sure he's full and fully impressed by my picnic packing abilities.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Replies

• ptzop
    ptzop Posts: 3
    Options
    Hummus sandwich with lots of veggies
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is a great blog w/ vegetarian recipes: http://www.dailygarnish.com/recipes
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    or have fruit instead of jam
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Made an awesome red skin potato salad yesterday.
    Red skin potatoes boiled until tender
    Lite Mayo
    Dill
    diced onion
    chopped celery
    Just mix together. Let cool for about 30 min in the fridge. Yummy!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mbcarreno08/view/quinoa-salad-with-cherries-and-pecans-80963

I make this all the time for lunches and my husband loves it...and we are meat eaters, but this is great!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Roasted potato salad.

I roast cut red potatoes, carrots and onions, (after theyve been coated with olive oil and rosemary and thyme) then then I toss them with a mix of half mayo half sour cream (you can use yoghurt or a vinagrette to lighten it more) and a tablespoon of lemon, lime and orange juice.
  • cszammit
    cszammit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love couscous and veg (sweet corn, tomatoes, cucamber, Parsley):drinker:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make "tuna" salad, only instead of tuna, I'll use chick peas. Just mash them with a fork, then add the chopped celery, onion, or whatever else you'd make tuna salad with.

Bean salad is nice too. Get a few cans of assorted beans, chick peas, kidney, lima, whatever and mix them up with some chopped celery, chopped bell peppers, onions, chopped carrots (need those crunchy veggies in there) and dressing of choice.

Also, you can go for more exotic veggie sandwiches. Use roasted vegetables (peppers, eggplant, artichokes, tomatoes) instead. Add some thinly sliced provolone cheese and that's more "manly" if you put it on some crusty bread.

Love hummus. Good for dipping sliced veggies.

Tofu 'jerky'. I take extra firm tofu, drain it REALLY well, slice it really thin and marinate it in bbq sauce for about an hour. Then I put it in the oven under the broiler. Spread it out on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and broil it on each side until the bbq sauce starts to caramelize and go crispy. Let it cool, put it in a container in the fridge. It's really good for something meaty on a sandwich, or sometimes I'll just snack on it out of the fridge.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad loaded with veggies and black beans. Think bowtie pasta, peppers-green, red, yellow, orange (or roasted red peppers), cucumbers, black olives, carrot shreds, black beans for lots of protein to fill him up, and a light italian dressing (wishbone light has like 35 calories for two tbsp and 4 tbsp is usually more than enough).

also a mozarella basil tomato salad-my husband loves this treat

the other option is to make wraps with veggies instead of a sandwich, any veggies and spread you want then roll them and cut them in half or slice them into roll-ups. When I eat them like this I always seem so much more satisfied and I think its because each bite is such a mouthful when you eat it as a wrap versus a sandwich.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Roasted potato salad.

I roast cut red potatoes, carrots and onions, (after theyve been coated with olive oil and rosemary and thyme) then then I toss them with a mix of half mayo half sour cream (you can use yoghurt or a vinagrette to lighten it more) and a tablespoon of lemon, lime and orange juice.

You just made me hungry.:laugh:
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    LOL me too. Im eating a lettuce wrap and carrots and houmous wishing it were roasted potato salad :)

5002082.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    They all sound so great!

I complete forgot about potato salad. What DUDE doesn't love that?!?

Thanks, y'all!
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    When I lived in Scotland I became addicted to the BBC Good Food website-- http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/ they have hundreds of vegetarian recipes and every recipe I have ever tried has been fantastic!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11691/layered-houmous-tabbouleh-and-feta-picnic-bowl

Theres a nice picnic choice for example. Just have a browse through and see what you like. Hope this helps!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I love a salad made with quinoa, cucumber, red onions, parsley and tomato . Season with a little apple cider vinegar. It's best made a few hours before to allow the flavors to marinate together. If you eat eggs you can make deviled eggs. Use greek yogurt instead of mayo to devil the yolk. Go to the bakery and get a crusty whole grain bread or to Whole Foods and buy a nice cheese to go with.
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    Southern fried Tofu!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My favourite picnic food is fritatta - it is so easy and you can put in just about anything that you like. My husband is quite the meat eater but he will happily eat this.

Usually I cook up a bunch of veggies - onion, garlic, carrot first, then some zuccini, capsicum, sweet potato or pumpkin (cooked), mushrooms, or whatever other veggies you like/have in the fridge. It's really yummy if you have left over roasted veggies.
    Then I often add a bit of left over pasta or brown rice, but this is optional.
    Beat up a few eggs (I use 8 for my BIG frying pan) and pour them on top of the veggies. Cook on the stove top for a few minutes, then sprinkle some cheese on top (cheddar, goats cheese, bocconcini, anything you like, or none at all) and put under the griller for a few minutes so the top puffs up and gets brown.

When it's cool, slice it up and eat it - yum!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pecan Crusted Fresh Mozzarella Patties....
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Black Beans. Real easy to make. Recipe includes veg broth, onion, corn and cilantro, I like to add some red bell pepper. It's just excellent. Be sure to rinse the quinoa first before cooking. Recipe also has nutritional info.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx