Can't find a good balance

Options
Vkoons3
Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
I have been trying to eat all my calories for each day and my excercise calories but on some days I find that extremely difficult. Yesterday it seemed like I was hungry all day and I ate throughout the whole day and then with my excercise calories I still had alot of calories left over. Today I am forcing myself to eat and feel overly stuffed and haven't even done my excercising for the day yet and I have plans to swim laps with a friend for an hour which burns almost 900 calories. I need some help with planning how to get all my calories in for the day without having to eat junk food for those empty calories. Before MFP I could eat 900 calories in a sitting, now that I am more aware of what i am eating I find it really difficult any suggestions and does anyone else seem to have this problem too?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    olive oil, avocado, beans, meats, milk, pasta are all good high cal fillers.Are you always struggling with trying to eat more?
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I completely understand! I had that issue yesterday. I had burned over 500 calories from my work outs and was only eating fruits, veggies and nuts throughout the day. I was starving by the time I got home and had 3...I repeat, 3 Lean Cuisines! They only added up to approximately 600 calories and I still had to eat my exercise calories plus some. Once my food settled I ate 3 strawberries with a little sugar on them, but couldn't force myself to eat more. I frankly don't understand the concept of eating your burned exercise calories. I thought you were supposed to burn more calories than you eat? Or something of that nature? Don't be too hard on yourself if you're under your caloric intake goal. But only if you are eating. Besides, some days you may go over your require caloric intake....
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem...for me it's hard to stay under or at 1200. I exercise just so I can eat more. I recommend Larabars (if you're not allergic to nuts)....they're actually healthy and delicious, but they're each about 200 calories. If you're short calories, you could eat a couple of them and it's good for you. My favorites are apple pie, cherry pie, key lime pie, peanut butter cookie, but they're all amazing.
  • Vkoons3
    Options
    olive oil, avocado, beans, meats, milk, pasta are all good high cal fillers.Are you always struggling with trying to eat more?

Almost everyday I struggle and I don't eat bad and I try to get some higher calorie more protien filled stuff in there I am just having a really hard time with it!
  • Vkoons3
    Options
    I wish I had that problem...for me it's hard to stay under or at 1200. I exercise just so I can eat more. I recommend Larabars (if you're not allergic to nuts)....they're actually healthy and delicious, but they're each about 200 calories. If you're short calories, you could eat a couple of them and it's good for you. My favorites are apple pie, cherry pie, key lime pie, peanut butter cookie, but they're all amazing.

No I am not allergic to nuts but I have never heard of them where do you find them?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to eat back all your exercise calories :)

Eat them if you are struggling with being hungry. Skip them if you are stuffed.

Feel really hungry and need more food? Exercise then eat some more.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you losing? Sometimes it may be accuracy, possibly you are thinking you are burning more than you are? I say that because yes... swimming can burn 900 calories an hour. But only if you take NO breaks. Constant swimming either crawl or butterfly... probably about 60 lengths total depending on how fast you swim? I always check with the scale, the appetite and the energy. When I am successfully losing I am only a little hungry, have amazing energy and am right on track with weight loss each week. If those three things aren't working correctly, I know I have to double check how much rest I am getting and how accurate I am with logging my food and my exercise. Good luck!
  • Vkoons3
    Options
    Yes I am losing at a consistant rate. I have actually did 66 laps yesterday in an hour without any stopping and I felt amazing and was starving when I was done. I have been sleeping really good at night and I my energy level is way up. The thing is that I have never been a really big eater so when I eat foods that are lower in calories I have a harder time getting them all in .

Thanks for all the advice everyone I really appreciate it and I hope soon I find a better balance!
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Larabars are at most grocery stores where all the other protein bars are...but if you go to Henry's, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, etc., you'll find a bigger selection. Don't be thrown by the ingredient dates...I hate dates, but I can't taste them in these...it just adds sweetness and holds it all together....the ingredients are literally about 3-4 ingredients.
  • Vkoons3
    Options
    Thanks...I don't think I have nay of those stores around where I live lol but I will look at my grocery store when I go I appreciate it!
  • Robadobasaurus
    Options
    Try yogurts too, natural ingredients and they are usually around 120 cals for a small pot, after I've eaten a yogurt it feels the same as before - they don't fill me up at all.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Milk, adds calories and it's just a drink so might not seem like your actually eating
  • jj112
    jj112 Posts: 5
    Options
    i wouldnt worry so much about haveing all your calories. i dont know what your daily calorie intake is but as long as you dont go less than a 1200 calories i think its ok a few times. potatoes, brown pasta, add a tablespoon of olive oil to your salads that should add a few calories.

Good luck =))))
  • jj112
    jj112 Posts: 5
    Options
    i wouldnt worry so much about haveing all your calories. i dont know what your daily calorie intake is but as long as you dont go less than a 1200 calories i think its ok a few times. potatoes, brown pasta, add a tablespoon of olive oil to your salads that should add a few calories.

Good luck =))))