Sweet potato Ideas?

Options
mercedes25
mercedes25 Posts: 47 Member
Okay so I have a few sweet potatoes right now, and I would like some new recipes! I would love for anyone to give me new ideas! However I don't really care for the whole cinnamon kind? Weird I know, considering it is a sweet potato!

Ideas anyone? Thanks!

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love roasted sweet potatoes. Cut them in cubes or long like steak fries and bake for about 40 minutes at 450 F.

You can season them anyway you like. I usually toss them in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and throw in a dash of whatever spice I feel like. A little bit of red pepper makes them nice and spicy on the outside and sweet on the inside :)
  • COG4U
    COG4U Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe on sweet potato fries. I'll try anything to help me toward my goal of better fitness.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Go to tastespotting.com and type sweet potato into the search box, then just click on the pics for the recipes, careful this site is very addicting!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are good baked the topped with sour cream and chives.
  • determined3138
    Options
    This recipe is YUM!

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad

4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 large onion, preferably red, chopped
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or less)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh hot chili, like jalapeño
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    Juice of 2 limes
    2 cups cooked black beans, drained (canned are fine)
    1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro.

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put sweet potatoes and onions on a large baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, toss to coat and spread out in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, turning occasionally, until potatoes begin to brown on corners and are just tender inside, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; keep on pan until ready to mix with dressing.
    2. Put chilies in a blender or mini food processor along with garlic, lime juice, remaining olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Process until blended.
    3. Put warm vegetables in a large bowl with beans and bell pepper; toss with dressing and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to a day.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you do not mind soup in the summer...I boil sweet potatoe and carrots then puree them in broth. Yummy.
  • latina1788
    Options
    i like to cut a sweet potato into 1.2 inch slices and put them on the grill. When it is done add some cinnamon.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Cut them in long thin strips, then brush them with a combination of olive oil and herbs. Bake in the oven or on the BBQ. Ready when outside is crisp and inside still soft.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BUMP - some yummy ideas here! Thanks!
  • mercedes25
    mercedes25 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Go to tastespotting.com and type sweet potato into the search box, then just click on the pics for the recipes, careful this site is very addicting!!!

Thank you for this website!! I might already be addicted, just from sweet potato recipes!!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have heard (not tried it yet) that sweet potatoes can be eaten raw and saw a recipe somewhere for a slaw-type salad with shredded sweet potatoes.

I like cutting them into cubes, tossing with olive oil, S&P and experimenting with different spices and roasting them. Some spices to consider:

cayenne
    garam masala (Indian spice, not spicy but there is some cinnamon in it but not too much)
    cajun or blackened spice
    or just plain salt & pepper

I also roast parsnips with them too.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i roast them right on the oven rack at 450 till soft. peel, mash, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. so good.
  • dshep04
    dshep04 Posts: 2
    Options
    My Favorite is to bake it smash it up with a wedge of Laughing cow cheese (any flavor) Swiss is my favorite.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    peel and cube
    toss with olive oil and onion soup mix and bake!! DELICIOUS!!
    I love my sweet potatoes savory not sweet.
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    something i did the other night was so wonderful im craving it now that im thinkin bout it.. anyway.. i just microwaved a sweet potato and fluffed up the inside with a tiny piece of butter, a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.. was the best! i dont like cinnamon but not with sweet potatoes either
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I bake the sweet potato (don't forget to fork it) for an hour at 400 farenheit in the oven.
    Add 1 tablespoon Smart Balance Buttery Spread
    1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon sugar (mixed together with cinnamon)...

It's actually under 140 cals I believe... but I'm full every time I eat this. Mmmm.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    step 1. bake for 1 hour.
    step 2. eat
    step 3: profit?

seriously though, they're so delicious. they don't need anything other than to be cooked.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    bump, yum, thanks for the ideas!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've had this twice in the last month and will continue to have it, taste soooo good.
    Basically this recipe here. I just don't follow it exactly.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/whipped-sweet-potatoes-and-bananas-with-honey-recipe2/index.html

BBQ Sweet potato - Last 10 mins throw in a banana.
    You need to have at least 2 sweet potato to 1 banana. I tried 1 to 1 and I tasted too much banana
    When done mash them both together. I add cinnamon, little bit of brown sugar, and a little bit of honey.
    Top it off with crushed pecans.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I love roasted sweet potatoes. Cut them in cubes or long like steak fries and bake for about 40 minutes at 450 F.

You can season them anyway you like. I usually toss them in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and throw in a dash of whatever spice I feel like. A little bit of red pepper makes them nice and spicy on the outside and sweet on the inside :)

This.... leave the skin on and they taste just like fries..DEEEELISH!