Need some ideas for sides

Options
I'm a potatoes and canned veggies person. I need some ideas for healthy side dished and fresh veggies. Any ideas will be helpful thanks.

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Eggplant and squash are so good when grilled or even sauteed.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump. I am curious to see your responses. We eat fresh broccoli here almost every day. My little man LOVES it.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I like to sautee my zuchini and or squash. You can also roast veggies in the oven. I have done brocoli and cauliflower and they are amazing this way.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love the green giants steamed veggies :) I love fresh veggies, but never eat them fast enough before they start going bad :P
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Always go with fresh or frozen vegetables. Canned veggies may be cheaper per amount that you get, but when trying to eat healthy, spending a little more money is completely worth it! Don't sacrifice your body for your wallet. I'm a very frugal person, so maybe try finding some coupons if it's a monetary issue. If not, just walk down the produce aisle and find veggies you love to eat! Green veggies are highly important to anyones diet. I'm a huge broccoli fan....steamed or raw. Make a salad (the darker the leaf, the healthier it will be for you), corn, carrots...any veggie is good for you. And always try new things! Once I started changing my habits, I started finding I was liking the flavor of foods I'd never liked before! Instead of your traditional potatoes, try sweet potatoes. While your traditional potato gets a bad rep, they are good for you in moderation! Best of luck!
  • misslyssx
    misslyssx Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump! I always have regular frozen veggies. French cut green beans are so yummy, but I need a change.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If not good with fresh veggies there are lots of frozen avail that just steam in the microwave. Just we vary of any with a sauce, unnecessary calories and fat.

Serve with a lean protein and that's dinner, add fruit if you like or a small salad. Need to be careful with the dressing on the salad.

When picking a veggie, keep in mind: potatos, corn and peas are truly starches and not real veggies. Better with the squashes, carrots, broccilli, etc....

You can do it!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Grilled or steamed summer squash or zucchini is very good. Steamed baby carrots, steamed broccoli. Sometimes I just like to cut up a cucumber, sprinkle with pepper and eat as a snack or side dish. Also, if you're looking for a new way to do potatoes, grilled red potatoes (lightly coated with olive oil, black pepper, fresh chopped garlic, and rosemary) is delicious...I find eating a small portion of potatoes prepared this way much more satisfying than eating baked or mashed.
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    Options
    Steamers (in a bag) are such a huge time saver. They have so many choices, and they are so much fresher than canned veggies.

Try those, and making your own salad.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My goto "salad" for work is sliced celery, frozen peas, and shredded carrots (you can buy these in a bag) - mix with Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing (this is really low cal). Peas are thawed by lunch time.

Broccoili slaw (also in a bag) this is really good mixed with fruit (grapes, apples, or mandarin oranges) & light poppyseed dressing

Dessert (with veggies)
    Sugar free Orange jello with shredded carrots & crushed pinapple (lime is good too)

Thanks for this post ..... I'll be looking too.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We live in an apartment complex so no grill--instead we use a panini maker to grill veggies. Peppers and onions are great over chicken or on a bed of lettuce with salsa instead of dressing. I also love to grill zucchini and yellow squash with a dash of white pepper (we melt a little sharp or white cheddar on top for extra protein, yum!). Another healthy option is brussel sprouts sauted with shallots in lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Rice is also a great side--just throw some herbs in the pot (oregano, cilantro, basil, tarragon, sage, depends on the flavor of the dish you're cooking) and skip the salt to stay healthy.
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like to make squash chips....Preheat oven to 350. Slice a squash into thin slices (about the width of an ipod nano). Put in a gallon ziploc bag, add 1 T of olive oil, shake vigorously to coat. Now comes the fun part: you add whatever seasonings you're in the mood for. Just try to use finely ground things (think normal black pepper out of a can vs. parsley flakes) as the larger seasonings sometimes burn. I really like Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning, or just a little salt, pepper, and Italian blend.

Lay out the slices in a single layer on an ungreased baking dish. It's ok if they touch, just better if they don't overlap. Bake for 20 min, and you might want to flip from bake to broil for another 2-3 minutes to crisp them up. Just make sure you keep an eye on them while broiling because they go from crispy to burned pretty fast at broil :)

I don't know the full NI, but that recipe makes 2 servings @ 72 cal each.
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    smashed cauliflour!! MMM!!!! Tastes just like mashed potatoes only BETTER!!!
  • ktndj82104
    ktndj82104 Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks I will try some of these!!
  • redmichelle67
    redmichelle67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if you get bored cut up some yellow or red tomatoes to roast with veg ...very yummy
  • utopiachild71
    Options
    bump for later!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    1) Steamed cauliflower mashed with 1 TBSP light or fat-free cream cheese, salt & pepper, is absolutely to die for.
    2) Zucchini, cut in medallions, mixed up [coated] in a bowl with a mixture of: beaten egg, 1 T French's mustard, salt, pepper, dash of nutmeg, 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free shredded cheddar, baked in the oven for 30-45 minutes in PAM'd casserole dish, depending how soft you like your zucchini. Delish.
    3) zucchini boats - zucchini cut lengthwise, seeds removed, filled with salsa and a sprinkle of light parmesan; baked in oven 30-45 minutes.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • nhazelwood
    Options
    Take it from me (I'm a trained chef), that healthy good tasting side dishes can be few and far between. All of our favourite sides (fries, mashed potatoes, buttered veg) get their flavour from added fats.

Your healthiest option is any steamed vegetable. But if plain jane just isn't going to do it for you, try these:

Oven roasted mini-red potatoes:

Canola oil
    Minced garlic
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Parsley
    Salt and Pepper

-Preheat oven to 400F
    -In a pot of luke-warm water, bring whole potatoes to a boil, with a bay leaf and salt. Boil until fork-tender.
    -Cool potatoes under running water, or in the fridge until they're cool to the touch. Cut into quarters.
    -Heat an oven-safe pan over med-high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp of canola or vegetable oil (if it lightly smokes, it's ready to get cooking).
    -Sear potatoes on all sides. Toss with salt and pepper. Place whole pan in oven for 5 minutes.
    -Turn potatoes and toss with dried herbs (if using fresh add after cooking). Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
    -Drain excess oil and serve

Vegetables like broccoli and asparagus are great lightly blanched and then sauteed with a bit of garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon juice.

Frozen corn, microwaved with a bit of butter, dried herbs, salt and pepper, are quick, easy, and can be prepared in a couple minutes.

Baked potatoes are GREAT, healthy, and can benefit from a small amount of fat free sour cream and chives. Please leave the skin on. It's full of fibre and iron.

None of these are fancy, but they are good home-cooking.