Loaded Question

Options
Yesterday I cancelled my bootcamp membership (political reasons). For 9 months it served me well. Now I must replace it with something equally - if not more - effective.

I am currently looking to replace those Mon,Wed,Fri hour-long sessions with an effective workout.
(Additionally, I run 3-4 times/week.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The more intense the better!

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    P90x, I am starting it today!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90x, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, or Turbo fire, would me my suggestions.

If you can borrow or want to buy them both my ultimate suggestion would be to do P90X classic, but substitute the non-resistance training for Insanity workouts.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity... I'm loving it! It's killer for sure. :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Get into a strength training program. This one looks awesome (I'm doing it after I finish my six month program):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My husband has been doing insanity and I want to try it, but I'm scared.. LOL. It will kick my butt. My husband is more physically fit than I am.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    P90x, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, or Turbo fire, would me my suggestions.

If you can borrow or want to buy them both my ultimate suggestion would be to do P90X classic, but substitute the non-resistance training for Insanity workouts.

This doesn't sound horrible...I just picked up $200 in dumbbells (FAR FEWER than one would think.../sigh) today and am considering P90X. Additionally, you can get a pretty serious cardio/strength training workout going on with just bodyweight, if you do it circuit style or interval style (Tabata in particular...as I mentioned lol).

If you decide to do P90X...message me ok hun?

Cris
  • Amgoding
    Amgoding Posts: 16
    Options
    I love kettlebell for strength and zumba for cardio! I hear insanity is excellent for a home workout.
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    If you can afford it find a gym that coaches crossfit... those guys are intense
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh
    forgot to mention i do insanity.
    i dont stick to the calendar, i do it 3x/week in the order suggested.

good point though, maybe i should just actually do the insanity the right way!!!!

i'm in ny, cant seem to find crossfit near me

i do have a gym membership and the hours are great so if i can get some tips on a workout to put together i can take it from there.
    im thinking circuit intervals just not sure what combo to include.
  • ShaeDetermined
    Options
    Get into a strength training program. This one looks awesome (I'm doing it after I finish my six month program):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

i like the looks of it just from the page address :laugh:
    gonna check it out, thanks!

chris, i know i know.
    i just cant swallow the 20sec/10sec bit. i'll do 2min/1min. hows that??? :tongue:
    putting p90x on my "to acquire" list and we'll talk!
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do a p90x/Insanity Hybrid (and follow it the schedule :happy: ! LOL)! You will wonder why you ever have to pay for gym membership again! P.S. I'm in NY too. We host free workouts on Saturdays at 2pm. Inbox me for more info!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    they all sound like good choices. I would love to try crossfit myself.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    chris, i know i know.
    i just cant swallow the 20sec/10sec bit. i'll do 2min/1min. hows that??? :tongue:
    putting p90x on my "to acquire" list and we'll talk!

LOL you're a braver woman than I am!! 2 minutes of max effort anything is going to be pretty harsh...and I mean harsh as in impossibly harsh for 8 rounds! I was watching a video of a crossfitter, Greg something or other...doing tabata pushups. This guy is absolutely RIPPED...seriously. He PACES himself at 20 per round...to score higher in the 8th round. By the end, he's still clearly fatigued, and his form is starting to snake a little bit. That's 160 pushups in about 3 minutes (not counting the rest intervals). The girl next to him in the video was pacing herself at 9 per round.

Running intervals are one thing (I couldn't even imagine 2 minute sprint intervals!)...but when we're talking strength training intervals...ouch lol =D.

Rachel...I'm looking more into crossfit myself...pretty cool stuff!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You may be beyond this level, but for $9, the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd is a bargain. A friend of mine wanted more than just the 25 minute workout you get on just one level, so she does level 1, then 2, then 3 for a full-hour workout. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. :tongue:
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest this too. I don't do crossfit, but if I could afford it, AND if I did not have a great alternative (P90X), I would do that.
  • TigerBlood72
    TigerBlood72 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can do some of crossfit on your own. There are a few things I wouldn't do without training but they have workouts like:

150 Wall balls (killer)
    400 yard dash / 50 pushups - 400 yard dash / 50 situps - 400 yard dash / 50 burpees - 400 yard dash / 50 air squats

Do these for time.

Just look at their site and I would say 60-70% you can do on your own. If there is something you don't know how to do watch the videos. I did this for a year when I lived in a town without crossfit.

Just a thought.
  • ShaeDetermined
    Options
    I love you guys, THANK YOU!!!

Cris, when I said 2min/1min i was most definitely referring to cardio!!!
    strength training i do in 30sec bursts or sets (24 or 16, depending)

Thanks Tiger and Totallyhot - Today's 3pm workout is still being designed, but I am going to include some crossfit sets and yes Cris, a tabata or two.

Here's to change! :drinker:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Here's to change! :drinker:

That's the ticket! I think that's more important than anything to be honest...changing things regularly.

I think you're going to beat your time goal by quite a bit =p.

Cris