Water Temperatures and weight loss. Findings so far.

Options
I told you I would do research on this and though I am still in the middle of research SO FAR THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT!
Do not forget that I work with a bunch of Nurses, and they are 1/2 and 1/2 on this subject.
All right folks there are different thoughts to this.
1. Water Temps cold or hot does not make any difference as long as you drink water.
2. Cold or hot water affects your metabolism and affects the gain or loss of weight.
I have noticed that for the most part the people that are saying that water temp on either the cold or hot side are mostly from blogs. This tells ME that this is mostly a myth... HOWEVER!
According to Chemistry 101, it takes a lot of heat to raise the temperature of water even a small amount. It takes one unit of heat called a calorie to raise one gram of water by one degree. With your body temp at about 98.6 (I run at 100. myself all the time.) and Lets say then that cold tap water is 60 degrees lower then your regular body temp.
A calorie of heat can only raise one ml of water 2 degrees. SO in theory you might burn 30 to 60 calories raising your body temp back to normal.
This however is still just a Theory...
A Scientific team in Sweden however did a study on the effects of drinking water temperature and weight loss.
Group 1 drank cold water,
Group 2 drank warm to hot water,
and Group 3 drank tea, soda and juices. With out any tap water.
After a month long study groups 1 that was drinking the Cold water showed about 2 lbs a week weight loss.
Group one showed 1 and 1/2 to about 2 pounds a week weight loss.
Let me stop for a sec to say WOW!
Group 3 that was drinking other things showed a weight gain of 1/2 a pound to a pound a week.
Again...WOW...
Science has proven that drinking water helps suppress the appetite which might be why the test subjects group 1 and 2 showed a loss of weight.
Now for what I have learned from the people that I work with:
We already know that drinking water is good for you. This is a nurse wide given here.
But different people prefer it different ways. Some like it hot, some like it cold.
This might account for why some people that drink cold water and like it that way, have great results from drinking cold water, AND like wise for those that like it better warmer or even hot.
I will let you all know what more I find out as I do more research.
In the mean time. Drink your water! :drinker:
--Diann:bigsmile:

Replies

• diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I told you I would do research on this and though I am still in the middle of research SO FAR THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT!
    Do not forget that I work with a bunch of Nurses, and they are 1/2 and 1/2 on this subject.
    All right folks there are different thoughts to this.
    1. Water Temps cold or hot does not make any difference as long as you drink water.
    2. Cold or hot water affects your metabolism and affects the gain or loss of weight.
    I have noticed that for the most part the people that are saying that water temp on either the cold or hot side are mostly from blogs. This tells ME that this is mostly a myth... HOWEVER!
    According to Chemistry 101, it takes a lot of heat to raise the temperature of water even a small amount. It takes one unit of heat called a calorie to raise one gram of water by one degree. With your body temp at about 98.6 (I run at 100. myself all the time.) and Lets say then that cold tap water is 60 degrees lower then your regular body temp.
    A calorie of heat can only raise one ml of water 2 degrees. SO in theory you might burn 30 to 60 calories raising your body temp back to normal.
    This however is still just a Theory...
    A Scientific team in Sweden however did a study on the effects of drinking water temperature and weight loss.
    Group 1 drank cold water,
    Group 2 drank warm to hot water,
    and Group 3 drank tea, soda and juices. With out any tap water.
    After a month long study groups 1 that was drinking the Cold water showed about 2 lbs a week weight loss.
    Group one showed 1 and 1/2 to about 2 pounds a week weight loss.
    Let me stop for a sec to say WOW!
    Group 3 that was drinking other things showed a weight gain of 1/2 a pound to a pound a week.
    Again...WOW...
    Science has proven that drinking water helps suppress the appetite which might be why the test subjects group 1 and 2 showed a loss of weight.
    Now for what I have learned from the people that I work with:
    We already know that drinking water is good for you. This is a nurse wide given here.
    But different people prefer it different ways. Some like it hot, some like it cold.
    This might account for why some people that drink cold water and like it that way, have great results from drinking cold water, AND like wise for those that like it better warmer or even hot.
    I will let you all know what more I find out as I do more research.
    In the mean time. Drink your water! :drinker:
    --Diann:bigsmile:
  • pamebn2
    Options
    Very interesting information. Thank you for sharing.
  • alymarest
    Options
    wow that was interesting. I never even thought about the temperature of water. :huh:
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    Options
    THANK YOU for that information I myself find that I can drink more water if its hot I drink 2 glasses of hot water to 1 cold I also put vingar (with mother in it) its good for the stomach
  • dncr8707
    Options
    wow, great post. I keep hearing that if you drink warm water it will make you feel fuller so you dont eat as much.
  • randyandkaren
    Options
    That would be great if it were accurate. I had a homework problem like this when I was an undergraduate physics major.

In fact you do burn 30-60 calories raising the temperature of cold water up to your body temperature. But, the sad part of the story is that when one refers to "calories" like on the Nutrition Facts label of all of your foods, those are kilocalories = 1,000 calories.

So, in effect, by drinking cold water you are burning 0.03-0.06 "calories", not 30-60 calories.

Like with most things, it is too good to be true. This truth however does not negate the body's need for water and the healthy side effects drinking plenty of water brings.

Sorry to spoil the bubble.