Calculate calories burned?

Options
Hello All

I'm starting circuit training classes on Friday, and I'm trying to decide the best way to calculate the number of calories spent? According to the utility in the exercise diary on this website, it will be 973 calories - now is this based on my height/weight/age that I entered upon registering, or is it on average for anyone?

If I use SportyPal or a similar GPS tracking application, I normally average about 450 calories per 30 mins of light jog - so I suppose it's not too bad an estimate!

What does everyone else do? I've seen those heart rate monitor wrist watches for a few quid on eBay, but I am a little sceptical!

Cheers
Maz

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The only way to really know for sure is to get an HRM. I found that in an hour session with my trainer where we do circuit training type exercises, I burned 670 calories.. granted i am a 161 pound female who's 5'8 inches tall.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    A heart rate moniter is a good investment if you have a little expendab e income. Anything from Polar is good. I got my polar ft4 brand new on ebay for way cheaper than retail. Its a good tool to have .
  • cassie_cordy
    cassie_cordy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a polar too! I love it! Its so nice to have because the machines are not always accurate and when you do a class or free weights its nice to have it. Its worth the money and you plug in what your height/weight/and male or female on it. Super nice!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Welp, my HRM does not give calories burned and requires I wear a belt around my chest which is a little uncomfortable. So what I do is, I have an app on my phone that calculates my heart rate (some are free some you have to pay and obviously some are more accurate). I determine my average heart rate, then use a formula I found online to calculate it. Then I add that workout to mfp so it is stored. I did it for a few common activities in the beginning to compare. It was only about 10-15 off from what mfp says so I am confident in the accuracy. Formula from website below.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/73315-calculate-calories-burned-based-heart/

p.s. not an expert!
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree, a heart rate monitor is the only way to go for this type of activity. It will also benifit you on providing accurate calorie calculations for any other activities (including weight training, etc.). Lots of machines at gyms tend to be a bit generous with the calorie calculations so a good HRM solves lots of problems.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are a great investment! If you get one make sure you get one with a chest strap...they are very accurate and actually tracks your heart beat like an EKG does. I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It only cost me $70 off of Amazon and the shipping was free. It keeps track of my last 10 workouts, how long my heart rate was in "the zone" during a given exercise session, and is also waterproof (I use it in the pool). I have found that my HRM usually has much different figures than MFP or a machine. My HRM allows you to use your personal info when setting it up....age, sex, weight, height. I don't leave home without mine!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Machines and MFP estimates were very high, for me. I discovered that I burn much less than "normal" during exercise, possibly because of my history of being active. I now use a FitBit, but a Bodybugg or HRM will do nicely as well.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hello All

I'm starting circuit training classes on Friday, and I'm trying to decide the best way to calculate the number of calories spent? According to the utility in the exercise diary on this website, it will be 973 calories - now is this based on my height/weight/age that I entered upon registering, or is it on average for anyone?

If I use SportyPal or a similar GPS tracking application, I normally average about 450 calories per 30 mins of light jog - so I suppose it's not too bad an estimate!

What does everyone else do? I've seen those heart rate monitor wrist watches for a few quid on eBay, but I am a little sceptical!

Cheers
    Maz

Hi Maz,

If you're in the UK, then you can get a heart rate monitor for about 20 quid in Lloyds Pharmacy....

actually.... I just checked, it's only 5 quid now....!
    http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/kinetik-heart-rate-monitor-15521
  • mazzy1026
    mazzy1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brilliant reponses - thanks!

Marianne - silly question, there's no mention of calorie counting on there? I will check out the Polar one's also...

Thanks again, fantastic...

Maz
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Brilliant reponses - thanks!

Marianne - silly question, there's no mention of calorie counting on there? I will check out the Polar one's also...

Thanks again, fantastic...

Maz

I'm not sure.... but I think here is another - I think this is the one I bought in the shop, only because it was cheap - £12.99

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-watch-and-heart-rate-monitor-35281
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    A hrm with a chest strap really is the only way of getting accurate results.
    I've borrowed one from my aunt and actually the macheins under estimated my callories burned by around 50-100 per 30 mins!
    a decent hrm is definatly a good investment!
  • mazzy1026
    Options
    Marianne - just ordred!
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Marianne - just ordred!

that's good.... :smile:
  • mazzy1026
    Options
    UPDATE...

Having completed a circuit session last night, my new calorie counting watch told me I'd burned 984 calories!

Pretty good!