Today is day one!

Options
Hello! My name is Amanda, and I live in Michigan. Today I got on the scale for the first time since I stopped smoking 7 weeks ago to find out that I have gained almost 10 pounds since then! I have decided it is time to make a change! I know it will be challenging, but I know I can do it.

I look forward to meeting others who can offer support and that also need support!

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You will find alot of amazing people here.
  • nattymc1
    nattymc1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi mamanda12, today is my first day as well. Good luck with everything, this site is awesome and should be super helpful! Not sure how to request friends yet, so if you figure it out, find me.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Congrats on quitting smoking...that is fantastic! You've definitely come to the right place...everyone here is very encouraging and helpful!
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :smile:
  • tjislovinglife
    tjislovinglife Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Amanda ! Congrats on quitting smoking
    Feel free to add me to your support group Toni
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well Congratulations on making a healthy life choice both in quitting smoking and in working to lose weight.

Here are some tips I figured out since I started using MFP back in February:

1. Drink more water.

2. Keep up with logging your calories both exercising and eating.

3. Make sure your left over calories for the day never go above 300.

4. Eat more protein than carbs, it will help build muscle and burn fat.

5. Switch up your workout weekly, otherwise your body will adapt and you will plateau.

6. The caffine in coffee is a natural diureatic.... meaning it will help you lose water weight and it will also help get rid of some of the sodium in your system.

7. Get a pedometer or Nike Sport kit.... it will help you correctly determine how fast you walk when you walk on a treadmill or in your nighborhood. I got one and figured out my speed walking in my neighborhood is just above 4 mph, on a treadmill going 3 mph with a level 3 elevation is 4.5 mph.

8. Weigh yourself once a week in the morning after getting up and using the restroom, that is more than likely going to be your lightest weight of the day. Weight does fluctuate anywhere from 0-7 ls per day because of food, gravity and water. For women our TOM affects it as well.

9. Ease into harder workouts to prevent yourself from getting injured.

Hope this helps. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.