moms to school age kids

Options
i just freaking dread mondays
i dont even work and i hate them
but my 8year old and 4year old have school
which means im up early with bratty kids who are not morning ppl!
no matter how early they go to bed mornings are still a fight!
lol my 2year old is happy in the mornings..TOO happy hahaha
i just wish we could skip right to the part where i pick them up!
haha

is everyones mornings school routine suck or just mine?? haaha

//end my rant

Replies

• TheHottestMama
    Options
    i just freaking dread mondays
    i dont even work and i hate them
    but my 8year old and 4year old have school
    which means im up early with bratty kids who are not morning ppl!
    no matter how early they go to bed mornings are still a fight!
    lol my 2year old is happy in the mornings..TOO happy hahaha
    i just wish we could skip right to the part where i pick them up!
    haha

is everyones mornings school routine suck or just mine?? haaha

//end my rant
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My mornings are hectic! I have a 14 yr old, 10 yr old and 8 yr old to get up every day...

I get up at 445, get myself ready and eat my breakfast, get their breakfast ready then wake them by 6 and head out the door by 6:10 everrryyy day. My husband actually puts them on the bus. But if I left the breakfast and dressing up to my husband the kids would go to school with a twinkie and pjs on LOL!

We make sure that we pick clothes out the night before and have them sitting out. Except for the 14 yr old, he doesnt care what he wears to school he grabs the first thing in his dresser lol.

;)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old son is a nightmare!!!! :grumble:

slower than a turtle to do everything - have to stand over him - okay lets go gonna miss the bus - 15 minutes to put on one shoe I wanna just :explode:

I feel your pain
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Our mornings are hectic too. I have two boys...ages 16 and 14. They both go to High School....different high schools which makes things even crazier. I get up at 4:45. Work out from 5 to 5:30. Shower until 5:45. Then I start waking my younger son up...he is NOT a morning person by any means. I get dressed and by 6 my older son is in the shower....I never have to wake him up. And I am back in my younger son's room, begging him to hurry up. I make lunches, feed the four dogs and one cat. My youngest is out the door by 6:15am. Now I can relax a little - drink my coffee, eat breakfast, brush my hair! On good days, I get a little housework done. Then at 6:55am, me and my oldest son are off. I drop him off at school and I head straight to work.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 and 3 year old. My 2 year old is usually up between 6:30 and 7am... shes always extreamly happy when she wakes up. My son the 3 year old is like me NOT a morning person! I HATE waking up! haha I dread the school days up ahead where I will have to get up early and get them ready. :grumble:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hey Mama ~ Sorry your AMs are suckin.... We home school, so mine are able to sleep in til 7:30 and they wake much happier.... Of course the 17 year old sleeps till 9 (cuz thats when she's finally happy). Whew.. freedom to make my own schedule...

I'll be praying for you though!:flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    My mornings are pretty bad too i have a 13 yo a 10 yo and a 8 yo.... my 10 yo is the only happy one in the morning and my 13 year old is a misserable girl ... she is a fight all the way to the bus!!!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't really too bad. We live in a giant two story farm house. My hubby and I are on the main floor and the kids up stairs. My 12 year old must wake up the 10 and 8 year old every morning, because when we yell up to them at 6:30 they are all already up. My hubby and I have alarms set for 6:00 but usually hit snooze this 6:20 then my husband gets up and showers, and starts breakfast and then I shower, when I get done we have breakfast then I fix my hair and do my make up while the kids go out and feed the animals. Then we all hop in the same vehical and drive to town together.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Mornings are hectic here if we don't prepare the night before. I have a 14 and 10 year old. My 14 year old has to be at school at 7:30 and I am very lucky that she is a self starter.

Here is how we do it:
    NIght before, we check homework and once done everything needed for school is put into their backpacks.
    I prepare their lunches while I watch tv and do dinner dishes so in the morning I don't have to have an "OH SH#T" moment.
    They take their showers and my daughter dries her hair so she can quickly straighten it in the morning.
    After showers they pick out clothes for the next day and then if time permits they get a little TV or video game time before bed.

In the morning: I get up and make sure my 14 yr old is up.
    I check in to MFP :wink: then go down and start breakfast.
    While breakfast is cooking I get their lunches packed into lunch boxes
    While they eat I have some coffee and breathe
    They brush teeth and we double check for deoderant (10 year old boy) and time for school.

I work from home, and this took many years to get down. I used to feel super scatter brained and crazy in the mornings until I realized the little things I can do at night prevent a lot of the morning chaos, especially if you and your kids are not morning people. I am and so is my 10 year old but my husband and daughter are as happy as a hangover in the morning :happy:

Good luck! You just have to find a routine for mommy and the rest will fall into place. :wink:
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. I wish my husband were around in the mornign to help out. But he leaves for work at 5:30am - before I even get up.

We can all probably agree on one thing.....it might be hard and hectic now but we will all miss it (at least on some level) when it when the kids are grown and gone. Enjoy it while we can....even if were not really enjoying the mornings!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Hey Mama ~ Sorry your AMs are suckin.... We home school, so mine are able to sleep in til 7:30 and they wake much happier.... Of course the 17 year old sleeps till 9 (cuz thats when she's finally happy). Whew.. freedom to make my own schedule...

I was thinking about homeschooling mine. How long have you home schooled for and what advantages and disadvantages are there?
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    My 12 year old son is a nightmare!!!! :grumble:

slower than a turtle to do everything - have to stand over him - okay lets go gonna miss the bus - 15 minutes to put on one shoe I wanna just :explode:

I feel your pain

my 8year old too!
    takes from 730to815 to get ready
    i just wanna yell! hurry up dammit!!!

i get up at 5am
    run on the treadmill shower and get ready
    clean a bit...cook
    wake them up at 730 get everyone ready
    then downstairs to eat and leave by 815
    dragging my poor 2year old around even thought she has no school
    but both my 8 and 4year old have school at 830
    at differnt schools.
    and my 4year old gets out at 1130
    where as my 8year old is like 3
    but my husbands a firefighter and gets home around 9am sometimes like 11 depending on the night they had at the station.
    so its all me :-)
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options

I was thinking about homeschooling mine. How long have you home schooled for and what advantages and disadvantages are there?
    We have been homeschooling for 7 years now... LOVE IT!!!!
    advantages:
    You set the schedule (I travel, so this helps me AND my kids get more sleep). I choose the curriculum (don't approve of some of the schools stuff). My high level readers can read at their level and above - not whatever 30 other kids are needing (my 7th grader reads at a college level and my 3rd grader is actually doing 4th grade work). My kids get WAY MORE exercise than at a traditional school. Our family's core values are able to be taught throughout the day and not just at family meals or outings. I can customize learning to fit my children's personal learning styles (my #2 & #4 both learn well from BJU math style, but my #3 does much better in Saxon Math also my kiddo who is not fond of reading gets some special things vs. my others who could read a novel every other day for fun). My girls at 17 and 12 1/2 are in their 6th year of ballet and my son is in Taekwondo (all through our home school program). The list goes on and on and on. I don't want to hijack someone else's thread, so pm me if you'd like.

Disadvantages are you are stuck with the kids ALL DAY LONG. I therefore encourage all home schooling Moms to take time for themselves. Some families (like mine) are anti-homeschoolers so you will have to have a strong constitution of why you are doing it and be willing to stand up to nay-sayers. You do have to plan a bit, but it is just like anything else important to you - take time, research, and have fun with your kiddos.

Blessings of success~
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My kid is pre-school aged. Does that count? :wink:

I'm reading all these accounts and a look of horror has spread over my face.
    I am NOT a morning person by ANY stretch of the imagination.
    Neither is my daughter. Luckily my husband has no problem getting up and out of bed, although he is not pleasant to speak to before his morning cofee.
    Currently, hubby gets up daughter, gets her ready for school and takes her, while I sleep in a little later before tearing out of bed to get ready at a break-neck speed to slide into work just a couple minutes late each morning.
    However, EVERY NIGHT, I set out my clothes and daughter's clothes, pack up our lunches and snacks, my gym back, etc. Having all those details taken care of allows me to wake at the last possible minute in the morning, brain-deadly clothe and makeup myself, and get out the door.

I am dreading the older school years. *shudders*
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember mornings with my mother....

She wasn't a morning person, and neither was I. My dad would take my sister to school early because she had to get on a bus from the elementary school to go to the middle school campus in another county, since I was still in elementary school, I didn't have to go early. As soon as I would hear my dad and sister shut the door behind them, I would run go get in the bed with my mom and we would go back to sleep....I was late EVERY DAY.

I don't think it really set me up for good school habits, but it really was great spending more time with my mother. My mom and I always had fun mornings before school, whether it was sleeping late or going on mini adventures on our way to school...I wouldn't take any of it back....even though my grades weren't always up to par.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    As soon as I would hear my dad and sister shut the door behind them, I would run go get in the bed with my mom and we would go back to sleep....I was late EVERY DAY.

I don't think it really set me up for good school habits, but it really was great spending more time with my mother. My mom and I always had fun mornings before school, whether it was sleeping late or going on mini adventures on our way to school...I wouldn't take any of it back....even though my grades weren't always up to par.

Omgosh, that sounds like such lovely memories of childhood.
    Grades are great, but they won't give you warm fuzzies like thoughts of snuggling up with Mama in the mornings. Also, I swear -- some of us are just NOT morning people. :smile: