Running / walking speeds - just curious - I know we all work

Options
Damn title limit!

It was meant to say "Running / walking speeds - just curious - I know we all work at a level we're comfortable with!"

This is a curiosity post more than anything...

I'm currently working on week 4 of C25K and it's still killing me (even though I'm in a repeat week!) I just can't seem to do the last minute or so of the last 5min run. I really don't find the 90 second recovery walk before it long enough.

My walking speed is 4mph and my running speed is 6mph.

I just wondered how my pace compared to other people (though I do appreciate that height / fitness levels etc make a difference).

I'm a complete beginner runner, 5'10", aiming to lose about 25-30lbs. I swim for an hour Tues/Thurs and on Mon/Wed/Fri do C25K, 25 mins on the machines and swim for 30 mins.

How fast do you guys walk/run?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Slow your running speed down. Jog/run as slowly as you need to in order to finish the run portion without walking, then once you can do that you can work on running it faster.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K and am on week 6. What really helped me was reading "Run Your Butt Off" at the same time... it's from the editors of Runners World. They stress that your running should be REALLY slow ... that has made all the difference in the world for me - thinking about the motion of running and not the speed of it. Speed will come later but right now it's about conditioning yourself to the pounding and getting control over your breath.

BTW I am 5'6" and average about 3.9mph when I walk and about 3.6 when I run :tongue:
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am currently walking but soon I'd like to start jogging. I am walking at 2.5-3.5 mph depending on the day.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill I walk at 3.5 mph and jog at 4.5. mph

Outside I walk at a 15/16 minute mile and jog at a 10/11 (5 or 6 mph) minute mile.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the c25k program, but I just started running a month ago and just did my first 5k Monday. I run about 6-7mph and walk about 3-4 mph as well. It sounds like you're doing just fine!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Instead of stopping your jog, running at a slower pace once you get winded.

I have asthma so I slow down to 5mph and walk at 3mph
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My average running time on the road is 7mph over a 5 mile run and 8mph on a flat treadmill surface (same distance). I can maintain that speed over the whole run but if running 10 mile i usually drop my speed to accommodate it.

I have to admit it took me about 3 months before i could run that distance 5 times a week without feeling wiped out. Now i don't even feel tired after a 5 mile run and barely sweat the buckets i used to when i first started out.

Your body will eventually get conditioned to it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

BTW I am 5'6" and average about 3.9mph when I walk and about 3.6 when I run :tongue:

You jog slower than you walk?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

You jog slower than you walk?

For now, yes. That's what I have to do in order to keep progressing. I do try to do one interval at about 5mph, but I am more concerned with making this a lifelong habit and not injuring myself, than being a speedy jogger. For now.... I'll work on speed later!
  • pixycats
    pixycats Posts: 62
    Options
    I think it would help to slow your run speed down a bit. I'm doing C210k, and I walk at 3.8 and jog between 5.0 and 5.5. Once you get the time down, it's supposed to be much easier to work on speed.
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same trouble when I started out. I like to keep the base walking speed the same (no less then 4mph). Then find a running speed that allows me to finish the workout. The important thing is complete the workout. With that said, it is mostly mental. I am now completing workouts that I never dreamed I could, when I first started out. Once you increase your speed you will not be happy with yourself if you back down.:wink:
  • clpott19
    clpott19 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K and on week 7 now. I dont "run" fast..nor do I walk fast. My walk is 3.2 mph (even though now, the intervals are all jogging ones) && my "run" is 5.2 mph. It's not too fast, but also doesn't make me feel like I'm going too slow.
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is very true!
  • ksweere
    ksweere Posts: 11
    Options
    I run 10-12 min miles depending on how hot it is outside - ie this week im def at 12 min. i am 5'9'

what i do is i look at something in the distance and make myself make it to that, this is even on top of my time goals. Most of the time ill get to the lamp post or sign and be proud and say to myself "see its mind over matter, the mind quits before the body" and push myself another 30 seconds or minute, until i need a visual goal again, i try not to quit until there is energy/motivation left it me, be it at minute 20, or 30. every day is different.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on c25k while I was on the treadmill and always face-to-face with my speed. I took it outside and found a comfortable pace for me, which turns out to be 5-5.2mph for running (3.4-3.6 for walking). It made all the difference and I was able to quickly increase my time/distance once I found that "right" pace. Also, as has been mentioned, getting off the treadmill helped me realize that instead of either RUN or WALK there can be 'run a little slower' and 'run a lot slower' and 'run reallllllly slow' as well.

For that last run that you're stuck on, try this..do the first 2 minutes at your regular pace, then slow it down by .2 mph for each of the next 3 minutes.

I am 5'3" and @155 lbs.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Having a heart rate monitor, I've tried to keep my runs within safe boundaries for my age - which means that I have to run at extremely slow speeds - which according to the treadmill its only 3.5 mph, but I do have my doubts as I know I can walk faster than that!

As you have noticed, I'm pretty short, but the principle holds true. For those using minutes to measure our distances, I think the program should be renamed "Couch to 30 minutes" :D
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did it today!

Walked at 3.8 and ran at 5.8

:-)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Well done, and at a great speed too. The progress on C25K really is astonishing.

You must feel so proud of yourself, and so you should. I reckon that deserves a glass of wine to celebrate!

Err... You can have one too if you like. :bigsmile:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you should slow your WALK down. I am not too familiar with the C25K program, but isn't the walk portion for recovery? I'm about 5'6, and walking at 4mph on the treadmill doesn't feel like a recovery walk to me.

I am doing a pace tempo interval program to increase the speed of my 1.5 mi timed run for the Air Force PT test, and I normally walk around 3mph between sprinting intervals. It is a good recovery speed.