Newbie - trying to find a way...

Options
I've been using MFP for several months now, but today is my first day posting. I've had some serious health problems over the past few yrs resulting in about a 75lb weight gain. I'm 5'11", so it's not a crisis, but 75 extra lbs will make anyone, no matter how tall, obese. I just got cleared to work out: 5 - 15 min every 3rd day, moderate cardio and no weights or lifting of any kind. I've cut down to 1200 calories a day and have been at that caloric intake for about 6 weeks now. And, I'm actually gaining weight. Because I'm eating that all at once, my body thinks I'm starving and is converting everything to fat. So, my Drs have me eating 5 - 6 times a day, but tiny meals, lean proteins and veggies, try to limit the fruits, eliminate straight carbs, etc.

It's been a week on that updated diet, i'm doing all the physical activity I'm allowed to, and now I've GAINED 3.9lbs. Seriously? I'm doing everything I absolutely can, and I gained almost 4 lbs in ONE WEEK?

The Dr says I need to do the best I can to be healthy and just have to accept that I won't be able to truely lose the weight until I'm healthy again, which doesn't look like it'll happen any time in the near future (I've been sick since Dec 2008 & there's no real end in sight).

So, how do I find a way to lose some weight? I know I can't go fitness crazy like I want to, but there has to be something I can do. Can anyone give me any suggestions? While the weight isn't contributing to my primary disorder, I know that there are so many other medical issues that can arise by being "obese," not the least of which is having to buy an entire new wardrobe. I know I can't lose it all until I'm healthy, but if I could lose at least 15 - 20 lbs so I'm "overweight" and not "obese." Please, anyone with any suggestions is welcome - I'll try anything

Replies

• nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your health problems, I know it can be hard. Are you drinking enough water? It seems like the 3.9 is pretty significant for what you are eating. Just do what the dr.'s say and dont push it. Good Luck!
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How is your energy level? Maybe you can just keep moving. Walking around the house, walk when you talk on the phone. Take the longest route you can to go anywhere in the house. Just a suggestion. I am not sure how practical that is for you. Good luck. Add me to cheer you on if you would like.
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    First and foremost, I wish you all the best in managing your health problems! I'm sure that's a daunting task -- I'm so impressed by your tenacity! But I'm also impressed that you recognized that obesity can contribute to health problems that could exacerbate your primary concerns.

Next, search the message boards for a great recent discussion of starvation mode. At your height, 1200 calories might not be enough to sustain your everyday needs. You may actually need to eat a little bit more. I'd talk to your doctor not only about your type of diet, but also what calorie level they think is safe for you, if you haven't already.

And I don't know all the details of your physical limitations, but there's a difference between "working out" and "activity." Can you incorporate low-impact, low-stress activities like walking into your day?

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!
  • htrshort
    htrshort Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the comments.

@nkteach - i drink more water in a day than most humans do in a week. it's the one thing I am good at doing. And, yes, when I was much younger, I actually gave myself some sympotms of water toxicity casue my theory was, every time you're hungry just have a glass of water. HE HE HE.

@2chubby4now - first off, i LOVE your profile name. the energy level isn't great - partially because of the meds, but partially because I don't do anything. I truely believe if I could get up off of the couch, I could eventually have more energy. I've thought of some ways I can do little things that might help, like you're saying - walk to the bathroom at work that is furthest away, I lke the suggestion of walking around the house if I'm talking on the phone. I've started using those physical therapy bands to do some stretching or minor MD approved strenght & flexibility exercises while watching TV. I'm gonna keep looking for ways I can make myself walk a little farther and do little things like that. A lot of little things could add up to a nice increae in physical activity. Thanks for that great suggestion! I never thought of that.

@ande2994 - thanks for your concern. I apprecaite it. I think starvation mode is totally what's going on here. That's part of why the Dr told me not to eat just breakfast & dinner like i was. But, have 5 - 6 little meals each day. I just started that yesterday (though I did a poor job of it and got caught up in what I was going at work and completely forgot to eat. Maybe I'll do better today). And, your comment about the difference between working our and activity... that's HUGE (no pun intended). I've been stressed about not being able to work out, but between your comments and 2chubby4now, I see that I can do little things throughout my day that make me walk farther, etc & increase activity / burn calories, but aren't pushing me into that danger zone of over fatiguing myself, increasig my heart rate, or exacerbating my pain condition.

Y'all are great. thanks for the warm welcome and the great support / suggestions. I really appreciate it!