Juicing and recipes for PCOS

Options
These Juices and recipes are great for those of us with PCOS and yummy:

Juicing cleans the liver. There are now over 700 known functions of the liver. Help keep your liver clear and get juicing!

Carrot, Apple & Ginger

8 Medium Carrots
2 Apples (Cox's, Royal Gala or Braeburn)
Slice of root Ginger (to taste)

Carrot, Apple & Ginger makes a delicious starting point for those who have never tried vegetable juices. It has superb nutritional qualities: carrots are a good source of Vitamin A and Beta Carotenes, providing anti-ageing and cancer-fighting antioxidants. Apples have an abundance of pectin which forms a gel that breaks down toxins in the intestines and helps maintain a healthy bowel function. Ginger is an excellent tonic for the entire digestive system.

Carrot & Spinach

6 Medium Carrots
100-150g Fresh Spinach

Carrots are one of the richest possible sources of Vitamin A and also contain an abundance of Vitamins B, C, D, G, E & K. Spinach is probably the most vital food for the entire digestive tract. It is naturally abundant in Vitamins C and E as well as iron and folic acid, which provide excellent blood building properties and help protect the body against anaemia.

With the above factors taken into account, Carrot & Spinach is an extremely nutritionally beneficial combination. It is also (surprisingly to some) very pleasant tasting.

The pectin in the apples and folic acid in the spinach make a combination that is particularly effective in removing built-up plaque from the intestines.

Apple, Pear & Lime

3 Apples (Cox's, Gala or Braeburn)
2 Pears ½ a Lime

This juice is simple but refreshing and delicious. As well as containing carotenes, pectin, potassium and Vitamin C from the apples, the pears provide an excellent source of soluble fibre.

Simply juice the ingredients in any combination. Peel the lime before juicing, but if you want more zest in the drink, leave some peel on.

Carrot, Parsley, Spinach & Celery

4 Carrots
1 Small Handful of Flat Leaf Parsely
100g Fresh Spinach
2 Sticks of Celery

Parsley can help maintain healthy blood vessels and a normal function of the adrenal and thyroid glands, while also acting as a diuretic. The combination is believed to provide excellent qualities for regenerating and healing tissues within the body.

Apple, Celery & Ginger

3 Apples (Cox’s, Gala or Braeburn)
4 Sticks of Celery
Slice of root Ginger (to taste)

Celery is an important source of sodium which is beneficial for the nervous system. The high mineral content of the drink makes it excellent before or after strenuous exercise.

Carrot, Greens and Hemp Milk

40-50g of Hemp seeds (preferably germinated)
4 Medium Carrots
100g Spinach
2 Sticks of Celery
Fresh Rosemary (optional)

Hemp is one of the most nutritionally complete foods available and is rich in Omega 3,6 and 9 Essential Fatty Acids. It is also an excellent source of protein. To get the best out of hemp it needs to be thoroughly washed and it is often a good idea to soak the seeds for 8-12 hours to start germination, and perhaps even to sprout them as this can increase nutrient availability.

Pink Grapefruit & Orange

3 Oranges (Valencia if possible)
1 Large Pink Grapefruit

Citrus juice makes a superb breakfast drink when the body is active in its detoxification cycle. As well as the nutritional benefits of orange juice, the grapefruit in this drink is rich in beta-carotene and bioflavinoids, particularly naringin, which is renowned for thinning the blood and lowering cholesterol.

Pomegranate & Orange

5 Oranges (Valencia if possible)
2 Pomegranates

Oranges are an excellent source of Vitamin C. They also contain bioflavinoids, calcium and Vitamin B6 among others. Pomegranates contain beta-carotenes, heart-protecting phytochemicals and Vitamin E.

Wheatgrass Zinger

1oz Fresh Wheatgrass Juice
1 Apple
½ a Lemon
Slice of Ginger (to taste)

A Wheatgrass Zinger provides an excellent introduction to wheatgrass and may be preferable for those who aren't too keen on the intensity of straight wheatgrass juice!

Simply juice the wheatgrass in the appropriate juicer followed by the remaining ingredients. Sip it slowly and enjoy!

Banana & Berries Smoothie

1 Large Banana
1 Large Handful of Strawberries or other Berries
2-3 Apples Yoghurt (optional)

Smoothies are a delicious way to conveniently introduce large portions of fruit into the diet and comprise a simple, nutritious meal in a glass.

Prepare the bananas and berries as appropriate and freeze them. Strawberries are commonly used in smoothies, but blueberries, blackberries and raspberries also make excellent choices. Place the frozen ingredients in a blender or 'smoothie maker'. Juice the apples and add to the blender with the yoghurt if desired. Blend until smooth then serve immediately and enjoy this fantastic drink.

Banana, Passion Fruit, Raspberry & Pear Smoothie

2 Pears
1 Large Banana
1 Passion Fruit
7 or 8 Raspberries

This smoothie works well as the subtlety of the pear juice allows the other flavours to dominate the drink: the result is fantastically refreshing.

Prepare and freeze the banana, passion fruit (scoop out the inside and freeze in an ice-cube tray) and raspberry. Place in a blender, juice the pears and add to the mixture. Blend and serve immediately.

Banana, Papaya, Apple Juice & Lime Juice Smoothie

1 Large Banana
1 Papaya
½ a Lime
2-3 Apples

A delicious smoothie rich in Papaya - a good source of the digestive enzyme Papain.

Peel and scoop out the insides of the Papaya before freezing with the banana. Add to a blender along with the freshly juiced apples and lime. Blend well and serve immediately.

Pineapple, Mango, Apple, Lime & Ginger Smoothie

4 Rings of Fresh Pineapple
1 Mango (Indian when available)
5 Apples
1 Lime
Slice of Ginger (to taste)
4 Healthy Dollops of Fresh Yoghurt

Prepare and freeze the mango and pineapple. Add to a blender followed by the juiced apples, lime and ginger. Finally, add the yoghurt, blend well and serve immediately.

Houmous (V)

Ingredients

400g tinned chickpeas
2tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
Juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon
Pinch of paprika
Seasoning

Lightly simmer chickpeas in water.
Drain chickpeas & place all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Tomato Bruschetta (V)

Ingredients

Multigrain rye bread
2 vine ripe tomatoes
½ glove crushed garlic
Fresh basil
1 tbsp olive oil
Finely chopped red onion
Salt and pepper
Rocket leaves

Toast bread on griddle
Dice tomatoes and add garlic, basil, olive oil and onion. Season to taste.
Pile tomato mixture onto toasted rye bread and garnish with rocket leaves.

Chicken & lentil soup (M/S)

Ingredients (serves 4)

2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 chicken breast fillets (185g each), cut into 1cm cubes
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
1/2 cup brown lentils
2 tbs pearl barley
5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken stock
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
3 tbs thick plain yoghurt
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat.
Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken and stir over the heat to sear. Add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute.
Add the tomato, lentils, pearl barley and stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir through the lime juice. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh coriander.

Chicken and Chickpea Casserole

Ingredients (Serves 4)

3 medium sized chicken breasts
1 medium red onion
1 large/2 small carrots
½ of a 15oz/400g can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1¼ cups/200g sweetcorn
1¼ cups/300g passata (sieved tomatoes)
or 14oz/400g can of tomatoes
½ tablespoon bouillon or other stock
5 dashes of tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pepper

Chop the onion into 8 sections (as shown) and break the layers appart as you put them into an ovenproof casserol dish. Peal and cut the carrots into round slices about a quarter of an inch thick.
Cut the chicken breast into small cubes and put into the dish with the carrot and all the other ingredients.
Mix the ingredients together in the dish and then cover with a lid (or foil if you have no lid). Place the dish in an oven pre-heated to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 4. Cook for 55 minutes then serve with yogurt.

Vegetarian Chocolate Chili (V)

Ingredients (Serves 4)

1 cup/7oz/200g green beans
14oz/400g canned kidney beans
15 button mushrooms or
8 cup mushrooms
1¼ cups/7oz/200g sweetcorn
1 chili (to taste)
14oz/400g canned tomatoes
4 tablespoons tomato puree
1½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons dry mixed herbs or
a handful of fresh herbs
1½ tablespoons cocoa powder

Chop the chili into small pieces and mix together with the tomatoes, tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, herbs, cocoa powder and crushed garlic. Use a hand mixer or a blender to make a thick sauce.
Chop the green beans in half and lightly fry them in olive oil together with the sliced onion. Add the mushrooms, kidney beans and sweet corn and fry for a few minutes longer. I used chestnut mushrooms cut into quarters as my local store were all out of button mushrooms.
Add the sauce to the pan, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes on a low heat.

Stuffed Aubergines (V) (M/S)

Ingredients (Serves 4)

100g pearled barley
750ml water
2 large aubergines, halved lengthways
1 tin chopped tomato with herbs
1 large onion, chopped
6 sprigs fresh origanum, or 1 tsp dried origanum
2 sprigs fresh basil, or 1 tsp dried basil
2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp Garlic Italian herbs
½ tsp Rosemary and Garlic
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
60g 3% fat yellow cheese grated, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil or oil spray

Simmer the pearled barley, covered in water for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile scoop out the flesh of the aubergine, leaving a 1cm shell.
Sprinkle the shells with salt and turn them upside down on kitchen paper to drain off the bitter juices.
Dice the aubergine flesh.
Fry the chopped onions and garlic with fat-free oil spray till brown. Add the aubergines and continue to sauté till brown.
Combine the chopped tomato and herbs with the sautéed mixture.
Add the prepared pearled barley, stir in the 3 % fat cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Rinse the aubergine shell out with cold water and drain and pat dry.
Fill with stuffing and bake for 30 minutes in oven preheated to 180C.

Banana and Nut Cookies

Ingredients (Makes 12 Large cookies)

4 Bananas
2 cups/170g soy/soya flour
½ cups/60g wholemeal flour
2 eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup/25g cashew nuts
¼ cup/30g raisins

Mash all 4 bananas in a small bowl using a fork, then transfer to a larger cooking bowl. If you want to have less washing up you can mash the bananas in the large bowl but you will find it a lot harder work.
Slowly mix the soy and wholemeal flour into the bananas causing the mixture to thicken.
Mix in the eggs and olive oil to form form a smooth paste.
Add the cashew nuts and raisins and gently mix them in.
Line two baking trays with baking parchment and lightly grease the surface with a little butter. Using two spoons transfer six large scoops of the mixture onto each baking tray. Cook for 15 minutes in an oven preheated to 190°C/380°F/Gas Mark 5.

Strawberry and Banana Smoothie

Ingredients (Makes 1 Serving)

½ a small banana
100g strawberries
½ cup of evaporated low fat milk, well chilled
1/3 cup 0% fat Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon honey
few drops vanilla essence

Peel banana and chop roughly together with strawberries.
Combine with remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and thick.
Serve immediately.

Tropical Fruit Salad

Ingredients (Serves 2)

3 clementines
6 lychees
1 mango
50g grapes, halved and seeded
1 tbsp Cointreau (optional)

Peel each clementine, removing the pith as well as the skin. Halve the fruit lengthways, then slice into thin half-moons. Tip into a mixing bowl with their juice.
Peel and stone the lychees, holding them over the prepared clementines, so you can catch the juice as you work. Tear the fruit roughly into quarters.
Peel the mango with a serrated knife. Cut the flesh away from the mango stone in 4 pieces. Cut the pieces into elegant slices and add to the mix. Put in the grape halves and Cointreau. Transfer to a serving bowl and, if possible, leave to macerate for 30 minutes at room temperature.

Replies

• yeeblazer
    Options
    i found your post while doing research on PCOS and juicing - I saw yours just after reading this: http://pcosdiva.com/2012/06/benefits-of-juicing-for-pcos/

" As women with PCOS, we have to be very careful with our juice combinations. Juicing too many fruits and sweet veggies like carrots and beets without any fiber to blunt the insulin response, can get us in trouble. I try to stick with a 3 to 1 ratio of veggies to fruit.
    My perfect juice combo is cucumber, kale, green apple and a little lemon. You can use the guideline below to come up with your perfect juice.
    50% cucumber, celery, zucchini rhubarb or broccoli stems.
    25% dark leafy green like kale, collards, cabbage, spinach or romaine,
    25% green apple, pear, strawberry, blueberries, cranberries, grapefruit, orange, carrot, beet
    Extras: lemon, lime, ginger root (a little goes a long way), mint, cilantro, parsley"

But many of your recipes don't fit this direction, do you have any sources as to the benefit of your recipes?
  • mizzlizz27
    mizzlizz27 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love juicing! I believe in the healing of it 100% as stated in previous posts, us women with PCOS have to watch what we are juicing. I have changed my diet and am almost 100% vegan. I have seen my health improve in leaps and bounds. I will never go back to the way I use to eat. I do not feel deprived either. It is so amazing to me to see how food can heal us or make us sick.
    PCOS is no fun, but we can reverse most, if not all symptoms. :) Cysters come check out my new blog. I would love for you to join me.
    http://36af7eyvcexv30ikydneo4ph1o.hop.clickbank.net/
  • sunmaid1985
    Options
    bump
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • clhandwerk
    clhandwerk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i agree that you dont want to have too much fruit with your juice but i do think there are many benifits from jucing at least as temporary solution. then transition to healthy foods. :)
  • readytocommit114
    Options
    Could some of you tell me about PCOS? Why can't you have insulin spikes? I hadn't realised it had anything to do with blood sugar. I am having tests for it next week, I know it can cause weight gain. i am 18 and 5'6" and 115-122lbs will I gain loads of weight? Thanks!
  • clhandwerk
    Options
    heres a link i found about a short article about juicing and pcos
    http://juicingtherainbow.com/848/disease/polycystic-ovary-syndrome/juicing-for-polycystic-ovary-syndrome/

I think im going to juice and do protein shakes to help with getting enough protein in my diet as well. Plus maybe it will help with transitioning.
  • clhandwerk
    Options
    hey readytocommit i sent you a msg.