Not enough Calcium

Options
Since I've started tracking my diet, I have never once met my calcium recommendation (usually not even close). I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, I just don't like milk, cottage cheese, etc.

What are some healthy foods that I can eat in order to get enough calcium?

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    tofu, calcium enriched bread, almonds. you can get gum that will give you 10% of your intake if you chew it for 10 minutes. if you don't like milk or yoghurt you can incorporate it into smoothies or your protein shakes.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    thank you :)

i eat yogurt sometimes but its the flavored yoplait kind so its not that healthy :/

but i'll look into buying tofu, almonds, and the calcium bread!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Here's a list I found by googling it:

http://www.iofbonehealth.org/patients-public/about-osteoporosis/prevention/nutrition/calcium-rich-foods.html

There's plenty of vegetables with calcium in them as well. Have you considered just taking a supplement as well though? It's especially important for women to get enough calcium for future bone health.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options

i eat yogurt sometimes but its the flavored yoplait kind so its not that healthy :/

if you want flavoured yoghurt you can mix greek/natural with some fruit like berries. it really sweetens it up and i find it masks the 'sourness' of the yoghurt. i love the sour taste but sometimes i need a sugary kick :P just try mixing different things in with your yoghurt and see what you like :D peanut are awesome too.
    ohhh and sardines! nearly forgot about those babies. 1 can (120g) = 26g calcium!
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options

if you want flavoured yoghurt you can mix greek/natural with some fruit like berries. it really sweetens it up and i find it masks the 'sourness' of the yoghurt. i love the sour taste but sometimes i need a sugary kick :P just try mixing different things in with your yoghurt and see what you like :D peanut are awesome too.
    ohhh and sardines! nearly forgot about those babies. 1 can (120g) = 26g calcium!

lol the yogurt is more of the "mousse" kind --> the strawberry mist whips since i like the texture better. but i do like frozen yogurt so maybe i can freeze the natural/greek yogurt after i mix it with fruit? i like peanuts too but they are so high in calories! I actually have never eaten a sardine before :P
    Here's a list I found by googling it:

http://www.iofbonehealth.org/patients-public/about-osteoporosis/prevention/nutrition/calcium-rich-foods.html

There's plenty of vegetables with calcium in them as well. Have you considered just taking a supplement as well though? It's especially important for women to get enough calcium for future bone health.

I checked out the website --> thanks!
    I kind of wanted to stay on the "natural" route so I usually avoid taking medicine or supplements and stuff. I would rather just get it straight from the plant or food or whatever.