swollen knees?

Options
I started the 30ds four days ago and my knees were hurting so i bought new shoes and that seems to have helped. My knees pop daily since i started working out a few months ago. But today i noticed a lot of swelling in my right knee and a little bit in my left not hurting but very swollen. Any ideas as to why and if it's a bad sign? I don't want to injure myself. So if you have advice i'd love to hear it. This is the first time i've done so many workouts in a row and in a week even. Thanx

Replies

• mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    could be water build up in the knee, I would see a Dr. and make sure it's not anything serious. Worse case, he/she will just drain the fluid buid up in the knee.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You know we're all going to tell you to go to the doctor, right? :wink:

Here's a little info on swollen knees. This should get you making that appointment! Hope it's nothing major.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee/f/kneeswelling.htm
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what can be causing this, maybe its just because your body is not used to the intensity and frequent workouts. If they don't hurt maybe its just water retention?

well this is what i do when i have swollen joints, I take ibuprofen and do RICE

Rest - Take a few days off from doing anything that will aggravate your knee

Ice - Put Ice on it right after your workouts it will help keep the swelling down

Compression - Find a neoprene type knee brace/sleeve and it should help keep your knee from swelling ( also try wearing it when you exercise it might help)

Elevation - When you are resting prop up your leg on a pillow above your heart level if possible.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    It honestly could be a lot of things. And the doctor is always the best place to start.

I have clicky knees and mine's because of my knee not tracking right due to annihilated tendons and ligaments in my right knee/ankle/lower leg.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the advice. I don't have insurance so running to the doc is not quite so easy. My sister said when hers did this she was told to take ibprufen 3x daily and rest for a week-no exercise. So there goes continuing the shred in a row-but i might still do a few things without my knees.