Looking for GOOD Yoga Videos/Routines!

harls
harls Posts: 88 Member
I'm going to begin doing yoga in the mornings and I wanted to know if you lovely folks have any recommendations!

Here's a list of things I'm looking for in the yoga video:
- More "yoga" than "pilates" based
- Preferably intermediate yoga but any level is okay
- At least 30 mins long but no more than an hour

That's it! If you could please tell me the name of the video & instructor and give me a brief review of it I'd be eternally grateful! Thanks.

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Bump....I am forever looking for the "right" yoga dvd. :(
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    I just started Yoga Booty Ballet, and I love it! I have never tried yoga before, because I am NOT into meditation or intentions, energy, etc... but my friend let me borrow these dvds, and I loved them. I just skip through the first 5 minutes and the end.

A sweaty workout, got my heartrate up, but I didn't feel like I was going to die. I feel great the rest of the day too.
  • AFitasticYou
    AFitasticYou Posts: 170
    I love Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    bump!! all I have is P90x yoga but I am interested in something different! I was told tony horton has other yoga dvds other than the p90x one and I was considering that one!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Both of these are intermediate routines.

Rodney Yee Total Body: 60 minutes (I use this one in place of the Yoga X when doing P90X)
    Sara Ivanhoe On The Edge (has 3 workouts) .. sunrise: 57, high noon: 38, sunset: 26 minutes
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I did JM Yoga Meltdown once and thought it was awesome.

Tony Horton has Fountain of Youth Yoga and Ho' Ala ke Kino yoga DVD's available.
  • harls
    perrytyra - That sounds pretty good, thanks! I 'll give it a try I think.

MirrorMom - That's great! Do you have any specific advice on what the video is like?

cinico - Are his yoga workouts as intense as his regular workout videos?

hiddensecant - Thank you very much. I'll look into those for sure.

BrentGetsFit - Thanks! What are the videos like? (ex: fast-paced or relaxing, long or short, for flexibility or strength, etc etc)
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    The JM video is about 40 minutes I think and meant to be a yoga/cardio blend so while it's not fast paced it's not meditation either. I was sweating more than I thought possible but actually laughed out loud after I finished because I felt really good! I've got the Ho' Ale ke Kino coming in the mail this week and having done the yoga bits Tony includes in Power 90 it's probably very similar, geared towards improving flexibility. I haven't done the Fountain of Youth yet but know people seem to like it better than Yoga X if that helps. Good luck!
  • harls
    The JM video is about 40 minutes I think and meant to be a yoga/cardio blend so while it's not fast paced it's not meditation either. I was sweating more than I thought possible but actually laughed out loud after I finished because I felt really good! I've got the Ho' Ale ke Kino coming in the mail this week and having done the yoga bits Tony includes in Power 90 it's probably very similar, geared towards improving flexibility. I haven't done the Fountain of Youth yet but know people seem to like it better than Yoga X if that helps. Good luck!

Ahhhh that's insanely helpful. I think the JM video is just what I'm looking for! Thank you so much.
  • I second the Sara Ivanhoe suggestion - I have one of her dvd's that has multiple 20 minute routines on that focus on various body parts, while still working the rest of your bod too. She just has a really good way of talking you through the moves and not being too mystical about it while still being very calming and relaxing.
  • laneyh42
    laneyh42 Posts: 24 Member
    If you're looking for something unusual but definitely yoga try Kundalini yoga. Very active and engaged.
  • I found a great collection of online Yoga videos at corepoweryoga.com Click the tab that says "Watch Yoga on Demand" and they'll give you a free week to try it out.

It is about $10/month (less if you pay for more than 3 months at a time), but still cheaper than going to the studio. They have a lot of videos that you can sort by time, beginner to advanced, class type or instructor. They have anything from 5 minute to 60 minute classes and it's awesome that I can get 15 or 20 minutes in on a really busy day. I have been doing these classes for 12 days now and I already have a TWO PACK! Haha! They really do work! They start you with the first week for free and I thought I'd just give it a try, no big deal, but I freaked out when it said my week was up! I look forward to these classes every day! It's the very first "exercise program" I have ever stuck with for more than a few days!

You'll have to let us know how your search goes and what you end up liking the best!
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    I highly, highly, highly recommend www.myyogaonline.com. It's about 10 or so dollars a month, or about 100 for a year, but if you're doing yoga regularly, it's totally worth it because you won't get bored. They have hundreds of videos, varying from beginner to advanced, 20 - 90 minutes. All the instructors are really awesome. Recently they've also started to get videos from "celebrity" yoga instructors like Shiva Rea, and some others. If you check out the website, you can see sample clips of all the videos to get a feel of it.

Also, for when you want something different, they have some pilates and belly dancing classes too. :)