Worst Weight Loss Advice You've Received

Options

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    "try a colon cleanse once a month, they remove all the toxins in your body that cause you to gain weight."

"eat ONE large meal a day."

"Try the atkins diet."

and my favorite " Why don't you go on that twinkie diet? You know that woman really did lose weight."

eating 1 large meal a day has a ton of health benefits compared to spreading your meals throughout the day.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My cousin lost a ton of weight and we all wondered how the heck she did it.... her answer was that we should all starve our selves!!! Sad thing is that's what we did for about 2 weeks... and then gained it all back and some =/ stupid stupid me!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The 9 beer work out.

Granted it was fun, but I think I barfed out something important. I was young, ok!?!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I was chubby evan as a child. My grandpa used to tell me I would never get a good husband if I did not lose weight. Great thing to tell a child. I know he was trying to motivate me to lose weight. Did the opposite of that.

As a side note I am married to a wonderful man and when I get together with family I am one of the few who does not complain about their spouse or have gone through a divorce.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    my father once told me that i wouldn't have to exercise if I just bent over more to pick up my things off the floor... not sure if that was exercise advice or him telling me i was a slob... lol....

Very nice Parents ya gotta love em
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I think the worst advice I've ever gotten about weight loss was any coming from one of my fat family members....that never exercise, never eat healthy, and constantly complain about being fat. But hey they know exactly what I can do to lose weight. :noway: :grumble:

I get the same *kitten*. My family and stepfamily think they know everything there is to know about losing weight, but they're all out of shape.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Just thought this would fit in this thread. :laugh: :laugh:

Miracle Beer Diet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3deQmyRHw
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    V. funny! My mother in law told me to stop exercising because it makes you hungry and to drink lots of black tea to suppress your appetite! Um, thanks??

hahahahahha. this one made me laugh out loud.
  • kgs0201
    Options
    I was chubby evan as a child. My grandpa used to tell me I would never get a good husband if I did not lose weight. Great thing to tell a child. I know he was trying to motivate me to lose weight. Did the opposite of that.

As a side note I am married to a wonderful man and when I get together with family I am one of the few who does not complain about their spouse or have gone through a divorce.

parent's (and grandparent's) can be so harsh and I love how everything used to be based on just finding a "good husband"... my mom told me that if I didn't meet the man I would marry in college then I would never get married. She met my dad her senior year, got married six months later, and then divorced 10 years after that. Sound advice mom. LOL... (side note: I did meet a guy in college and we are getting married but after 5 years of dating... not six months)
  • StephanieDuckie
    Options
    My brother-in-law [who's only ambition is to sit around the house and play video games] told me that a "high weight high rep would get me toned out faster than a high weight low rep". He also told me that my dance cardio isn't doing anything for me but making me sweaty. Says the boy who's never worked out, right?
  • kgs0201
    Options
    Just thought this would fit in this thread. :laugh: :laugh:

Miracle Beer Diet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3deQmyRHw

umm. can i have her body? (i mean this in a non-sexual way...)
  • notapromqueen
    notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have actually had someone tell me that I can drop 20lbs. quick if I don't eat for two weeks. I also have a family member who buys all those infommercial 'workout' devices? Remember the shock therapy one? The one that looks like a HUGE tummy-tucker that you wrap around your abs, and it sends shock waves to your muscles? Yep..... She actually bought one of those.
  • lexrobin2
    lexrobin2 Posts: 33
    Options
    anyone ever try the "hot dog diet"? hysterical

Ive heard of eating ice chips, or only lettuce. How about just a few pieces of bread throughout the day, aahhh, the teenage years. They say to graze, then they say not to graze. This one says cut out salt, that other one says cut out sugar. This one says eat before bed, that other one says not after 6pm. Out of all the contradictions with nutritional advice, one thing is for certain: EVERYONE thinks their a expert after they lose 2 pounds. I say, figure out what works for you, your body, your lifestyle. Listen to what other people offer, but dont take it for the bible. This is why I love MFP. It truly works for me. After many, many years of chasing my tail around and around listening to others, I am comfortable with looking at my charts, tracking my intake, and trusting and believing in myself and my good, logical, common sense. And no more hot dog diets :ohwell:
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have actually had someone tell me that I can drop 20lbs. quick if I don't eat for two weeks. I also have a family member who buys all those infommercial 'workout' devices? Remember the shock therapy one? The one that looks like a HUGE tummy-tucker that you wrap around your abs, and it sends shock waves to your muscles? Yep..... She actually bought one of those.

LMAO my brother bought one of those! He sits around playing video games all day, and sleeps the other part of the day away but you can bet he's burning those cals because he's got his belt on!!!
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Eat only iceburg lettuce for two weeks. Ugh.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law [who's only ambition is to sit around the house and play video games] told me that a "high weight high rep would get me toned out faster than a high weight low rep". He also told me that my dance cardio isn't doing anything for me but making me sweaty. Says the boy who's never worked out, right?

As a woman...you can get away with higher weight (generally you have to decrease the reps though, simply because the weight is heavier). The more muscle you build the faster you'll shed bodyfat....and you genetically aren't predisposed to 'bulk up'...so it's a win/win!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    More health advice than weight loss, but I had a doctor prescribe me 6 different vitamins and daily aspirin the first time we met. She assumed I was deficient without doing any tests at all. I've never gone back. This is the same doctor who decided I had PCOS based on two generic symptoms. I don't. She prescribed the aspirin because my 400-pound mother had a heart attack, so I must be at risk as a 200-pound 20-year old.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    "Why don't you try the cayenne pepper and lemon cleanse?"

Yeah, I've heard this one. I remember actually trying it and the cayenne pepper tasted so awful!!! Couldn't do it anyways.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "I don't eat anything, then when I feel like I'm going to pass out, I eat a one inch cube of cheese." - from The Devil Wears Prada

I've heard the one about not drinking and that makes your body sweat out your fat. And a friend told me she lost 50 pounds by just not eating a lot, without exercizing. Literally crammed it down my throat that I was wasting my time exercising. Yeah, I've been watching her - pretty sure she's gained it all back.