Scar Healing???

Options
AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
I need some help...

A few nights ago, when I was taking a pan out of the oven, I didn't realize my husband had gotten up and was right beside me. I turned around to put the pan down and instead, nicked his arm. Long story short, there is now a burn on his arm that is scarring. He is very upset because he is saying that he used to like his arms and legs (I scarred his leg in a roller blade accident a few years ago) but now with all these scars, it is something else he doesnt like about himself. I feel awful that I keep accidentally hurting him and that he feels this way...

...my question is, what are some scar remedies that have worked for some of you on burns? Anything that has reduced the scars or minimized their reddness/appearance?

Replies

• kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had chiggers when I was in college and ended up with scars all over my legs from where the chiggers had burrowed into my skin (i know super gross)... anyway I used mederma (skin care for scars) and i couldn't find a single mark from the chiggers on my legs anymore.

also i was in a bike accident when i was like 13 and scarred basically the whole side of calf... it just kind of faded over time. i guess it depends on the scar...
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    There's something you can get at Walgreen's or someplace similar called Bio Oil that is supposed to help with scarring. I've pierced Vitamin E capsules and rubbed that on scars to help the skin heal up. Had surgery years ago and the skin healed opposite of how it was supposed to so I ended up with a pretty big gash-like scar. Vitamin E helped - but not completely.

Besides, it's kinda fun to tell people I got the scar in a knife fight or something when they see it...LOL

Hope you find a solution!
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had a nasty oven burn on my arm, used neosporin and kept it bandaged until it was FULLY healled, then rubbed Palmers Skin Therapy Oil on it 3 x a day, it is barely visible. This process took only about a month :)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Silver sulfadiazine cream!!! best stuff EVER for burns, but really only when they're brand new. My mom gave me this stuff... I think it's prescription only though... not entirely sure.

Scars overall though... mederma is pretty good though.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    There are several scar reduction cream/ointments on the market. A quick google search will make your head spin. I've used plain Vitamin E oil with fair results. I have LOTS of scars, time fades them pretty well too. Tell your husband "Chicks Dig Scars"
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I used to be a "cutter" and I used Mederma and it cleared up all of my scars. I have some really bad ones too. They are all gone now. It is kind of expensive, but you just a very small amount at a time. A tube lasted me over 6 months.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My daughter was bit in the face by a dog when she was younger. The plastic surgeon had me by Vit E Oil but not the really liquid kind...Look for the highest BTU you can find it will say it on the bottle. It's really reallllly thick but apply it a couple of times a day once in Am and once at night.

You cant even see the scarring on her face where she was bit. Way way cheaper than Mederma. Good Luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's something you can get at Walgreen's or someplace similar called Bio Oil that is supposed to help with scarring. I've pierced Vitamin E capsules and rubbed that on scars to help the skin heal up. Had surgery years ago and the skin healed opposite of how it was supposed to so I ended up with a pretty big gash-like scar. Vitamin E helped - but not completely.

Besides, it's kinda fun to tell people I got the scar in a knife fight or something when they see it...LOL

Hope you find a solution!

I have tried Bio Oil on other scars as well, it does not work as well as the Palmers (for me anyway), it is twice as much, and it can cause allergic reaction in some ppl...
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the suggestions here, but I also wanted to tell you that unless it was a really severe burn, like hospital-worthy, it probably won't leave a permanent scar as long as he keeps it bandaged and doesn't pick at any scabs that form. A couple of years ago I was taking a baking sheet out of the oven and it caught on the edge of the stove as I lifted it, and bounced twice on my forearm. I had two parallel scars, both about an inch wide and 3 or 4 inches long. I didn't put anything on them other than just some Bag Balm once they started getting scabby. They were visible for a long time because I didn't treat them, but now they're completely gone. So if he treats them, they will likely go away fairly quickly. They shouldn't be permanent.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    colloidial(sp) silver for anything or silvadene for burns. Miracle.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I was in a serious car accident 21 years ago & they had to do emergency surgery on me. So I have a scar that runs the length of my stomach. Over the years, this scar has faded to the point of being barely noticable. I also have other scars from this accident that have faded. So, my best suggestion is to just give it time. Time DOES heal all wounds.
  • Scheherazadea
    Options
    A year ago I fell out of a lofted bed and had a pretty nasty scar above my eye. I used Mederma and silicone bandages. In less than 2 weeks, there was absolutely no scar. For burns, the silicone bandages especially work WONDERS! I highly recommend them!

BTW: My friend's neck was on fire once and he suffered from 1st degree burns. He needed a skin graft, but he also used the silicone bandages and there is absolutely no scarring.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If the burn was only a few nights ago it's unlikely to already be scarring, more than likely it's still healing. The suggestions that have been given are all good, but if it's a truly serious burn... ie, it badly blistered... see a doc and keep it clean and uncovered as much as possible.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had a similar burn on my calf. I worked at a Subway in high school. A co-worker was taking bread out of the oven touched my calf with the hot pan. After it healed there was a slightly darker oval on my skin for maybe a year that eventually faded to nothing. I didn't do anything special, just my regular lotion all over after my shower.

I'm trying to think of the gentlest possible way to say this, if I offend you I'll apologize in advance. . .Unless this burn is a lot more serious than I'm picturing, and by that I mean 3rd degree, requiring possible hospitalization and skin grafts or he is a model of some kind and depends on having perfect skin to get jobs, then I think your hubby is seriously over-reacting. It's a burn scar on his arm, not a facial disfigurement. Sure do everything you can to minimize scarring, but the intensity of the distress you're describing seems over the top to me.
  • canis_arcticus
    canis_arcticus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does nobody else worry about the undercurrent of shame and guilt that this message shows?