cucumbers are gone

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
Very dissapointed that ALL cucumbers have been removed from my local grocery store. I have no problem with them removing items that have been shown to be infected, but the ones in the store here are grown in the US. They even took out the organic that are grown local! Guess I will have to find a replacement for my "crunch" fix.

Replies

• uberbusymomma
    uberbusymomma Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :cry:

Cucumbers are so yummy....I feel your pain.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Whats going on with Cukes??? I must have missed something!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    have you tried your local farmers markets the produce is usually a lot better anyways than what you find in the stores and they are grown locally so you can support your local farmers. Not sure where you live but I am in upstate NY and our markets have opened. Also if your looking for crunch I like celery as well as cucumbers and then sometimes I throw in a baby carrot or two.
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are coming into season so you should look to your local farmers market. This is the season for great produce at your local farmers market anyway and the flavor is so much better. Plus, it's a lot cheaper since you're not paying for packaging, all of the paychecks for the store employees or the amount of money it takes to ship all of that produce from the other side of the country or even the world. You really can't lose.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For a serious "crunch", how about carrots?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What are the cucumbers infected with? I mean, I could guess...
  • MzBug
    Options
    I have baby carrots every day. Cucumbers are my "go to" when I don't want the carbs, but need to fill up with not many calories. The farmers markets around here (even though it is in a farming area) are only held on Saturdays.

The current issue with cucumbers are that they are suspected of a massive potentially deadly E coli outbreak in Germany and surrounding countries. They think cucumbers grown in Spain are the source, but it hasn't been proven yet.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *brain explodes from so much humour potential*
  • MzBug
    Options
    *brain explodes from so much humour potential*

:laugh: I knew someone would go there! I have a grown in Jersey for that! :love:
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have baby carrots every day. Cucumbers are my "go to" when I don't want the carbs, but need to fill up with not many calories. The farmers markets around here (even though it is in a farming area) are only held on Saturdays.

The current issue with cucumbers are that they are suspected of a massive potentially deadly E coli outbreak in Germany and surrounding countries. They think cucumbers grown in Spain are the source, but it hasn't been proven yet.

So get a bunch of cucumbers from the market on Saturdays. That's even more reason not to purchase them from the store. They also last longer from the market because they haven't been traveling and getting old forever. Should last you up to two weeks.