MFP Cycling Gang 9/15/08

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Thanks for the information. I know that you have really been working hard, and "Bamboo" and I are really proud of you! Keep up the great work! I don't know if Bamboo will let me buy anything else for my bike!!! I have done tons of research on roadbikes- so if you need any info before you buy let me know.
    Thanks,

There's so many out there that it makes my head spin! And, it seems every shop sells/features a different brand. I've only got maybe 600-700 to spend (max) right now, so it's going to be a lower end one for sure. One shop has some Felts that go for $650. Ever heard of them? One guy told me that at the price I'm looking to spend, it really won't make a difference in what I get because components will be lower end regardless.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Shorerider: Look at the different bikes in your price range and get whichever one has the highest end components.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Don't know much about the Felts but if you are starting to research road bikes a great site to go to is:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

click on reviews and search for Felt.

I noticed the first review was for a Giant OCR3 $600. Can you tellI'm biased!!!

By the way I do agree with jadaigle , budget & components

Good luck :smile:
  • shorerider
    Good point about the components. Part of my problem is getting to the shops to look, too. Only bike shop near me is 65 miles away in one direction and 80 miles in the other!

I've seen the Giants in a bike shop out in Roanoke back in June but I haven't found them in any of the stores around here yet-odd.

Hoping to go Monday--maybe!
  • I respect the advice about components - but don't forget the obvious first- the bike must fit you and your style of riding. Whatever you buy, make sure you have it professionally fitted to you. A really good bike shop will do that for free. Start with a good frame that is fitted for you ( you can always upgrade components when time/money allows). Make sure it is a WSD (women's specific design). Trek makes a great entry level road bike for about 750$ (the trek 1.2 WSD) It is a great transition bike from a hybrid as it has SORA shifters (button on brake hood instead of dual brake levers). This makes it easier to transition to the riding style and not have to worry about shifting as well. The bike can be upgraded with higher end components later - but most people (myself included) buy too nice of a bike thinking the bike will make them a better rider instead of putting in saddle time and training correctly. Don't rush into anything, and try to avoid buying "boxed sets" off of the internet.
    Hope this has been helpful.
    Thanks,
  • shorerider
    Thanks--another good point about upgrading. The Giant I looked at our in Roanoke was a WSD. One bike shop told me when I asked about WSD that "it doesn't matter because we can make any bike fit to you." I'm not so sure about that! It's a little aggravating, too, because unless my DH is with me, the bike shop people have tended to either 1) ignore me unless I ask, or 2) act like I'm some idiot. I don't know if it's because I'm a woman or because I'm still overweight and they think I'm not serious about cycling or something. When I mentioned to one guy at this shop that I bike 90-130 or so miles a week gave me this look like "yeah, right!" :angry:

Anyway, got in 12 miles this morning before my stupid seat messed me up again. I'm going to have to put my hornless back on for now or something.

I wanted cooler weather and it's finally here--54 degrees on my ride this morning!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Went on a short but sweet ride yesterday ~ 5 miles. Its the site of a future greenway, but currently its a set of old railroad tracks, and large rocks. Tough riding, and it got my heart rate WAY up. Totally worth it though, despite falling 6 times (less falling, more bike going out from under me).

As for bikes fitting you, if the bike is the right size and the weight you're looking for, it can be made to fit you. You can get different handlebars, seat posts, saddles, peddles, everything pretty much.
  • shorerider
    double post--see below
  • shorerider
    Got in another 10 miles this evening just before too dark but it was on

MY NEW TREK ROAD BIKE! yupi3ti.gif

We went ahead and drove up to Salisbury today and bought it.

It's a Women's Specific Design 2009 model and they cut $100 off the price for me, so I got it for $700!

It's got carbon forks, carbon seat post, and aluminum frame.

Had them put on a wireless Cateye and saddle bag, too, with 2 water bottle cages, and I'm set!

Guy at this shop was very helpful and friendly. Fitted me right then, showed me all the stuff, etc.

Set off into a steady 10mph head wind for the first part of the ride and still finished with 17mph average for the trip! yupi3ti.gif

Can't wait to get it out with no wind and see what it can really do!

Here's some photos---

PIC00155.jpg

PIC00151.jpg
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Good point about the components. Part of my problem is getting to the shops to look, too. Only bike shop near me is 65 miles away in one direction and 80 miles in the other!

I've seen the Giants in a bike shop out in Roanoke back in June but I haven't found them in any of the stores around here yet-odd.

Hoping to go Monday--maybe!

Gosh, I can't believe the lack of bikeshops my heart bleeds for you. I'm a city boy and stuff like this still surprises me.

I've bought two great mountain bikes used off E-bay and have been very pleased both times. My first one hadn't even ever been completely assembled, and the second didn't have a scratch, it couldn't have been riden more than a couple times. As you know people buy new bikes thinking that they are going to ride and they end up taking up space in the garage. You can get some extremely gently used bikes for less than half the price they are new. Once you've decided what you want it's kind of a fun treasure hunt for people who spend time on line.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member

It's a Women's Specific Design 2009 model and they cut $100 off the price for me, so I got it for $700!

Had them put on a wireless Cateye and saddle bag, too, with 2 water bottle cages, and I'm set!

Guy at this shop was very helpful and friendly. Fitted me right then, showed me all the stuff, etc.

Set off into a steady 10mph head wind for the first part of the ride and still finished with 17mph average for the trip! yupi3ti.gif

Here's some photos---

PIC00155.jpg

PIC00151.jpg

It is very pretty! I think that is the one Newman wants me to get!! I got in 16.5 miles today so my total this week is 81
  • ce_fit
    Trek makes a great bike!!! That looks really nice!

Happy riding!!! :happy:
  • I am speechless....
    Someone actually took my advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is the exact same model I have been eyeing for my wife. I am glad to hear you took the plunge.
    The price sounds like you got a great deal, and i am glad you found a good bike shop. Now, pass the insanity along by letting someone else borrow your hybrid, they will get adicted and you will have a new ridning partner! Great job with the riding!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member

Here's some photos---

PIC00155.jpg

PIC00151.jpg

Sweet ride Shore,

We'll miss you on the boards the next couple of weeks while you break her in.
  • jadaigle
    I'm jealous, Shore. It's pretty. :love:

I'm getting ready for my 77 mile today. Once my son is on the bus, I'm off. It will be my first ride with my new HRM.
  • shorerider
    Took the new Trek out today for what ended up being a 27 mile ride. The wind was brutal! Steady 16mph with gusts to 21! :noway: Man, it was tough! I would never have even thought of riding on a day like today on my Hybrid but was able to still grunt out 15mph average. I'll be glad when this stupid weather front moves away and the wind dies.

Anyway, I love the Trek! :love: :love: Even the seat, which looked so "little" is painless and comfortable. A few times, I was able to get out of the wind and maintain 17mph for a bit without bringing my HR out of about 70% range.

Now I gotta think of a name for it.....
  • jadaigle
    I have returned from my 76.7 mile ride. It was brutal. This was the hardest ride I have ever done. The wind was literally in my face or coming at me from the side every minute of the ride. I felt like crying the entire last 27 miles. My participation in the Seagull century is up the air now: I did not have fun today.

first 20 miles: 1:16:07 Avg HR 150
    20-30 miles: 35:47 AHR 150
    30-40 miles: 38:23 AHR 149
    40-50 miles: 37:48 AHR 150
    50-60 miles: 37:43 AHR 156
    60-70 miles: 40:18 AHR 154
    70-76.7 miles: 26:45 AHR 152
  • shorerider
    I have returned from my 76.7 mile ride. It was brutal. This was the hardest ride I have ever done. The wind was literally in my face or coming at me from the side every minute of the ride. I felt like crying the entire last 27 miles. My participation in the Seagull century is up the air now: I did not have fun today.

Oh, man, I'm so sorry your ride was bad! The wind is horrible over this way today. I was glad to get back home after just my 27 miles--I can't imagine having pedaled 76 miles in this! But you did it! Hang in there---the weather for the Seagull might be better than today. If not, there's always the Ride Between the Waters a couple of weeks later down this way.

Go reward yourself with something really special for dinner now. You had to have burnt up a TON of calories today! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ce_fit

Now the positive spin!!! Way to go!!! Despite the pain & discomfort, look at what you have accomplished. How many people in the world have ridden 77 miles on a bike? I'm sure it is less than 2%. After the pain has gone you can be proud of your accomplishment. Remember "No pain no Gain"

From someone who has yet to ride that far, way to go!!!!
  • shorerider
    Just got back home from my first training with my new group, the Holy Rollers, and I had a blast!

We did 45 miles--took 3 hours. Average speed of 15. Top speed 25.

There were some hills, which killed me, as I've been riding around my house, which is flat, flat, flat. And the wind kicked up most of the day, too.

We even got in some pelaton riding training for me, which was an absolute blast! That's when you ride with one guy leading, breaking the wind for the rest and creating a draft. Everyone else falls in single file. Each person takes turns, about 1 minute, as the lead rider, then drops back to the rear. We did that for about 5 miles and hit an average speed during that time of 19-20mph. I loved it!

Not even sure how many miles I got in this week now though but can't wait to be able to go on another group ride! thumbsup4kk.gif

Bamboo--going stick in here for bit longer, just fyi.