Lumbar HypOlordosis: stuff I can do on my own to fix?

Options
So yeah, got a great deal on a chiro evaluation only to freak at the proposed cost after his, err... sales pitch. TriCare won't cover any of it and chiro through the VA would take too long. I did get to see the x-ray and it was kinda scary, but shows why I can't get by booty to pop out like I want. It doesn't cause me pain, except my left SI joint keeps flaring up. Long story short: I'm looking for any physical therapy type stuff or stretches I can do at home to correct it on my own at home or with equipment that can be found at the gym. I found this awesome link showing how a weightlifter corrected the >opposite< problem (lumbar hypERlordosis) with just three weeks of stretching... the before and after pics are pretty amazing, you gotta admit: http://stronglifts.com/lordosis-why-it-causes-lower-back-pain-how-to-fix-it/

So anyone out there with a similar experience correcting lumbar hypolordosis (no natural curve inward at lower back)?

Replies

• scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I do know of stretching, but I'm really awful at describing movements. :laugh: Mainly, the issue is usually the iliopsoas muscles that need the most stretching, and you want to work on core strengthening (planks, etc.)

Some decent stretching/exercises here:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/lowback/lordosis/execises.php
  • onesillygirl
    Options
    You might be able to find some exercises or stretches if you google for them or try webmd.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far! I did find a set of McKenzi exercises/stretches that look helpful; things like camel pose from yoga, modified back bends, etc.

I'm always open to more ideas though :)
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    TriCare will cover Physical Therapy which is probably a better solution than chiropractic anyway. If your SI joint is giving you problems that should be good enough for them to let you get started with PT. You very likley have a pelvic alignment issue as well and most chiropractors don't know much about that, but I really can't give you any advice without evaluating you. Sorry!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    TriCare will cover Physical Therapy which is probably a better solution than chiropractic anyway. If your SI joint is giving you problems that should be good enough for them to let you get started with PT. You very likley have a pelvic alignment issue as well and most chiropractors don't know much about that, but I really can't give you any advice without evaluating you. Sorry!

Thank you :D I've gone that route before with the initial injury and it did only take about 3wks to get me from limping in in tears to pain free and functional. It just still flares periodically and I never know if it's going to only last until tomorrow or 5 weeks from now. I'm kinda shocked though because I'm WAY more active now compared to back then. Maybe it's time to give up the tightlacing though; that CAN'T be helping my pelvic support system. Of course the chiro wants me to think it's due to the LHL or whatever, but I can say that the hip adjustment he did (MAJOR "pop" there) had my hip feeling more "intact" at the SI than it has in years. I think I remember the PT doing it to a certain extent, but it wasn't nearly as intense. Yeah, I'm definitely going to ask my PCM to refer me again, thanks! (oh, to have one of those electrode things that pushes in the anti-inflammatory gel again! Bliss!!! For a few hours anyway)
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ice massage works really well too. Make sure you get a therapist that knows Muscle Energy Techniques for the pelvis.