Coconut Oil to cook with ???

Options
Recently my doctor suggested to me to cook with coconut oil. She said that EVOO is not really meant to be heated and difficult for the body to break down (it's meant for dressing, but original Olive Oil is the one that should be heated, but still doesn't break down as easily as Coconut Oil). She also said that coconut oil is good for the liver. Has anyone ever had heard this before?

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil to cook with instead of vegetable, canola, corn, etc.... It's natural & better for you whereas the other cooking oils are chemically processed to get the oils out. You can't squeeze corn to get oil out of it, & what the heck is a canola? :wink:
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes - it is GREAT!
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find carrie underwood's leg workouts and this is what I found when I was searching for the workouts. http://www.bodyincredible.com/here-is-a-wonder-food-which-will-burn-body-fat-boost-energy-and-strengthen-your-immune-system/

If you scrolled down, it tells 10 reasons why coconut oil is so good for you! Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but good article.
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was just surprised to learn about this coconut oil. I have never heard of it before and was just curious if anyone else has. I don't do much frying, but she asked me what kind of oil I use for my vegetables and such when I'm not steaming them. I have already purchased some and tomorrow will be the first time I use it. Does it change the taste of your food that's cooked in it?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil to cook with instead of vegetable, canola, corn, etc.... It's natural & better for you whereas the other cooking oils are chemically processed to get the oils out. You can't squeeze corn to get oil out of it, & what the heck is a canola? :wink:

A canola is a seed that you can squeeze and get oil out of it. In fact if you tape some canola seeds to a piece of paper towel so they don't move, then run a hard roller over it using just the pressure you can exert with you own strength you can see the oil come out. It is just a natural as cocount oil depending on how it is processed. Of course how coconut oil is processed has a lot to do with how good it is as well.
  • Scheherazadea
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that coconut is a highly, highly saturated fat (just like lard). It has the potential of raising cholesterol levels so the fact your doctor is promoting its consumption is suspicious and worrisome. There is no concrete scientific evidence suggesting that coconut oil is healthier or promotes weight loss. Most health advisory boards and organizations such as the WHO, FDA, and the AHA strongly recommend against using coconut oil.

Regardless, here are some recommendations on good cooking oils based on the temperatures you will be cooking at. All of these oils are minimally processed:

High temperature: Peanut oil
    Medium/low temperature: Olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil

I do love to use coconut oil on my hair though. It works wonders!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it to cook with but I heard it's good. I use mine on my skin.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use it. I buy organic virgin coconut oil. A little goes a long way.
  • milaxx
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that coconut is a highly, highly saturated fat (just like lard). It has the potential of raising cholesterol levels so the fact your doctor is promoting its consumption is suspicious and worrisome. There is no concrete scientific evidence suggesting that coconut oil is healthier or promotes weight loss. Most health advisory boards and organizations such as the WHO, FDA, and the AHA strongly recommend against using coconut oil.

Regardless, here are some recommendations on good cooking oils based on the temperatures you will be cooking at. All of these oils are minimally processed:

High temperature: Peanut oil
    Medium/low temperature: Olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil

I do love to use coconut oil on my hair though. It works wonders!
    Actually in recent years that theory has changed largely in part because while is is high in saturated fats it is also high in lauric acid and unlike lard, it's not an animal fat.
    One reason: More than 50 percent of its saturated-fat content is lauric acid. A recent analysis of 60 studies published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports that even though lauric acid raises LDL (bad) cholesterol, it boosts HDL (good) cholesterol even more. Overall, this means it decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/saturated_fat/Coconuts.php#ixzz1O5U3DibK
  • milaxx
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was just surprised to learn about this coconut oil. I have never heard of it before and was just curious if anyone else has. I don't do much frying, but she asked me what kind of oil I use for my vegetables and such when I'm not steaming them. I have already purchased some and tomorrow will be the first time I use it. Does it change the taste of your food that's cooked in it?
    If you are only using a tiny amount for frying or sauteing, it doesn't really change the taste.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is actually healthy for you. Back in the 8o'-90's main stream nutrition said it was bad for you, comparing it to lard. However, recently it has been shown that they were wrong. It is from a plant....thus your body uses it differently. It has a high temperature threshold, so you can fry with it. It is good to use for a sub for butter in recipes. Another good oil is grape seed oil. I have found it does not impart a taste. It is liquid at room temp unlike coconut. It is also a high temp oil.
    Lol, if you remember, when they said coconut oil was bad they also said eggs were bad. They also said that all fats would kill you. In fact, they were actually pushing margarine at that time. It is funny because even back then I was reading that bio chemists would not touch margarine, as they knew it was bad. My hub had an amusing conversation with a nutritionist at that time. She was extolling the benefits of margarine when he piped up and said 'but your body can process butter while it can't margarine'. After a talk she admitted he was right and that a tid bit of butter was better for you than margarine. Her caveat was that there was no way Americans would ever just use a little. Hmmmm....so eating plastic is better for you....hmmm. Interesting.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Coconut, nuts, avocados olives, olive oil~ all are considered "good" fats. In small amounts, with every meal, supposedly they actually help you to reduce belly fat. They are what are called monounsaturated fats (MUFAs). Eat up, but know that they are high in calories.
  • Staceygurl428
    Options
    I take it as a supplement every other day. (A tbsp or so. Then I chug a whole glass of water to get rid of the taste.) I have heard that it is very good for you, but I hesitate to use it myself because I honestly do not like the taste of coconut and don't want it in my food. (I used to use it on my skin too, but it made it kind of oily so...stopped doing that.)
    It is also really good as a hair mask every once in a while :smile:
    (Extra virgin from the organic store in town.)
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    rice bran oil....
  • andreaanguiano93
    Options
    Hear it all the time. Read it everywhere too. I've been wanting to try it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I adore coconut oil! I buy it buy the gallon and our whole family loves the stuff! I even like it on toast. With coconut oil there are different grades just like there is with Olive Oil. The Organic, unrefined stuff will have a coconut smell and flavor to it. The more refined it is the less coconut smell and flavor it will have. You can buy it so it doesn't taste like coconut at all if that's what you prefer but be careful of what process they use and try to avoid the oils that have had solvents used in them. Nutiva, Wilderness Family, Spectrum and Tropical Traditions are all good but there are other good brands out there as well. Do a quick internet search and you'll see oodles of information.
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I really enjoyed reading everyone's comment. :smile:
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    We use avacado oil for all cooking (very high burn point) good for you oil.
    I use almond oil for salad dressing- (make my own dressing)