Giving Up The Chips

Options
I am addicted to chips like tortilla chips, potato chips, cheese puffs, etc. Although I do not use a lot of salt in my foods, these snacks are high in sodium. They are also full of empty calories. I have decided that at least for the month of June, I am giving them up. During this time, I plan to add more helpings of healthy snacks such as celery and carrots. The plan is to move to a lifestyle with less unhealthy snacks and foods. I am attacking one food at a time.

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Good goal!!! I think you can do it! I've replaced chips with pretzel thins, and I only allow myself to have two servings of them, and I try to eat them with avocado so I get some good fats in my diet!
  • ms_debbieg
    ms_debbieg Posts: 34
    Options
    Good For You!! I found that some of the rice cakes are great substitutes for chips!!

I gave up Dr. Peppers, whoa it was hard & I really miss them!! I know eveyone tells me to drink diet but they are just not the same. I
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Totally get where you're coming from. I love popchips! They give you that crunch & flavor without all of the calories. Not positive on the sodium though. May want to try those for a healthier alternative.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing to give up. I myself have discovered Special K cracker chips (30 chips are 110 calories) and looks like a plate full. These are a staple in my pantry and my go-to food when I'm craving something crunchy and/or salty. They come in Sea Salt or Sour Cream flavor.
  • staceyrrad
    staceyrrad Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Chips are my weakness too!
    Forget chocolate, forget sugar.. give me chips!

I think in honor of your post, I am going to join you and say no to chips for the month of June!! Wish me luck!

And good luck you too! =)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a huge chip addict and knew I had to give them up. The Special K cracker chips have been my life saver!!! I love them and have them for snacks all the time. I can barely eat a whole serving as a snack, so sometimes I will split them and have another snack later in the day.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I gave up chips by replacing them with a healthier food. I have been doing well with apples and peanut butter when I want some chips. It's worked for me, maybe you should try that to make it easier.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I right there with ya! I am not a big sweet eater but love crunchy & salty, which makes me gain water & swell. So enough of that! Anyhoo, I have found that the mini rice cakes do the trick when I am craving crunchy, salty, & even cheesy....every store has them & there are name brands & generic brands. They are usually not too high in calorie or sodium. I buy the fit & active brand at Aldi's.
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    I have a potato chip love affair too .... And yeah, get those special K cracker chips. You can eat a lot of them for hardly nothing. Or do wheat Rtiz Cracker thing, 5 crackers is only 70 calories and paired with one of those laughing cow cheese wedges (35 calories) it's a nice filling snack that cures the carb craving and for less calories, fat and sodium than a handful of Ruffles. (Or my weakness Cheetos Puffs or flaming hot crunchies)
  • Nolalee
    Nolalee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Sometimes I use carrot chips (carrots cut diaganol into slices) in place of chips. They are great dipped in fresh salsa!!! Good luck :)
  • midwesthiker
    midwesthiker Posts: 144
    Options
    When I am really craving chips I make myself drive all the way to the gas station and buy a small bag. That really deters me from having them, that is too much work! The cracker chips are an ok replacement, but nothing replaces that yummy chip. :(
  • ashleynicole8912
    Options
    That's a good thing to give up. I myself have discovered Special K cracker chips (30 chips are 110 calories) and looks like a plate full. These are a staple in my pantry and my go-to food when I'm craving something crunchy and/or salty. They come in Sea Salt or Sour Cream flavor.

I love those things!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Way to give it up girls! Oops, you know what I mean! lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great idea.
    I find that once you get out of the habit of eating this kind of food, it isn't so hard to keep going. If you really want to give them up, it is probably better not to substitute them with another kind of chip - better to change habit to veggies or nuts or something else.

My husband doesn't eat sweet stuff so we never have dessert at home and I find that I am completely out of the habit of dessert and don't miss it. I still have it now and again when I go out but am not bothered by not having any at home.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I switched to Garden Vegetable Crisps by Sensible Portions. They are YUMMY and healthy. AND You get 18 chips for only 110 calories. I get mine at Costco...
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have started eating baby carrots instead of chips. Funny thing is, I don't miss the chips at all!
  • jen_42
    jen_42 Posts: 26
    Options
    if i want chips i will tend to have a 25g pack ..i get to have my chips but only a smaller amount..a win win .. :tongue:
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this, too!

I posted a thread on May 21 that from then to June 21 I won't be eating chips!

So far so good.

WE CAN DO IT!
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    Great job everyone! Tortilla chips are my weakness. I've switched to air popped popcorn with salt pepper and braggs nutritional yeast. If I open a bag I already know it's gone. The big bag of Santitas chips? Yep. One sitting. 1300 calories. So sick afterwards and I even thought I got my first cold sore from the salt cracking the corners of my lips. Haha. Yeaaaaaaa :) I'm with you guys! Anyone know a gluten free option? I think the special k ones have gluten...
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    Chips are my weakness, too! I've given them up, just because I have an incredibly hard time sticking to suggested serving sizes. I've replaced them with better options for snacks - grape tomatoes, green peppers, unsweetened applesauce. Also, I've found that goldfish are a great way to fulfill that salty craving. You get 55 of them in a serving (so it feels like a fulfilling snack!) and while there is still a good amount of sodium, I find it to be a more manageable option with my current diet.