I use DVDs for exercise at home....

Options
How often should I mix up my routine? I know that your body can get used to the exercises and plateau. How long does it take for that to happen (generally speaking --- as I realize it might be different for everyone)?

Right now, I am exercising 5 days a week (4 days cardio -- usually Turbo Jam and 1 day yoga). My first goal is to lose the fat so I have been sticking to the cardio. Plus I have a risk of lymphedema and am not quite ready to start strength training (I have to follow special rules and need to be 100% comitted to it).

I also own --- 30 day shred, Tracy Anderson cardio dance, Tracy Anderson post-pregnancy, Hip hop abs, Leslie Sansone walking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    It took me about 2 months to get used to my workout routine, I changed it up when I checked my HRM and realized my exercises weren't getting my heart rate up anymore. You should be fine if you change up your routine every month or so.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have to do something different just so I don't get bored. I do turbojam, 30 day shred, running, and yoga. I vary it by what I feel like doing.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm curious on this topic too!
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    I'd recommend switching it up as YOU get bored. I find myself changing up my workout schedule EVERY WEEK! I'll find a few workouts I love to do that stick around, but in general, I'll do whatever workout I feel like doing that day.

Examples include:

Sun - REST
    Mon - 30 Day Shred - Level 2 & 3
    Tues - P90X Kenpo X
    Wed - Ripped in 30 - Level 3 & 4
    Thurs - 6 Week Six Pack - Both workouts
    Fri - Shred It W/ Weights - Both workouts or Yoga Meltdown, depending how I feel
    Sat - REST

Hope that helps! Any kind of fun active hobby is excellent for switching it up and making sure you get your workout in that day! :)

Good luck.
  • rperez301
    rperez301 Posts: 10
    Options
    HI there! I am a exercise at home person too but when I started to platau I joined the gym and it worked. I didn't only platau but I was bord! So now I go back and fourth II change up alot of my videos at home too ! I have about a dozen Leslie Sansone another good one is step Aerobics, Gin Miller "Everyone Steps" is really good for begginners.
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    My fiancee and I change up ours whenever we start to either get bored with our usual routine, or if we stop feeling the challenge. We have a bunch of DVDs we cycle through and will probably be getting more, and one of these days we'll commit to the 30 Day Shred for a whole month.

Having a partner helps a lot though, without him saying, "hey, ready to work out?" there are days where I'd just skip it when I'm bored, instead of switching it up.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've done all my workouts at home since I can't afford a gym and have lost 35 pounds since last August. There's been a month here and there where I had to stop due to surgery and stuff. At first it came off easy but the closer I get to my goal I find I have to shock my body. I started with step aerobics, then did a lot of walking. I did the Ripped in 30 program in April. For may I walked 130 miles (mostly indoors with the Leslie Sansone tapes) and I do the Biggest Loser bootcamp and other strength training DVD's. Its all about trial and error and sometimes you can eat right, work out 5 or 6 hours a week and still not lose. As long as you find yourself feeling better, clothes fitting better, then you'll do just fine. I've gotten to where I can do a half marathon at home and most days now I walk 7 miles and do a 20 to 30 minute strength training. Just gotta mix it up when you feel you need a change.
  • russayde
    Options
    i made a routine for my dvd's exercise...DVD for Exercise