Bodyfit Media confusing me on what my intake should be

Options
I ordered a Bodyfit media band a few weeks ago to get a good idea of what I am burning on a daily basis since I have been stuck for a while now and really want to lose a bit more. Basically I have increased from 1200 to my current 1450 over the past few months with no changes. Granted there are days that I am under for my net but there are also days that I am over due to social events etc...

SO my point is that today, in 24 hours my bodyfit says I burned 2432. That does include a pretty decent workout today (My chest strap HRM showed a 672 burn). On average I would say my burns are about 400-600 for my workouts. So workout days are an average of around 2000-2500. I haven't been wearing the bodyfit on the weekends because it looks funny on my arm with regular clothes but on a regular weekday, with no working out (just regular daily activity), it shows between 1700-1900. On days that I don't wear the band at all it is usually at around 1400 (i think some how it uses a baseline to calculate that at like 1 calorie per minute over 24 hours).

Given all of those numbers (LOL sorry) What do you think I should do about my calorie intake? I am at about 16% body fat based on the omron digital body fat device and the guy at the gym measured close to that with callipers.

I am trying to get leaner and get rid of this last bit of fat but it is stubborn!! I am doing cardio and weigths??? ANy suggestions? ALso my food diary is open if you want to look over that as well. there are a few yucky days in there so be aware of some social events! LOL

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are super lean already and you look amazing. If you really insist on losing more weight, eat around 250 less than your bodymedia say you burned. That should give you about a half pound of loss per week. If I were you, I would probably declare victory now and just maintain weight and muscle definition.
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    Thansk so much Taso and you know I completely value your opinion. BUT the scale is slowly creeping up a bit and I definitely feel there is more fat to go. I hae some jiggle in places I am not happy with! :angry: I am just at a loss on what I need to do to get my belly hard and lean and a few other trouble spots. AND the scale going up scares the fire out of me!!!:sick:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

It may help you select target cals a bit easier.

I personally have a spreadsheet and I record weight, BF%, gross cals, exercise cals, net cals averaged for the week. By doing this I can pretty easily determine my actual maintenance level based on activity. Then just adjust target to achieve goals. And then stick to it! :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Well, I've talked to you about the cals before. I'd agree with Taso (of course) as far as cal level - and that you're pretty much fabulous where you are now.

But I'd also take a close look at your overall goal. I understand you feel there is more fat to go.....but at 16%, what exactly are you looking for? From what I recall and a general guess, even losing 5 lbs of fat at this point would take you to a BF% that is pretty hard to maintain. What is your ultimate goal, and why? I think you should sit down and really try to figure out what it is you're going for, and why that is your goal - or you risk getting too caught up in the numbers.

This is just my .02, but I think you need to make a decision. Either forget the scale, and focus on BF and visuals; or forget the BF% and focus on the scale. The two are not really compatible. You're either going to gain muscle (and probably thus gain weight) or you're going to decrease BF%. Not likely to do both at the same time at this point.

If it was me, I'd throw the scale out, eat at maintenance or maybe 100-200 under, reduce the cardio a tiny bit, increase the weights and strength training, and only look at BF% and jiggly places. :flowerforyou:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Chris, that sheet sounds a lot better than my pen and paper :laugh: care to share? :smile:
  • tellybelle
    Options
    Thanks chris! I did read through it and I love all of his posts!! He is so informative and knowledgable. When I first joined MFP I think I went back and read whatever I could of his. But let me run this by you...makes me even more confused. When I use his formula I get my maintenance to be at about 1554 (111 x 14) then subtract 25% from that and that puts me at 1175??? I know that is too low so then what?? So sorry I am just over trying to figure this out :sad: :sad:

I love your spreadsheet idea too! That is great to track!
  • tellybelle
    Options
    Ladyhawk- you are so sweet and I appreciate you always being so helpful! I know your are probably right! I know that it would be hard to maintain much lower body fat over time and in "real life" but I still see the fat that I want off! :tongue: My ultimate goal is to be able to sit in my bikini and not worry about my belly having that little layer of fat that is still soft and present and squishy. It just drives me crazy. I want smooth, hard, lean definition. Most everywhere else I am comfortable with, although I think I can definitely tone up other areas too. But my goal is to feel comfortable. I know the numbers are something that I need to let go of. I am leaning more toward the BF% vs the scale but it is still hard for me to give up the scale completely. And when you mention eat 100-200 below maintenance, I have no idea what to base maintenance at now. Would you all say that would be around 1800 according to the bodymedia?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    sweebum: It's on google documents so send me your email if you want and I can attach it :)

tellybelle: I would say that is because you are already very lean and as Steve says, the less fat you have to lose the smaller the deficit you should have (to avoid losing muscle mass) so the 25% reduction may not apply in your case.

I also agree with Taso and ladyhawk in that you already look great and have very minimal body fat so it may just be time for maintenance rather than weight loss. Also, 16% BF is very low for a female and as was said much lower than this is not likely to be sustainable ie. it's getting into bodybuilder territory.
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    If it's your body fat that you are trying to reduce, maybe a couple of personal trainer sessions wouls help? They could help you tailor your workout to optimise the fat burning and give you some tips on nutrition
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Ladyhawk- you are so sweet and I appreciate you always being so helpful! I know your are probably right! I know that it would be hard to maintain much lower body fat over time and in "real life" but I still see the fat that I want off! :tongue: My ultimate goal is to be able to sit in my bikini and not worry about my belly having that little layer of fat that is still soft and present and squishy. It just drives me crazy. I want smooth, hard, lean definition. Most everywhere else I am comfortable with, although I think I can definitely tone up other areas too. But my goal is to feel comfortable. I know the numbers are something that I need to let go of. I am leaning more toward the BF% vs the scale but it is still hard for me to give up the scale completely. And when you mention eat 100-200 below maintenance, I have no idea what to base maintenance at now. Would you all say that would be around 1800 according to the bodymedia?

Yeah (not including exercise, of course). I'd start at about 1800 (gradually increase to that over a couple of weeks) and see how it does for at least a month.
  • tellybelle
    Options

Yeah (not including exercise, of course). I'd start at about 1800 (gradually increase to that over a couple of weeks) and see how it does for at least a month.

Ok I will gradually increase then. Gosh that seems like so much! So 1800 plus my exercise calories is the goal to move toward for the next month YIKES:noway:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Ok I will gradually increase then. Gosh that seems like so much! So 1800 plus my exercise calories is the goal to move toward for the next month YIKES:noway:

Lots of protein, lots of healthy fats. :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Remember that long term dieting can slow the metabolism a bit so just gradual increases are the go. Test, evaluate and then determine targets :)

That is what I like about my spreadsheet haha
  • tellybelle
    Options
    Thanks so much! Have a great day!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

How I do it with the BodyMediaFit:

I set my calories at 1600 because that's what I burn on a lazy day doing a bunch of nothing around the house. That way I know I am never eating OVER maintenance and gaining.
    Then on days when I am more active, even just at work, I created a custom exercise called "BodyMedia Moderate Activity" and one for "Vigorous Activity" since that's what they call them.
    The basic 1600 day assumes about 2 hours of moderate and no vigorous. (I register moderate just walking briskly down the hall to the bathroom, and doing dishes!) so a lazy day is up to 2 hours of moderate activity. If I have more, like a typical work day I register 5 hours of moderate, then I will add the other 3 hours in, at 180 per hour over the 1600, since moderate, for me, is approx 3 cal per minute. SO on a day that I have 5 hours of moderate activity, my cal goal is 2140 approx.
    Keep in mind that is maintenance. Sometimes it creeps up a tad and I go over 110, which I don't like, so I still add my goals up the same way, but aim to leave a couple of hundred on the table each day until I get back below 110.

But I have also realized that it is more about nutrition and hydration at this point rather than calories. 1600 of high sodium crap makes me register a gain, while 2200 of good quality fruits veggies and lean protein, and a ton of water, WON'T register a gain, even though its way more calories.

Another thing I figured out is that I can look better at 110 than I do at 104 depending on body comp. When I was 104 I was skinny fat, I went up to 110 by putting on a bit of muscle. Still wear the same pants at both weights....
  • CMoney412
    CMoney412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, I've talked to you about the cals before. I'd agree with Taso (of course) as far as cal level - and that you're pretty much fabulous where you are now.

But I'd also take a close look at your overall goal. I understand you feel there is more fat to go.....but at 16%, what exactly are you looking for? From what I recall and a general guess, even losing 5 lbs of fat at this point would take you to a BF% that is pretty hard to maintain. What is your ultimate goal, and why? I think you should sit down and really try to figure out what it is you're going for, and why that is your goal - or you risk getting too caught up in the numbers.

This is just my .02, but I think you need to make a decision. Either forget the scale, and focus on BF and visuals; or forget the BF% and focus on the scale. The two are not really compatible. You're either going to gain muscle (and probably thus gain weight) or you're going to decrease BF%. Not likely to do both at the same time at this point.

If it was me, I'd throw the scale out, eat at maintenance or maybe 100-200 under, reduce the cardio a tiny bit, increase the weights and strength training, and only look at BF% and jiggly places. :flowerforyou:

****bump**** and a high five!!!! rock it!
  • CMoney412
    CMoney412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend, 16% bodyfat for a woman is terrific. I really agree with the responses here -- and believe me, I am NOT trying to just tell you something so that you are "fat like me"!!!! I know that's the way our minds think ... like, "Well, she is just saying that because ______." That is disordered thinking.

There is a point where it is ENOUGH, even though our minds, so stuck on fat loss, want to tell us otherwise. But there are wise, loving people on here ... listen to the collective wisdom!

Say to yourself, "I love and accept myself EXACTLY as I am in this moment."