130 pounds...eat back the exercise calories?

Options
Hey All,

I'm so sorry about another post like this, but I looked through the 'search' posts and I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to ask. So I am 130 pounds and 5'4". I would like to get to around 118-120. I know that this will involve being quiet fit, and that is the goal. I do about 250 minutes a week of cardio then throw in a little bit of strength training as well. I usually try to aim for going to the gym 4 times a week so I burn 500 calories.

So my question is...should I eat back the exercise calories? I used to be eating a net of 1200 but I bumped it up to 1300 because that seemed a bit healthier. I dont really want to be eating 1800 calories on the days I work out. I feel pretty comfortable eating between 1300-1500 calories on the days I work out.

Does that sound alright...I still want to lose as much weight as possible? I realize because i'm not really 'over weight' i have less wiggle room in the size of the deficit. Does anyone around my weight have some insight?

Replies

• ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Check out http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ It's the easiest way I know to get to some of the key posts about this topic! :smile:
  • jessgallison
    Options
    Okay, well I understand what that is saying. Its just that eating 1800 calories seems kind of ridiculous. Ive never eaten that much. My question was more if I needed to eat them ALL back, or if the 100 or 200 ive been eating is enough.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi there... bumping to see what information and feedback you get. I'm about the same height and weight as you are, with similar calorie burns and I'm not sure if I have my sights set quite as low as 118, I'd be pretty happy to get to 125.

I can predict that a lot of people will tell you to EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES :laugh: and after some bouncing around, this is what I'm coming back to. But hey, I like to eat. :wink:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you want to lose weight, and MFP is telling you to eat more than 1) you are comfortable with and 2) you eat when not trying to lose weight, you need to not do what it says or you will not lose weight. If you are taking in 1300 a day and exercising 4 days a week that sounds pretty reasonable. You are right that smaller bodies need less to run off, so your basic needs are much lower. Perhaps you can eat 1200 on non-exercise days and 1400 on exercise days. Your metabolism will be fired up more on exercise days so your body will still be getting less fuel on those days but you lessen the risk of tiredness.

Personally I eat 1200-1300 and do not eat back exercise calories. I work out 6 days a week for 40-90 mins a time and I never experience fatigue. My body seems very happy with that balance, now that I have settled into it. I am losing weight and inches slowly but surely. I am 5'1 and 127, aiming for 115.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying but MFP already gives you a deficit of at least 500 calories though so you should eat them back. If I'm under calories I'll generally just eat until I'm full though, I'm not going to stuff myself if I don't want to. It's more important to listen to your body rather than a website...

If you're under a lot try adding a protein shake!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'll generally just eat until I'm full though, I'm not going to stuff myself if I don't want to. It's more important to listen to your body rather than a website...
    This is basically the sensible way to do it - use MFP to determine maximum levels of intake and try not to go above what it says, but as for going below, so long as it's not ridiculous just eat what your body wants. It knows what it needs (after a bit of training at least).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am around the same size as you, and so far the following is working for me:

stick to the 1200 on the days i dont exercise.
    eating back around a quarter to half the cals on the days i do exercise (burning roughly 250/300 cals and eating back 50-150)
    once or twice a week going about 600(ish!) cals over (usually friday and saturday!) though i try to work out on these days too, so that i am not loads over my total calorie limit.

and i have lost 1-2 pounds each week doing this.

Hope that helps!