Weights

Options
Hi There

I have just started with myfitnesspal and just wondering why when I enter my strength sessions I get no calories burned? Does this mean I would have to do cardio aswell weights on my strength days? Or should I just do cardio and no strength - I love weights keeps me nice ans toned!

Argh Slightly confused

Thanks
Nooda

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You just need to enter your strength training under the cardio section for it to show..... the strength bit at the bottom is more to record your weights / reps.....

Hope it makes sense
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned get a HRM which can calculate calories burnt for strength training (not all of them can)
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    you will need to use some sort of hrm to get an idea of calorie burn during your strength workouts, and then enter them manually. Good luck, this is a great site.
  • Nooda007
    Nooda007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys - I have a Polar HRM that reads HR and Cals burned going to get my battery fixed and use that!

:happy:
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I used my polar hrm last night burnt more cals doing 30 mins strength training than I did 30mins of cardio!