Elliptical vs. Treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• juyish
    juyish Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Treadmill is great but hard on your feet and knees. You lose more calories on the elliptical in one hour than running.
    Personally it's easier to work out on the elliptical especially when you are not feeling in the mood to workout. It's almost as you are force to move your legs versus the treadmill which you can slow down and not get the same results. One more point I use the treadmill when I am having a moment of wanting to exert energy like when I am upset to get it all out and it helps to run hard in that case. :ohwell: :smile:
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input! This is all so helpful!

Good luck losing to everyone!!
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I got an elliptical for free from my boss. I am in love with it. Before that I was doing a lot of running and I was starting to hurt my knee and foot :mad: but the elliptical is much lower impact and I burn 1000+calories in an hour on it. It's a great cardio workout!
  • skinz2k2
    skinz2k2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your personal goals. No one exercise is "better" than another because we all vary in body type, exercise needs, abilities, and goals. I appreciate all the wisdom shared. My two cents is to sit down and looks at your personal fitness goals and choose which one best suits you.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I personally feel as if the elliptical gives me a better workout than the treadmill because it works out my arms as well.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your personal goals. No one exercise is "better" than another because we all vary in body type, exercise needs, abilities, and goals. I appreciate all the wisdom shared. My two cents is to sit down and looks at your personal fitness goals and choose which one best suits you.

Agreed. :-)
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the elliptical, it's easier on my knees and it doesn't make me feel like I want to die after five minutes. But I must say, I love the floaty feeling I get when I get off the treadmill after an hour while my body is adjusting to walking on solid ground that isn't moving beneath me again. It makes me feel so light!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If your looking for better calorie burn for me personally the treadmill has the ellipitical beat. I also found that using the elliptical I would get lots of ankle pain (i heard it has something to do with the stride presets in the machine) If you need low impact re: joint pain then go with the elliptical. I personally don't like the elliptical at all--- (I call it the elliptical of doom lol) but I will do it sometimes just to mix thing up. I know that there are a lot of complaints from people of joint pain with the treadmill but it probably has a lot to do with technique. Lots of people try to over train and run at full speed and they never run. you start walking (i used to barely walk a mile at 3.0 when I started) and as it feels slow you can increase. I like seeing the effects on my fitness and endurance from the treadmill. I can take it out into my real life. I can run faster when I'm chasing my daughter in the park. I have no idea when I'm going to practically use a rowing motion..I know i'm partial because I'm a runner...Just do what works for you. As long as you're moving and burning calories it's really all good :bigsmile:
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Only if your doing it wrong! I can drench the machine in a 5 min session on there. I do the treadmill before though.
  • cblanc88
    cblanc88 Posts: 1
    Options
    i think the treadmill is more effective, you're getting more of a workout on it, but for me it's too hard to stay on for longer than 10 minutes. I'm not a very good runner so i love the ellptical because i can be on it for like 45 minutes and burn a bunch of calories without it being as hard as the treadmill.