Scale trouble

atashap
atashap Posts: 85
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok I have had the same old scale for the last 8 years and I think I still trust it but not really sure because my kids play on it so much. When I first bought it the directions told me how to calibrate it which is why I have held on to it for so long. I really would like a digital scale but everyone that I buy seems to go back and forth like a yo-yo I mean I step on there once and it says 116.4 and then again in 60 seconds and it says 118.9 (this are future weights not current:laugh: ) so what do I take the best out of 3? Does anybody have any suggestions for the most accurate digital scale to buy or should I just stick to my Ole faithful 8 year old scale?:ohwell:

Replies

• jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    How did you get my scale to your house without me knowing!? :laugh:

I usually step on my continuously until I get the same reading 2 or 3 times in a row. But, I usually like the 1st number the best too. Stupid electronics.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    If your old scale has been consistent with your weight, I would stick with it for now. You really are just trying to measure progress, not the actual number. If you see the weight decreasing, then you are doing well. If it's increasing then treak your program some, but the number itself is inconsequential at this point. (At least, that's what I keep trying to tell myself! lol)
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Tanita makes great digital scales... shop amazon
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I had the same issue with mine the other day, it was so very unmotivating to see I gained after I had worked out. Yes I am one of those constant weighers lol. I agree with the others take the one that is constant
  • MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    I would stick with the good and faithful! Who cares if it's a dinosaur. They just don't make things like they used to. :grumble:
  • mkrapf82
    mkrapf82 Posts: 6 Member
    I hate when scales go back and forth like that! My old scale did that, too. I bought a Conair Weight Watchers scale (the model number is WW78), and I love it. It also measures body fat and bone mass, but I'm not sure whether those numbers are accurate. But mine never jumps around, and it wasn't super expensive, either. I think I paid around $30 for it at Bed Bath & Beyond. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I have this scale and have found it to be VERY accurate. No calibration needed, either-just step on it: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303128064&sr=8-1

Keep this one away from the kids--let them have the old scale. :laugh:
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    I know exactly what you're talking about! I also have a digital scale that does the same thing. This is what I do..... First, make sure the scale is on a hard, level surface. Having the scale on even a very thin rug or carpet can affect the consistency of your results. I tap my scale one time with my toes until I see a flashing 'dashed' image. I get on the scale one time and usually get a slightly higher number. I get on the scale two more times and usually these two numbers are the same and slightly lower than the number that was displayed the first time I got on the scale. This is the number I use :) Sounds funny I know, but it works for me. Good Luck :laugh:
  • I thought I was alone in having a crazy scale! I've shrugged my shoulders while standing on the scale and gained a pound. Like others have said, I usually step on mine until I see the same number 3 times.
  • Marazene
    Marazene Posts: 97
    I bought a biggest loser digital scale and I always put it on the same place on the bathroom floor and weigh myself 3 times and its always consistant for the three times. You can buy that scale at any major department store for 30 40$.

Hope that helps!

goodluck!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Yep, mine is the same way. Mine is a WW digital & I have to store it vertical, but I heard that's not a problem, more likely my floors. I get on it a couple times & when I get two reads the same, that's what I use. I also don't got with the "point". I'm anul enough, I don't need to be watching the "points"! So I use a solid 199. Stick with the old one if you're happy.
This discussion has been closed.