Protein shake/pills/anything

kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
as im vegetarians i dont get much protein (feel free to look at my diary)
i was wondering whether i should start drinking protein shakes or take anything for it,
i dont want to build up muscle or anything so i dont know whether i need a lot.
any suggestions would be good.

Replies

• Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    I'm not vegetarian, so I'm not sure what's "safe" food and what's not. However, if you eat dairy...cottage cheese is fairly high in protein. And it tastes great plain (or with a little pepper), with salads, veggies, or fruit! =)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    hah i dont really eat dairy. only in food. im not a big fan of cheese
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    you should look online and figure out how much protein you need and try to get it in, MFP tell you grams to shoot for, my bes tfriend is a vegetarian and struggles soemtimes to get enough and she does not feel goof if she does not ge tit in consistently
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Protien shakes can be really high in calories so you need to take that into account. You don't have to use protien shakes to bulk up it can also help with muscle repair after doing cardio. Being vegetarian I'm sure that you most likely already take a multi vitamin. But you may want to try to increse you're Soy intake because Soy products are very high in protien.
  • There are a bunch of different options for protein for us veggies - here is a fun list with a TON of options:

1. ALL kinds of beans (black, kidney, great northern, chick peas, black eyed peas, green peas, lentils, pinto beans, lima beans)
    2. Tempeh
    3. Seitan
    4. Tofu
    5. Veggie burger
    6. Quinoa
    7. Oatmeal
    8. Brown rice
    9. Whole wheat bread
    10. Nuts
    11. Peanut butter
    12. Soy milk
    13. Hemp Protein
    14. Green Pea Protein
    15. Brown Rice Protein
    16. Vegan Protein Powder
    17. Plenty of rich green leafy vegetables
  • you should look online and figure out how much protein you need and try to get it in, MFP tell you grams to shoot for, my bes tfriend is a vegetarian and struggles soemtimes to get enough and she does not feel goof if she does not ge tit in consistently

I agree
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Add quinoa and Wheat gluten (if not allergic to gluten), i'm a vegetarian but i eat egg whites and cottage cheese, i don't know what you have available as far as meat substitues go but i eat those all the time, if you look at the ingredients on those, they are mostly wheat gluten and soy. there are also cheese substitutes.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Protein increases glucagon in the blood which helps release fat from the body. Protein is highly recommended for your body to repair itself. Your body breaks down protein to amino acids which are used for your immune system and muscles.

I don't think you could ever buik up. Your body type isn't like that. The recommendation for protein is your weight multiplied by...

.5 if you're sedentary
    1.0 if you're an athlete

and anywhere in between.

For you i'd recommend about .6 or .7
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 717 Member
    I consulted a dietitian when I started this journey. He said that women needed to be between 50-60 grams of protein. He also recommended UNJURY protein powder which is Medical Quality Protein. It is highly recommened. I have it in all the flavors and it is terrific. Each scoop is 20 grams of protein. I look forward to my shake at night. I add fruit to it and it is excellent. I highly recommend it. Just go to www.unjury.com and take a look
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    iv recently been advised to start trying Whey protein, which is low in carbs and fat and sugars. (well the brand that was recommended to me anyway) and i was really going on about the side effects cos the last thing i wana do is bulk up more but was told that this will fill me up for longer because its pure protein and will aid in my slimming.

i guess all you can do is research it but i do recommend speaking to a nutritionist first :o)