Does anyone else focuses on body fat percentage and inches?

Options
AZackery
AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
A lot of people focuses on their scale weight. Is there anyone else like me that focuses on their body fat percentage/pounds of fat on their body and inches?

I don't focus on my scale weight. I focus on my body fat percentage/pounds of fat on my body and inches. Losing these lets me see how much fat I'm losing. I weigh myself once a month and yes, I do log my scale weight along with my body fat percentage/pounds of body fat and inches. I have a body fat percentage goal that I'm aiming for. I don't know how long it will take me to get there and I'm fine with that , because I know that it's not easy to lose pounds of fat.

Baby steps will eventually get me to the finish line.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes.....

but it's a long slow journey, and it's very hard to measure body fat accurately. How are you measuring yours?
  • AZackery
    Options
    Hi Melaniecheeks,

I measure my body fat percentage on my body fat scale and I have a caliper, but I use the scale more. I use the formula to figure out my progress each month.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I gave up tracking my weight. The scale fluctuates too much. I check once a week simply because it's there and many websites I use need a weight for various reasons. I prefer to take measurements of various body parts and follow that. Body fat % is more difficult for me to get an accurate reading. I have calipers but can't quite seem to get the hang of them. When in doubt the local gym has their personal trainers do a free body fat reading and I'll stop in.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I commend you on your thinking. People look for the fast and easy, and it's refreshing to see someone with a clear grip on reality ;)
    I didn't focus on anything when I was losing. I kind of woke up and 2.5 years later I looked how I felt inside.
    Now though, it's all I focus on. I don't have a set goal, I'm enjoying the journey, but when I track progress it's all inches and bf!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I keep track of body fat and inches using a handheld monitor. I worry about its accuracy but I figure it's at least consistent!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I also am trying to follow body fat % more than scale weight. Scale weight was fine initially, but now I am closer to my goal, it's not going to cut it. I want a lower body fat % in the end, and don't care about the number on the scale as much, so long as I feel good, look good, and have a lot of muscle. :smile:

I use the Omron body fat analyzer to monitor my body fat. Calipers had been an attempt, as is with measurements and calculating from that. However, my handheld bf analyzer seems to be right in between the two and some reviews had said they were only 1% off from submersion (in water) bf testing - which I will do eventually, when I can afford it. haha.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I definitely commend you for this!!! While the scale numbers were originally a driving force to my new lifestyle (and still is to a point - just cause I would like to be at a healthy weight), the measurements/inches and body % numbers are equally as important - and revealing! Yes, I've lost 44 pounds, but I've also lost 16% body fat and over 60 inches. The makeup of my body is entirely different and I just *look* healthier than I did in college (even when I was still 30-35 pounds lighter).

I'm using the Bodybugg device to measure my calories burned... and through that online program, it requires different bits of info to help calculate my body fat %. I also have a scale that measures that too; however, that fluctuates depending on how hydrated I am... BUT, the delta number has gone down significantly!

It's not just about the scale (as you well know).... it's about your overall well-being.
  • AZackery
    Options
    The reason why I don't focus on scale weight, is because a scale weight loss doesn't mean that I have lost fat. Anyone can drop 5 pounds of scale weight in a day, but a person can't drop 5 pounds of fat in a day.

The scale weight is broken down into two parts: Pounds of fat on your body and Pounds of lean body mass. When you know your body fat percentage and work the formula, you can see if you are losing/gaining fat or muscles.

A weight gain doesn't mean a person has gained muscle. They could have gained fat.

Scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes a person wears or even if a person is healthy.

I try to get people to look at their body fat percentage and inches.
  • joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I measure my bodyfat, muscle mass and water %
    I dont mind putting on pounds as long as my bodyfat goes down
    Use salter scales - seem pretty accurate

I was 28% bodyfat 2 years ago
    down to 11% now

aiming for 9-10% for my holidays in September
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use a handheld as well to monitor my BF%. I trust it more than my scale. Nothing is 100% accurate but between that and my measuring tape I know I'm losing small amounts of fat while trying to preserve the lean muscle I have.
  • TruckinThePoundsOff
    Options
    I am doing all three. I have used my scale more so to keep and idea of what is being lost, but I also remember when I went and got tapped at M.E.P.S. for the military that my neck size was different and caused a problem. The first time they did it I was wrestling in H.S. and the second time they did it I was playing baseball. So my neck was stronger (bigger) the first time because we focus on a lot of shoulder and neck muscles to where baseball doe not.

I am following the scale more so because it makes me feel good to know when I get on there and see that I have lost 2 lbs or so since my last weight in. The taping is a good thing, but nobody really sees a difference at first when they look at themselves but with the scale you do see the difference. With taping I am going to do it once a week (Mondays) and see what inches are lost or added in that matter.

8005716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I track my number on the scale but I really focus on my BF % and the inches Im losing .... It makes me more aware of how my body is changing and what I need to work on more :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that's basically all I care about, BF%. What I weigh is unimportant to me. Looking to get down to 8% if possible, but 10% would be fine, currently at about 12% or so (fluctuate between 12.5% and about 11.5% depending on the week/month)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'll check my weight... but my fluctuation throughout the day is insane (+/- 5lbs at any given time)!!! I only check it to check it. I monitor my progress soley based on my %BF and circumference measurements. That's the only way I can stay sane!! Plus I'm building muscle, so my weight really has no bearing on my health, according to my BMI im obese!! But there's no way in hell I'll be able to get my weight within "normal" limits. I'd have to lose 35 lbs... I don't have 35 lbs of body fat to lose without going into the red zone health wise.
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    BF% is an important BENCHMARK measurement for me too. IMO all measurement is imprecise so the method (scale, bod pod, formulas) is less important the consistency (time, conditions). Personally I use a tanita scale in the athlete mode once a week in the morning when I first get up. The number is less important to me than the difference from week to week (Benchmark). What I like to see is if the number is trending down - hopefully.

Lucky for me I also have access to a bod pod at an Air Force base close to where I live. Every other month I get a bod pod done. That is BF% measurement I have the most faith in. On the other hand who needs a number – look at RCK82’s before and after pics.

I’m curious would anyone be interested in a weekly thread to post our BF%? If so, let me know and I'll set one up.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I use the scale just as something to look at and see.....
    But I truly don't care what the scale says so much as how I look and feel. I could weigh 150 and be happy with it if I fit into my size 8 jeans and didn't have to wear a bra that you can only buy in Lane Bryant for 55 dollars.
  • AZackery
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm not the only person on here who tracks their body fat percentage/pounds of fat and inches.
  • AZackery
    Options
    RCKT82, the BMI is only the body/height ratio. Everyone that's the same height and weighs the same will have the same BMI. Bodybuilders are classified as obese on a BMI chart. I don't even worry about my BMI. It can't tell you how much fat is on your body. The doctors uses this method for medical reasons. I let my doctor worry about the BMI. I'll worry about my body fat percent/pounds of fat and inches.