How do you stay motivated when...

Options
you are the smallest you have been in years and still not happy?!?! I am down to a size 6...which I can't ever remember being in, but I still see an over 200 pound girl in the mirror! my skin elasticity is shot after 4 babies...so there is some extra skin. I also have big hips and thighs. I just want to feel good in my new body instead of wondering why I lost the weight in the first place. anyone else going through this?

Replies

• jazznjagg
    jazznjagg Posts: 9
    Options
    I havent dealt with that personally, but it sounds like your focus may be a little off-you've lost LOTS of weight, which you should be thankful for. May be you can look in to having the extra skin removed. I know realisticly that isnt affordable for most, so in the mean time work on may be toning it or seeking medical advice on what can be done with it until you can afford to have it removed. Congrats on the weight loss lady! Celebrate your achievements and how far you've come!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Its psychological, but legitimately. Youve worked hard to lose the weight but after being "big" for so long you have to re-train yourself to SEE you look smaller. This isnt about pictures. Its about embracing your new body. The extra skin is hard to deal with, you can alsways look into surgical options once you have maintained for 6-12 months. But more over, you didnt except you when you were "heavy" so now you have to learn to accept yourself
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I havent gotten there yet, but that is exactly what I fear would happen to me. I am always afraid that even though I think that I will feel better about my looks when I lose weight, what would happen if I lose the weight and am still unhappy? I know it is hard to get through- but just focus on what you have accomplished and the other things that you have gained, like your health and energy and a better life for you and your children. As for the other things- why dont you talk to your doctor about ways to get rid of the extra skin? Even though it might take longer, I think there are ways to help your skin go back without surgery, or even with surgery if you would be ok with that. And, you can talk to your dr or try to find different exersizes that would focus on your hips and thighs to get them toned the way you want them to. Dont give up on yourself and the choices that youve made for yourself!:)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that there's a psychological component to weight loss and health that doesn't get addressed often enough. We have to get healthy in our minds as well as our bodies. Some people mind do this through counseling, others might talk to a religious or spiritual leader, some people might just read a book. I don't think it matters what path you take, but it's good look internally and do some self-reflection. It's probably good for anyone to do this, not just someone who has gone through recent changes like weight loss.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i seem to have the same problem, i have always had a eating disorder my whole life. When i starved myself in my teens i was underweight and sick alot, but i still saw a fat, ugly person staring back at me in the mirror. My self image was and still is terrible. No matter what i will always be that fat ugly person no one wants to be friends with. As an adult i am trying to figure it all out, but its hard still i am hard on myself, will never look the way i want and it is all in my head. It has everything to do with how i view myself and how my self worth level is at. Its all in your head you see the stuff no one else see's and pick apart your body until its nothing but all the bad stuff. I was told i focus on only the bad, and not see the good. So i am right there with you, except i havent lost all the weight you have lost and i know once i get there i will do the same..... I believe there is a deeper emotional issues to have to deal with on my journey that i hope i accomplish...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising and/or doing any strength training? You can lose weight without these activities but in order to make your body a different shape, more toned, more strong, you have to put the work in... And maybe a refocus from "weight loss/dress size" to "fit/toned/strong" will help you with that.

I'm not at goal yet but I'm only about 40 pounds away and know that I'll still have arm, belly and thigh flab to deal with but I'm not going to quit because of it! I'm going to keep getting stronger and more toned and hopefully that skin will at least be partially filled with some beautiful muscles.

Ladies, don't be afriad of getting strong - you're not going to look like a man or even look like one of those body building ladies unless you are on a very strict program of exercise and eating. Trust me...
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am at the lowest weight since I got preggo with my 11 years old son. Why oh why do a feel like a fat whale? I have no idea but I really feel like I have never been that fat in my life!!! Maybe it's just the extra skin ( after 6 kids I have some) I am now trying to lose another 5 pounds. Hopefully I will know where to stop. Good luck
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My son is 21 months old and I still have a bit of a sag to my belly (who am I kidding - I tuck it into my jeans!!). I lost 20lbs last year and it wasn't until I had lost 17/18lbs of this that the belly started to shrink. Its going but I have to accept at 41 that its going to longer and harder than if I was 20 years younger!

I find that still wearing the old clothes I had from before I was pregnant and only just fitting in to them, I feel bad about how I look because my body has changed and I haven't got all the way back to where I would like to be - yet.

My favourite way of helping me feel better about how I look is I time my shopping trips to get a new outfit so that I do it on the same day I get my haircut. The hairdresser does a great job if making me feel great from the neck up and for some reason then when I try on new clothes everything looks great. Going shopping in jogging bottoms and trainers has the opposite effect.
  • coultesr
    coultesr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am completely in the same place as you!!!! Granted, I still have about 10-15 pounds to lose to get in and under the healthy range for my height. I still see what I used to look like and even though I have lost significant weight... I pull at the hanging flab that hangs right above my pelvic bone. I had 2 kids back to back plus going up and down my whole life. I still wear larger clothes because I can't believe I fit in single digit clothes. I put on a pair of 8 jeans, they zipped, felt great (loose but fitted) and mentally, I told myself...this must not be a true 8 (must be an exaggerated size...vanity sizing or something like that).

If you come up with any ideas... let me know... I look at old photos of myself and photos of myself now. Sometimes... it actually takes looking at a picture without my face (from behind...neck down... to go oh hey, that person doesn't look too bad or that person looks good) and then realize that person is me.

However, I do know this... we have to accept ourselves and reward ourselves with positive expression and love... otherwise, if we keep seeing our old self... we may become that person again!
  • hangelgirl
    hangelgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have lost a lot of weight. This is the NEW YOU.... You need to get used to your NEW body... and the adjustment. I am now at my lowest I have ever been that i can remember and loving it. When I go look for clothes I still go into the LARGER Ladies section like XXL's I have to remember Im now fitting into a size 12/14 not a 22/24 :) It'll come... Enjoy the new you!