Meds and weight loss

Options
Does anyone have insight as to whether blood pressure meds can affect weight loss? I had postpartum preeclampsia in January and have been on various bp meds since then. I am still hoping to get off of them completely, but it's taking a lot longer than the doctors said it would. Usually it's 6 weeks...I'm going on 5 months.

Of course, the weight loss is slow too because I just had a baby and am breastfeeding, but it seems *extremely* slow this time around. I'm also 10 years older than when I had my first baby.

Thanks!
Kim

Replies

• fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Chances are it is the breastfeeding making it more difficult. When I was breastfeeding I could not lose anything. Others lose easily. May be age too. I was 39 when my now 9 month old was born. You don't want to restrict calories too much for fear it will affect your milk supply and your body wants to hold onto your nutrients to provide and make milk. You may check the side effects of the BP med, but you may just have to keep hanging in and doing what you can to get the weight off.

Oh, and exercise I would think could help with the BP too. Squeeze some or more in where you can.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm exercising...doing Jillian Michael's workouts and walking when I can. So the losing is happening, but I still weigh more than after my other 2 kids. I added 300 cals for breastfeeding and so far things seem to be going well. I was just curious about the meds. The doctor said weight loss/exercise would help my bp (which it has), but I wondered if there was some kind of circle effect -- bp meds also making it harder to lose weight. That is not listed as a side effect.

Have a great day! Off to meet with JM! ;-)