Weight gain from bad sunburn???

Options
What the heck?? I gained 5lbs this week. I have been sticking like glue to food intake and even increased my exercise alittle each day. Does anyone know if its possible to gain water weight from a awful sunburn a few days ago? This ever happen to anyone? If so how long did it take to go away?

Replies

• FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine so as your body would hold onto more water. keep the water intake up and watch your cals and it'll soon go.
  • mrbud
    mrbud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bad sunburn would make you retain fluid, :ohwell:
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes, a bad sunburn will make you retain water. I've had this happen to me. Just drink plenty of water to flush your system and give the body a few days to heal and you should be good as new.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to up my water intake.
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen this week in one day (after the sunburn day) I gained 2.5 lbs!!!!! I couldn't believe it I am hoping they drop off very soon as I am getting a little discouraged.
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    Oh, I'll have to remember to up my water intake over the next couple of months then.. I'm going to be having UVB therapy for a skin condition and it can make me a little on the pink side...
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As a fair skinned redhead, I can say that YES, the water retention from a bad sunburn can be quite high. A sunburn is after all a BURN and burns swell and are all puffy and soggy while they are healing. Lots and Lots of water both in and out but you will probably keep some water weight until the burn is completely healed.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it drops off too real soon it's been three days but I'm still real red. A lesson learned. Excess drinking H2O only lost 1/2 lb so far.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i had to bump....

i got burnt yesterday and gained a pound!! i was expecting a big loss cuz i've been working out and eating great. oh well, i hope the sunburn is the reason for my gain and that it will go away soon!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    hmmmm...its possible
  • taralynn06
    taralynn06 Posts: 13
    Options
    wow i never thought about that! thanks...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I got a really bad burn on my legs once (expired sunscreen and 6 hours in the Arizona sun at midday in July) and they swelled up pretty horribly for a couple of days afterward. So, yes, you can definitely retain water when you get sun burnt.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just came on looking for this! I've just come back from surfing for 4 days and although my diet wasn't perfect (some booze and chocolate) it also wasn't that bad. Plus I spent 6+ hours in the water each day surfing my *kitten* off and since I'm not that good, it's a pretty hefty workout! Couldn't understand why I seem to have put on 4lbs! Only explanation is the fairly bad sunburn I'm sporting. I'm a fair-skinned redhead and even with constant application of sunblock I almost always burn if I'm out in the sun for any length of time. Here's hoping it'll disappear over the next week!
  • hlwilder
    hlwilder Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and SO upset right now. I was on track to be at my goal weight early this week. However, I got FRIED on Monday and since then have gained weight. I currently weigh the same as I did 5 days ago. So frustrated because I can't be certain if it is only water retention from the bad burn, or if it is something else... Help?? If anyone has had this happen before, how long did it take for to lost the water weight from the sunburn?
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    just thought I'd check in to let you know that a few days post sunburn I've lost the phantom 4lbs plus one extra one so fingers crossed for you too!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You are right. In simple terms, a burn is an inflammatory response. Inflammation=swelling, and swelling is localised tissues engorging with fluid. So yep, if you got a widespread burn, you can expect a lot of fluid retention during the swelling stage. Take some ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory, drink a LOT of water and eat more than you expect you need - healing large areas of inflamed tissue takes a lot of energy from your body, so forget what the scale says, eat well and drink plenty of fluids. And get some 30+! Sunburn is horrible.
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well I had not done any tracking or running in about two weeks ...then I get sunburnd .... I have now gained 4lbs total ugh then I was told I could gain weight from sunburn its been a week and yay ...so far 3lbs down meaning I only gained 1lb ....sure u should be about six lbs under that if I kept my goals ...but I am back on again tracking and running .... everyone has slumos .... I would have never thought sunburns made u gain weight ...
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was at the beach on Saturday and got a bad sunburn...gained 2.5 pounds the day after. Today is Tuesday and I am down 1 lb. Hope tomorrow is better since yesterday my sunburn still hurt and I am still red today...
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this post, I got badly burnt over the weekend and noticed my weight fly up over the following days by a few pounds. I did consider it might be water retention from the burn. More concerned about the pain from the burning on my back clearing up soon though, since it wakes me up in the night.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I was trying to figure out if that's the reason the scale is up today. First really nice day of the year and I burn my arms & legs...