Peanut Butter?

Options
So...peanut butter is one of my favorite foods...it's so good! Is it bad for you? I know it has a lot of fat...so I am not really sure if it is good for you. Also...I am looking for a peanut butter that is more on the healthy side, but does not taste disgusting. I have tried the reduced fat peanut butter and it was gross. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Other than the fact that it is dense in calories, there is nothing wrong with it and it will not affect your health or weight loss goals, as long as you stay in a caloric deficit.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's good for you. High in protein, and the fat is the good fat. Remember, our bodies need fat. It's best to get a natural peanut butter -- one that is just basically just ground peanuts. Processed peanut butters like regular old Jif or Skippy have added sugars.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    I love incorporating peanut butter into my breakfast. LOVE it but you're right about the calories. I usually will use 1/2 of the serving size but it's enough to cover my sandwich round.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    one spoonful a day!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes! Peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks. Just go all natural.
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter...cashew butter is delish too. I agree, loads of calories. It kills me to put 1-2 tablespoons on my english muffin. I want to load it up! On the other hand, it's a great source of protein.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    it is a good source of protein and good fats so I do eat it in moderation. I like the natural skippy. It still has about 180 cal for 2 tbsp. I usually add 1-2 tbsp to my chocolate protein shake and it tastes like a reese's peanut butter cup! MMMMM!!!! :D
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Buy all natural pb. The kind that only contains peanuts. It's really good. I eat crazy richards.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Anything Peanut Butter & Co touches is pure gold. Deeeee-lish. I've found that a big spoonful as dessert helps curb cravings later. God I'm drooling at my desk...
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    I use PB2... not exactly the same, but lets me feel like I am enjoying peanut butter at a fraction of the calories. :)
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love PB2!!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I heard there is powder peanut butter you can buy online . I buy crazy richards natural peanut butter and pour off the fat that rises to the top.
    It's really thick but I don't care. You can't put it in the frig.
  • rickymare
    rickymare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can buy the peanut butter powder. It has 85% less calories. Here is an example. http://www.amazon.com/Powdered-Peanut-Butter-12-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JY6
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually have peanut butter with my toast for breakfast and again in the afternoon before my workout. I usually rely on it's calorie density to meet my daily calories requirement.

The most healthy peanut butters are the ones with the least amount ingredients on the label (typically).
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am a PB fiend! Its great for you! Its full of healthy fats our body needs. However, moderation is the key. It is very calorie dense and I limit myself to 2 tbs per day. I would stay clear of processed PB like the previous poster says. Get all natural PB. The only ingredient should be peanuts, no added salt, oils, or sugar. There will be oil separation but that's natural, Just stir and enjoy!

Stay away from reduced fat PB. Its no good. THey just replace the health fat with sugar and carbs, just to save 10 calories! Not worth it!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance Omega-3 peanut butter is my absolute favorite. They use molasses as a sweetener (and not much of that), and it's very tasty. Pricey, but watch the sales and you can get a good deal occasionally. I just limit myself to one tablespoon at a time, which isn't hard if you're already practicing portion control.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I would go with anything organic. Read the ingredients closely and look for a peanut butter that has raw peanuts. I personally use almond butter. I only pick out ones that list the one and only ingredient as 'raw almonds'. I then use pure maple syrup or agave nectar to sweeten it to taste.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Jif make a low sugar and low sodium peanut butter.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I picked up the kraft 25% less fat and it taste the same to me. I will have it sometimes with saltines and a cup of milk, it has replaced my chocolate bars that i used to crave. I had a peanut butter and jam sandwich with a glass of milk for lunch the other day. it was amazing. lol it came to 440 calories.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get Krema - the only ingrediant is peanuts! :) No salt added. As long as you give it a good stir when you open it it's pretty good!