Protein Shakes--Need Help Choosing The Right One!

Options
I recently started lifting (2 weeks ago). I feel like a lot of people use a protein powder. The problem is I have no clue about anything about protein powder. I have been looking up several things online and on here and I am still confused. So here is my list of questions:

1. Does it matter how you have the protein powder? Is it better for you to have it just mixed with water or make it into a smoothie like so many people have posted here?

2. Does it make you gain weight? I have heard that it does but I am not sure? I am still about 10 pounds away from my "goal weight" but I have decided to change my goals and focus more on % body fat rather than how many pounds I way.

3. I have found a website with the "Top 5 Protein Powders" the ones they list are: Myotein by XPI Supplements, Syntha-6 by BSN, MyoFusion by Gaspari Nutrition, BSN True-Mass by BSN and Optimum 100% Casein Protein. Is there one of these I should get?

4. How often do I take this stuff? Every time I lift? Do I need to drink it every day? Do I drink it on days I just do cardio?

5. How do I know if i need to drink a protein powder drink/smoothie or not?

I appreciate any and all advice in this situation. As a side note I do prefer chocolate over vanilla but I will gladly drink whatever flavor is available for the protein powder that is best for me.

Replies

• Bigfootehs
    Options
    I drink a protein shake everyday. I like the Herbalife shakes. they dont taste like dirt and there are many different flavors. i prefer the cookies and cream. i drink it for breakfast then havea healthy snack/lunch/dinner. Ive tried other protein shakes and dont like the taste or texture of alot of them.

sorry i didnt answer all the questions.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So are you suppose to replace a meal with the protein shake?
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Please realize I am not a trainer, and this is just my personal experience.

1. I mix (in blender) with ice and water, because I like the flavor. Some people will add other fruits, etc. but they are not necessary - the real purpose of MY shake is to get the protein... and mixing with water covers that.

2. Nope - its still about calories for weight loss. Now, all protein powders have other substances in them and some of them will increase water retention - but as for "weight loss" - just fit it into your daily calorie goals and it shouldn't have a major affect.

3. I personally use Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein or EAS Whey... but those are personal choices. Haven't tried the others. Try "searching" the community for those types and see what the other threads have to say.

4. I take it almost every day because I am trying to increase my protein intake (~30-40% of my macro-nutrients), but I also workout 6 days a week (3x strength, 3x cardio), so that could be why. So yes, I do it on cardio and strength days.

5. Can't really answer this... I did mine because I was trying to increase my protein intake. There are LOTS of theories (some of which I am sure will appear on this thread), but I tend to believe it helps promote muscle growth, healthy eating and feeling "full" on a set number of calories.

Hope this helps and you find what you are looking for.

PS: DO NOT replace the meal with a protein shake - its a supplement... not a replacement.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle Milk everyday within 30 minutes after I workout. It comes in a powder or you can buy it pre-made. It was recommended to me by a body builder at the vitamin shop and I absolutely love it! It works very very well as a recovery drink and the taste is terrific (chocolate) and it doesn't make me bloated which is a plus! It literally tastes like a shake. I buy the pre-made because I am usually in a rush, but the powder one is great too. Not expensive compared to others. You can find it at most grocery stores including Walmart and SAMS. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle Milk everyday within 30 minutes after I workout. It comes in a powder or you can buy it pre-made. It was recommended to me by a body builder at the vitamin shop and I absolutely love it! It works very very well as a recovery drink and the taste is terrific (chocolate) and it doesn't make me bloated which is a plus! It literally tastes like a shake. I buy the pre-made because I am usually in a rush, but the powder one is great too. Not expensive compared to others. You can find it at most grocery stores including Walmart and SAMS. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

This is me too, though I just started drinking them and I drink Muscle Milk Light. I'm trying to increase my protein intake. I like the pre-mixed shakes because they are convenient...I can just grab and go. I drink them within 30 minutes of working out. I've only tried the chocolate flavor so far, and it's pretty good. Also, the 8.3 oz shakes are only 100 calories. =)
  • kellefitz
    kellefitz Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there. I have been taking Shakeology since June of last year. It is a meal replacement shake that does more than just replace a meal. I have lost 32 pounds with Shakeology and exercise.

I guess I'm not allowed to provide a link about it. If you search Shakeology you can get all the facts.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do Visalus which is a meal replacement shake with 12 g of protein to start (before soy, almond, skim milk or water) and you can add peanut butter for an extra protein boost. I love the shakes, I can create a shake out of over 100 different recipes based on what I want to eat (mocha, strawberry shortcake, various berry smoothies, chocolate banana or peanut butter, etc.)

It's $117 shipped to CA and that's for 2 shakes a day for 30 days or you can get a 30 day supply of 1 shake a day for $45 before shipping. I can't post the link because it's a MLM company but you can Google it.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I recently started lifting (2 weeks ago). I feel like a lot of people use a protein powder. The problem is I have no clue about anything about protein powder. I have been looking up several things online and on here and I am still confused. So here is my list of questions:

1. Does it matter how you have the protein powder? Is it better for you to have it just mixed with water or make it into a smoothie like so many people have posted here? ANSWER: No, it does not matter. Adding anything other than water will increase calories, however.

2. Does it make you gain weight? I have heard that it does but I am not sure? I am still about 10 pounds away from my "goal weight" but I have decided to change my goals and focus more on % body fat rather than how many pounds I way. ANSWER:The only thing that makes you gain weight is a caloric surplus. No one food will make you gain or lose weight

3. I have found a website with the "Top 5 Protein Powders" the ones they list are: Myotein by XPI Supplements, Syntha-6 by BSN, MyoFusion by Gaspari Nutrition, BSN True-Mass by BSN and Optimum 100% Casein Protein. Is there one of these I should get? ANSWER: All those sites are trying to do is sell you more supplements. I find that MyoFusion has the best mixability and taste. Just personal opinion.

4. How often do I take this stuff? Every time I lift? Do I need to drink it every day? Do I drink it on days I just do cardio? ANSWER: Protein shakes ARE NOT NEEDED if you are reaching your daily protein minimums. If you find it hard to reach your minimums through whole foods such as beef, chicken,eggs, dairy, etc, then you should consider protein shakes.

5. How do I know if i need to drink a protein powder drink/smoothie or not? ANSWER: Answered above.

I appreciate any and all advice in this situation. As a side note I do prefer chocolate over vanilla but I will gladly drink whatever flavor is available for the protein powder that is best for me.

Answers in quote.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Another Question:

If I go over my daily allowance of protein on a daily basis do I need to drink a protein shake? Is there any benefit or drawback if I do or do not drink it?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Another Question:

If I go over my daily allowance of protein on a daily basis do I need to drink a protein shake? Is there any benefit or drawback if I do or do not drink it?

Again,

The only reason you would drink a protein shake would be if you have not hit your protein minimum requirements using whole foods. This any other things can be calculated using this link.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • coolcatcan
    Options

Good luck!

This is me too, though I just started drinking them and I drink Muscle Milk Light. I'm trying to increase my protein intake. I like the pre-mixed shakes because they are convenient...I can just grab and go. I drink them within 30 minutes of working out. I've only tried the chocolate flavor so far, and it's pretty good. Also, the 8.3 oz shakes are only 100 calories. =)
  • coolcatcan
    Options
    That's what I drink as well. Chocolate I found to be the best tasting. Occasionally, when I feel I need more protein, I will drink one that is a little bigger and higher in calories. It doubles as my chocolate fix and reward! Yummy!
  • coolcatcan
    Options
    Protein builds muscle, so it's not a big deal if you go over. You need really need a recovery drink to rebuild muscle and help lessen the soreness :~)
  • coolcatcan
    Options
    addition to my previous comment: For muscle milk, if you choose the light, it has 15g of protein so if you find that you are going to go over, you can always drink the light (if you choose to go with muscle milk). I think the highest I've seen is 34g. Another plus is that, at least for the light, it has 0g of sugar and .5g of sat. fat. which is great! I have found, out of all the protein shakes/powders I have used, this one is the only one that has not made me feel like a bloated balloon.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    How does Muscle Milk do as a meal replacement type of thing? Is it enough to fill you up for a while?
  • txsarge17
    txsarge17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    EAS whey can be purchased at Sam's in a very large bag for very cheap. I normally drink one in the morning first thing with skim milk and a shot of chocolate syrup, then another with just water right after my workout. I've lost quit a bit of weight doing this, I just make sure to count them in my calories. I also eat a Pure Protein bar in the afternoon, which has very little sugar and fat for the amount of protein, and tastes pretty damn good!

As far as going over the protein goal, several members have commented about manually adjusting your goals if you are working out hard to have a little higher percentage of protein versus fat and carbs. That's what I did. I get about 140-150g a day.
  • coolcatcan
    Options
    You should never use muscle milk as a replacement, only as a supplement. I heard Shakeology by beachbody was a great replacement meal. Word of caution, it's very pricey...about $120 for 30 day supply...ouch!
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein. I drink it after a workout and also right before bed. Muscle breaks down or something while you sleep. When I do this, I see more weight loss than when I don't. And I think it's better to be over on protein than under.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have used:

EAS (The Whey Protein and the Myoplex Light premade shakes)
    Muscle Milk ( same as above)
    Pure Protein (I have used the Jillian Michaels too that you can get at Wal Mart.)

All of them have been pretty good for me. And I use them as a supplement, and meal replacement (by making a smoothie with fruit) sometimes If I don't have the time to fix something.

Keep an eye out for the sodium content though. Some of them have a lot of sodium in them, if you're trying to watch your sodium intake.