coffee drinkers

Options
How do you make your coffee healthier? I love my cups of coffee in the morning, I trying to get down to one since I know I don't need all the caffiene. I also like to put a lot of creamer in there with a lot of sugar so I know that I need to make it a little healthier but how? I know I should cut down on the sugar but I can't do without the creamer what should I use that won't add too many calories. TIA.

Replies

• shamm08
    shamm08 Posts: 109
    Options
    How do you make your coffee healthier? I love my cups of coffee in the morning, I trying to get down to one since I know I don't need all the caffiene. I also like to put a lot of creamer in there with a lot of sugar so I know that I need to make it a little healthier but how? I know I should cut down on the sugar but I can't do without the creamer what should I use that won't add too many calories. TIA.
  • Fitztay
    Options
    I'm an addict myself :)
    I use a coffee presser and use just two scoops of fresh ground beans (vs recommended 6). I also switched to vanilla flavored soy milk....I know soy milk is an acquired taste - but give it a try!
    Good luck!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do you measure how much cream and sugar you put in? Then if you know exactly how much you put in start putting in less, let's say every so many days, and soon you will be drinking coffee with less cream and less sugar. Use some splenda but not much either... Is the creamer real creamer or non dairy?? It is just a matter of getting used to the new taste or way of drinking it. I still put non dairy creamer or soymilk drink (only a 1/4 cup) in mine but I basically drink it black. And I put only half of a little envelope of splenda in my coffee so to most people it is bitter...but I like that way now. It took years to get to that point. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love lots of cream with my coffee
    1st I went to powdered ( oops lots of HFCS, might as well have my sugar)

I still love the powdered so I have been added milk more and more, decreasing the amount of cremora.

I love to make a cold drink with the left over coffee for my afternoon break.

3 oz coffee, 4 oz 1% milk, drop of choc syrup, 1 sugar

YUMMY :drinker: :drinker:
  • girldeese
    Options
    I use a packet of splenad and 2 tbsp sugar free coffee creamer.....then mine is only 60 cals.....but I did see at the store yesterday Splenda has a combo hazelnut / splenda coffee creamer sweetner (in other flavors too) and they are 0 yes zero cals....so I am buying them next!! Yea....I love my coffee....I actually get an iced latte almost every day and have no personal problems with the 180 cals, I eat no breakfast......but that's me! :wink:

You can look them up at splenda.com:heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee half n half. Half coffee, half International Delight French Vanilla creamer!

I measured once how much creamer I was using. SIXTEEN TABLESPOONS!!:noway: (260 cals!!)

I began using sugar free french vanilla coffee creamer. Cut cals that way.

Then I began using powdered french vanilla coffee creamer as a substitute for my liquid creamer, half n half there..... both liquid and powdered creamer. Drastically cut cals again.

My coffee now, in my travel mug is comprised of 6 tbsp of sugar free (great value, walmart brand) french vanilla powdered creamer, 4 tbsp of fat free french vanilla liquid creamer, and my coffee. I think my calorie count is now 124 cals!

That is the long, drawn out version of how I've been able to pull away from the rich calorie coffee while maintaining my flavor. I did this transition over the course of a couple weeks. I have gotten use to the taste and it's not bad.
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    I used to drink grande flavored breves everyday and in the mornings I always added about a quarter cup of Hazelnut creamer...
    I slowly weaned myself off of the breves by looking up the calories, fat grams etc....I read the ingredients in my creamer and quit using it, and used a teaspoon of raw sugar instead, my coffee is now black.
    It was a process.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do work up to doing without the creamer and sugar (or sweetener). I used to drink mine with TONS of cream and Splenda. Then cut back on the Cream, then cut it out completely. Then cut back on the Splenda, and now have cut it out completely. And trust me, if I did it, anyone can because I was really drinking sweet cream with a splash of coffee when I started this in April.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I love the splenda flavor packs or the sugar free flavorings. Sometimes I will use lite vanilla soy milk as well. Or even put just a tiyy bit of cinnamon in it. I only really drink coffe when it is cool weather nad it is right around the corner so I have stocked up!!!!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee half n half. Half coffee, half International Delight French Vanilla creamer!

I measured once how much creamer I was using. SIXTEEN TABLESPOONS!!:noway: (260 cals!!)

Then I began using powdered french vanilla coffee creamer as a substitute for my liquid creamer, half n half there..... both liquid and powdered creamer. Drastically cut cals again.

My coffee now, in my travel mug is comprised of 6 tbsp of sugar free (great value, walmart brand) french vanilla powdered creamer, 4 tbsp of fat free french vanilla liquid creamer, and my coffee. I think my calorie count is now 124 cals!

That is the long, drawn out version of how I've been able to pull away from the rich calorie coffee while maintaining my flavor. I did this transition over the course of a couple weeks. I have gotten use to the taste and it's not bad.
    that sounds a lot like how I like my coffee:smile: I switched to the fat free coffeemate liquid french vanilla, but I still like a lot in it. I keep trying to put less and less, but I always end up about the same. It's something that I have gotten used to in my logs everyday, so I don't worry about it.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I make homemade frappuccinos ~

· 8 oz strong brewed coffee
    · 1 tablespoon Torani or DaVinci Vanilla Sugar-Free Syrup
    · 1 tablespoon Torani or DaVinci Hazelnut Sugar-Free Syrup
    · splash sugar-free rice milk
    · ½ cup ice

Add all ingredients to large container (blender or Magic Bullet) and blend.

Syrups are sweet so you may want to play with amounts according to your taste.

If you like a little more thickness, you can use 1-2 Tbsp of Just Whites (dried egg whites) - good protein & really no flavor....
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

I was putting about about 1 cup or more of cream in mine. I've mentioned before that my FAVORITE coffee treat before starting my health journey was Viet Namese Coffee. I even bought the little special coffee maker thingie off eBay like you see sitting on cup of this glass in the photo.

It's made with SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK--I would use about 1 cup of that or more. That's the white stuff you see in the bottom of this glass. I don't even want to think about how many calories and fat I was drinking :sick:

IMG_1039s.jpg
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

that sounds a lot like how I like my coffee:smile: I switched to the fat free coffeemate liquid french vanilla, but I still like a lot in it. I keep trying to put less and less, but I always end up about the same. It's something that I have gotten used to in my logs everyday, so I don't worry about it.

that's me too....love my fat free vanilla creamer...sometimes if I know I'm doing a lot of exercise that day I'll put a splash of tiramisu creamer too mmmmmmmmm but no splenda anymore because it gives me headaches...i tried the sugar free type and it was from splenda and had a funny aftertaste...yuk! and ouch! :noway: I use 4 tbsp or 5 sometimes if I have a bigger cup:bigsmile: of the fat free van cream...125 cals...tops...not too bad...for me its part of a good day!:drinker:

hugs!
    Ali
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I switched to instant coffee a number of years ago. Taster's Choice is the best. I find it hard to drink regular coffee now as it is too strong and too bitter. I had a Starbucks a couple of months ago and felt nauseaus drinking it.

When you use instant it's easier to get by on less cream. I drink mine with 1/4 c 1% milk and a sweetner. It's a different taste that takes getting used to. perhaps try it with whole milk at first and work your way down. One cup of coffee per above with 1% milk is about 25 calories. If I do get a coffee out, I get a cappacino with low fat milk. I consider this the equivalent of about 1 cup of milk (in calories).
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee and tea with nothing in it. I was raised on unsweet tea so that was easy and i just started having plain black coffee and now i do not like anything in it.:drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee and tea with nothing in it. I was raised on unsweet tea so that was easy and i just started having plain black coffee and now i do not like anything in it.:drinker:

Me too, I just love my coffee but drink it black so no added cals/ sugar. :wink:
  • punka274
    Options
    I drink my coffee with two table spoons of fat free half and half and some equal! its the one thing in not willing to alter! I :heart: my coffee in the mornings.mmmmm
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    For those who love half and half in their coffee. Do you know they make fat free half and half? Don't know how they do it but they do. I don't know how many calories it is but it is fat free. I finally taught myself to drink it black.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Blech.... I hate black coffee.... but I hate calories worse.... but I still need a kickstart in the morning.... gawd I hate geting up.... not a morning person.... blech....
    JuanValdez.jpg
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    For those who love half and half in their coffee. Do you know they make fat free half and half? Don't know how they do it but they do. I don't know how many calories it is but it is fat free.

Sugar free has slightly less calories than fat free, at least in International Delight coffee creamers