Lessening Sodium.

Options
I don't know if I'm on my own here, but I've heard that if you wash off the food beforehand, the sodium will be reduced. My uncle was the one to introduce me to this idea. He said that he would eat canned veggies and he was concerned with the sodium. He would get a drainer bowl and just let the water run over it and it would decrease. I'm not much into sandwich meat, but I've noticed that the saltiness taste has declined once I've washed it off. Do you think this is a bogus idea?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's just as easy to buy fresh :)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's just as easy to buy fresh :)

Yeah, I know. I tend to. Just a question. :]
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've seen them do that on some of the cooking shows I watch. I don't think it's bogus. I def think fresh is best, but I actually prefer canned green beans to fresh (don't ask me why...) so I have them around. I may have to try it out. Although, how would you track that... hmmm...
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I stick with fresh or frozen, but there are times I might not be able to get to the store and buy more, so I'll stick with what's in the house. And plus, a lot of restaurants use canned vegetables. I learned that at these mom and pop places. But I don't think I would take that into the bathroom and wash them off. lol
    I'm not too worried about this tracking really. It's just for my benefit.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    haha Yeah, I don't think I'd rinse my veggies in a bathroom sink either. lol Grody.