Running Shoes

Options
Kat5343
Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
I have some worn out shoes and am in need of some good shoes......I am walking/jogging right now but want to end up running exclusively....any ideas about the best shoe with the most comfort......

Replies

• black_mamba75
    Options
    Brooks running shoes...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running gear and have them fit you for shoes - they will look at the way you run and how your feet strike the ground and find the best shoe for you. Having the right shoes is critical to running and remaining injury free, and not something someone can recommend over the web, because everyone's feet and running form is different, and what works for one person might be completely wrong for you.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    asics
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. You will end up paying a little more money for your shoes (good running shoes are around $100), but it will be so worth it! I made the initial mistake of buying some cheapo running shoes at Fred Meyer and ended up getting plantar fasciitis because of it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's whatever shoes your running store suggests based on your jogging/running gait analysis.
  • Nickole71
    Nickole71 Posts: 6
    Options
    Id have to say it probably depends on your feet. But I find that only Asics fit my feet right and give me support... I have a wider foot. I know a lot pf people like New Balance for running. I would suggest going to a Good shoe store have your foot measured, tell them what you want, and ask them to help you. The brand is less important than the right fit.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just purchased New Balance 1064. I am at the same place right now, walking and jogging but mainly jogging. They feel great.
  • cdclark81
    cdclark81 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with srp2011. If you go to a specialty running store, they can make recommendations based on the shape of your foot as to what your best options for a running should would be. There's one near my house that actually has you run on a treadmill for a few minutes while they watch your feet to see how they hit the surface.
    Each brand of shoe will have different models based on your arch type as well, so you don't necessarily have to stick with a particular brand based on your foot. I prefer Brooks and am currently running in the Adrenaline GTS 11. I've also run with Asics before and like their GT-2130.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I tried the Brooks as they were highly recommended only to take them off after less than a mile and i could barely walk due to a previous stress fracture that they irritated. Everyone's foot is different. I good fitting from a specialized store is a MUST. As the guy in the store told me, "All shoes feel good in the store, that's why even Wal-Mart can sell shoes. You have to work out in them and if the store won't let you do that, then find another store."
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I know they look dumb but I wear Vibrams exclusively during any kind of walk, run, biking or workout. Love them!
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I bought Vibram Five Fingers and LOVE them!!!
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im not sure where your located but there are several good stores that will watch you run and fit you with the right ones. If your going to buy them yourself iI reconmend either Brooks, New Balance, or Saucony. I have very flat feet so I run in Saucony! They are amazing... be prepared to spend atleast 100 bucks... but it is well worth it in the long run. Less chance for injuries!! Good luck.. if your ever around the Washington DC area and need a running partner let me know!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    asics
    I just got asics nimbus a week ago and love them!
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest. I never thought in a million years that I would pay $100 for shoes. However, I just bought a pair of Asics, and they are the freakin' bomb. They have a gel layer and I can plyo to my hearts content without my feet hurting!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting fitted. however if you decide to ignore that advice and just buy a pair. Stay away from Nike and reebok and stick with Asics, brooks, new balance, or saucony. I personally run in nothing but Asics most of the time however the others I mentioned are good shoes. Also steer clear of specialty things like trail shoes or walking shoes, or cross trainers... Just buy a pair of running shoes.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    the best way to know would be to get fitted for shoes based on your gait and arch at a running store. i recently went to road runner sports, and they watched how i ran, how my balance was and where i put pressure on my feet, etc. and they determined i need a stability shoe. i chose the asics 2160 in the end because they're super comfortable and provide good support. the salesperson said asics kayano is also really popular - in fact, he said those two models are the top selling in their store and website.

hope you find a shoe that you love!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I went to Sneakerama and was fitted for running shoes. I'm like you...walking on my treadmill regularly and hope to learn how to run on my treadmill without fear of falling. I had Nike Air that I bought a couple of years ago to use with a Nike+ transmitter and iPod but I never liked them. My ankles were always sore and felt like my food would turn over all the time. I found that I had constant feet pain anytime I tried to walk in them outside (less noticable on the treadmill). I recently invested in a pair of Asics Gel-Fortitude4 (women). The soul is slightly wider and built to provide more stability so my ankles don't feel like they're taking so much abuse when I'm walking. I'm actually starting to look forward to getting out and walking again. I tried on at least half a dozen pairs before selecting these and only after the store owner evaluated my arch and how I walked (what part of the foot hits the ground first (inside/outside, etc). I'm still out of shape and my muscles ache a little but I'm not worried anymore about my feet hurting as I'm walking anymore.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    2a2dde4f7fe8dc7b_876dfeb6e09ccb3f_FNP_SCL_00099451222.jpg
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When you find the shoes you like remember to replace them often. Every three months I demote my current exercise shoes to work shoes and buy new exercise shoes. After three months they just don't have the support needed and are worn out even if they look fine. I sometimes buy two pair of a shoe I like because that model probably won't be available in three months.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    vibrams!!!!!!