Question for the fitness experts! Elliptical trainer vs. Jil

muffindowd
muffindowd Posts: 55
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been working my tail off on our home elliptical 6x a week for 45min a workout. I do a tough program at a very high resistance level and try to mix it up each day. I burn between 700 and 800 calories according to the elliptical (I know this is not necessarily a completely accurate number).

I've been at this for about 6 weeks now and with my healthy eating changes I have lost 16 pounds!! I love My Fitness Pal!! Anyway I am happy to continue on doing what I am doing, but I am wondering if I would be getting better results if I add in some Jillian Michaels workouts in place of the elliptical on some days.

I used the 30 day shred to get in shape for our wedding a couple years ago and had great results!! I have Ripped in 30 and was thinking about adding that in 3x a week and doing the elliptical the other 3x a week. My question is...what will get me better results, sticking with what I am doing with the high calorie burn, or add in the strength training. I know that I won't burn quite so many calories doing her workouts, but that with the strength training I will be burning calories long after I am finished working out. I also feel like I am getting lots of strength/resistance training by doing such difficult programs on the elliptical. What is the best balance?

I also have the Insanity workout program and have no intention of attempting that one again just yet, but maybe in a couple of months :).

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    You can burn a ton of calories doing a Jillian workout and IMO get a better workout in general. Start with 5 lbs but keep going up every few weeks to make it more challenging and burn more calories, plus add strength! You can't add any strength on the elliptical so keep that in mind.

I prefer her workouts instead of cardio.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    I would try to work in the 30DS because... The elliptical DOES do a good job with resistance for the muscle groups it actually targets, but Jillian targets a larger range including both the larger and smaller muscle groups... I don't think it could hurt to vary the workouts either. After a while your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over, and adding something different into the mix will make it 'step up' a little bit!
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Mix it up, is my thought. Strength training is important for adding muscle (which burns more at rest than fat) and for bone health for us women. Cardio is important too, though. You need both strength and endurance. Also, I find that I get bored doing the same thing too often, so changing up the routine keeps it interesting. Good luck to you!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    I've been cardio-obsessed since the first of the year and have has super slow results. I'm finally biting the bullet in the last couple of weeks and getting back into some strength/weight training. The best weight loss results I had was when I did a 1 hour personal training session almost weekly for 7 months! So, I figured there was some merit to that. What I've learned in the last week while getting back into it - with treadmill/elliptical workouts I have maintained most of my leg/lower-body strength, my upper body and arm muscles have turned into gooey jello!!

And, by building your muscle more, you'll burn more calories. Win/Win!

Keep up the great work!!
  • muffindowd
    Thanks everyone :). I knew that to be true, but I think I needed some other people telling me so as well...

I think I am going to add in the Ripped in 30. Maybe 3x a week on the elliptical, 3x a week Ripped in 30 (maybe + another 15 on the elliptical)??

I feel like I'm in an exercise rut. The elliptical is working well for me...and my husband bought it for me to use, so I fully plan to continue using it...but I feel ready to add in something else, so I should listen to my body and do it!!

In the past I remember being completely exhausted by the time I was done with the 20 or 25 minute workout in 30 Day Shred, so I'm sure Ripped in 30 is an awesome workout too. I just get such an awesome calorie burn on the elliptical!! I have read that you only burn about 250 calories in a Jillian workout...but, my muscles will continue burning calories long after I'm done. I need to suck it up and make this change I think.
  • muffindowd
    Update...I did Jillian's Ripped in 30 on Saturday along with 15 min on the elliptical and then my normal 45 min on the elliptical yesterday...I am SORE!! I'm really glad I started to mix it up because I can tell this is going to work!!

I'm going to do 15 min on elliptical + Jillian on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays, 45 min on elliptical on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays...Friday rest day :). Thanks for your responses, it was the push I needed to make a change in my routine!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    ^^^ That's a good start! Along with a good diet you should see results!
This discussion has been closed.