LJ's Tuna Casserole Recipe

LJSpady
LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
Hey ya'll!
So some of my MFP friends wanted to know about this Tuna Casserole recipe. I'm just gonna paste the recipe here from my page and then tell you guys a little more about it

tunacasserole.jpg

So yeah, that's the list of ingredients and the nutritional info. Some people (pretty much everyone in my family but me, 'cause I hate mushrooms) like to use cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of celery. There's usually only a 10-20 calorie difference (based on the brand you use) between the two, and 20 calories divided into 7 servings isn't much, so do whatever makes you happy!

Pre-heat the oven to about 350-375 (depends on our altitude)
So I usually cook the past first, and get that out of the way. Just boil then 'til they're tender. drain them, set them aside.
Put the Tuna into the casserole dish first (I find it's easier to mix that way). Then add the pasta. The stir in the soup and 1/2 of the 1 cup of cheese. Mix it all evenly. Stick it in the oven for about 20-25 mins. Don't worry about under-cooking it, all of the ingredients are "fully cooked" and safe to eat before you even put it in the oven, so you're just wanting the soup to firm up and the cheese to melt into the soup. You do however want to make sure you don't over cook it!!! After 20-25 mins check on it. Should still look a little soupy, but that's ok. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and let it cook for another 5 mins and your done!
Now this casserole isn't huge, like I said, it only make 7 (sometimes 8) serving of 2/3 cups, so if you're making this for your family you might want to tweak the recipe. But if you just cook for yourself like me, this is very convient to make Sunday night and take in your lunch box all week for a yummy and healthy lunch/snack.

Sorry this isn't that structured. I like to think of recipes as suggestive guildelines, not instruction manuals. This is VERY different from the recipe my mom originally gave me but I had to make it healthier (she used A LOT more cheese and whole milk/creamer mixed in the soup)
Enjoy!

Replies

• LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Oh, it chopped of the sodium! let me see if I can get a better image...
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Thanks for posting!

MFP likes to keep images a certain size but if you right click on it and select "view image" you can see the whole thing (for the sodium) :smile: