Why I'm doing this

Options
I had always been physically active. I wrestled for nine years throughout school, and when I graduated high school, I was around 155. I spent about seven and a half years in the Army, and during that time, I stayed in the 160 range. When I left the Army and graduated college, I was in the process of looking for a job, planning our wedding, and moving once I found a job, then doing work all around the house during the free time I had. I was looking at myself in the mirror one day, and I noticed I was starting to develop a bit of a belly, so I stepped on the scale, and it said 180. I attributed this to the variables previously mentioned on top of sitting in an office all day. So I joined a local gym and started eating better and lost a little weight, but that lasted about a month. I was still going to the gym but I was half-a**ing it and I slipped back into unhealthy eating habits, so of course I gained the weight back and was once again at 180. I recently came across a picture of myself when I was in the Army at a very healthy 160 and that's when I realized how far negatively I had come. To make matters worse, I have a family history of heart disease. My mom's side of the family has high blood pressure and my dad's side has cholesterol. My blood pressure is still good, though my cholesterol is a little high. The doctor said it's still within an acceptable range, but at the very top of that range. As a matter of fact, my grandfather on my father's side lived the longest of all the males on that side of the family, and he died at 68. And you guessed it, they've all died of heart attacks. Looking at that picture of myself from nearly seven years ago compared to what I was seeing in the mirror presently, I decided it was time for a change. In addition to all of this, my wife is pregnant with our first child and due in September, and I want to live long enough to see him grow old. I started MFP about two weeks ago, and as of this past Sunday, I've lost 1.8 pounds. I travel for work, so I only weigh myself on the weekends. I've also signed up for a half marathon because I've found that if I don't have a specific goal to work towards, I'll find excuses not to run. At least this worked for me three years ago when I ran the Army Ten Miler. After the race was over, I was running here and there, but not regularly.
Anyway, I just wanted to throw my two cents out there as to what is motivating me, and here's to that last 18 pounds. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• jespop713
    jespop713 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think your story is great and I am proud and excited for you and the changes you are making. I think it is great that you are trying to stop the family cycle of early deaths due to heart attacks. Keep up the great work! Good Luck on your journey to a healthier you and good luck on being a dad!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • keysmama
    keysmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a great story. You are an inspiration to others and to your future baby. We had our first son almost three years ago (Sept 08) and in March decided to refocus our (little) energy on eating more healthy and exercising. My husband has lost 20 pounds and feels as healthy and strong as he did in high school (he's 46). We enjoy looking for new recipes and still allow for an occasional treat here and there. Our son is our inspiration. I have lost 18 pounds since March 21 and have about 8 left to get to my goal. If we can set up a pattern of healthy eating and exercising - maybe our children won't have the same battles.

Good Luck to you on reaching your goal and on the new baby!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • cdclark81
    cdclark81 Posts: 11
    Options
    That's great for you and your husband. And I completely agree that by setting a good example for our kids, they'll follow in our footsteps. My dad was a snacker, and I think that's the reason I really struggle and have to convince myself not to eat whatever is around just because it's there. My wife and I have found that if we simply don't buy unhealthy food, we won't eat it. As I mentioned, I wrestled in school and was in the Army, and my wife swam and played soccer in high school and played soccer in college as well, so we're both very active people, and we're hoping that these habits will be carried on.