I Need To Reduce Carbs........

Options

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary... my advice is... baby steps

You seem to like easy to prepare & fast food... just some thoughts (I know they are not all the "perfect" choices, but they are a beginning for you - just recommending some replacements for your 'bad' carbs -

Try instant Oatmeal (packets are easy) for breakfast - MacDonalds even has oatmeal now.

Go to subway - no dressing on your sandwich - extra veggies - $5 footlongs are way better than what you're going to get at Arby's :)

Microwave Popcorn - high fiber - low calorie

Fiber one Cereal - again - high fiber - low calorie

Use Yukon Gold Potatoes instead of others - slightly different texture, but lower calorie & better for you.

Start using whole grain pastas.

Whole grain breads - Arnold's has a great sandwich thin that you can use for sandwiches & they also work as buns for hamburgers, etc.

... just be aware of how much fiber you're taking in - too much too quickly can cause gas.
    (Of course try to add more green veges & fruits if you can)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Nonsense= Reducing any one MACROnutrient, such as CHO (in any form, sugar, bread, pasta, etc.), and attributing it to WEIGHT loss. A caloric deficit is what determines WEIGHT LOSS.

Oddly enough...I had STOPPED losing weight completely at 187lbs....eating 1530cal/day (there's your caloric deficit) and not monitoring my carbs. I decided to INCREASE my calorie limit by 500cal on average a day, and DECREASE my carbs by 50-100g/day.

Now...once more, oddly enough, the scale is moving again...QUICKLY, and I have more energy than I've had in the last month and a half. My sleep schedule is totally repeatable now (it wasn't prior to last week)...and wonder of wonders...my strength has increased substantially (I certainly wasn't 'weak' before...or sluggish energy wise...so don't misunderstand). Those are the only two changes I've made.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage. High insulin levels make the body want to store fat, not burn it. I would love to give more detail but it will get pretty scientific and scientific usually means lots and lots of typing that no one wants to read.

Insulin will prevent the body from burning fat, but that doesn't mean your body isn't still burning energy. It still is...just in the form of carbs.

One thing that Taubes overlooks in his book is that obese people tend to grossly underestimate their caloric intake. If these subjects reduce or even remove carbs they tend to eat less automatically without thinking about it. Usually a lot less. Removing a food category that might make up 50% or more of total calories will generally end up resulting in them eating far less. Of course, this causes weight loss. But it’s not because of the carbs (or lack thereof) per se; rather it’s because they are eating less. There are other reasons as well such as decreased hunger and stable blood glucose that contribute to the reduction in calories but the removal of an entire food group is the main effect.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

What's the reality of eating a diet very high in starch and feeling fully satiated at the end of the day whilst maintaining a caloric deficit?

Not much of a reality. So the OP asking for suggstions on how to reduce the consumption of simple carbohydrates and replace with quality complex carbohydrates, fats, and proteins does a little more than satisfy a caloric requirement for the day - it's making a food choice that will lead to satiety, reduce cravings, and assist with weight loss efforts.

(I mean, unless with your willpower you can consume Twinkies all day within your caloric budget and lose weight, then...good for you? I guess?)

Missingmypoint.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage. High insulin levels make the body want to store fat, not burn it. I would love to give more detail but it will get pretty scientific and scientific usually means lots and lots of typing that no one wants to read.

I think everyone needs to read Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Even if you don't believe him they are still good books that will open your mind up a bit and make you think about what we have been told by the government (and all the companies they are "in cahoots" with. Sorry, I'm not great with words) for the last 30-50 years.

Your body in in a constant swing of storing and oxidizing nutrients. Hormonal fluctuations, such as insulin, glucagon, and IGF-1, play VERY LITTLE role in overall weight loss. At the end of the day, if you have used more energy than you have stored, you will lose weight.

Never mentioned weight loss. Never mentioned anything about consuming more energy than you expend. But if high insulin levels in the body promote fat storage - which they do - then wouldn't it be logical that cutting out the foods that create those high insulin responses means your blood sugar levels will go back to normal and you will lose weight. Because your body will stop storing fat and go back to burning fat.

And I know all about glucagon, IGF-1, etc... I just try to explain things in a way that would make the average person understand.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

What's the reality of eating a diet very high in starch and feeling fully satiated at the end of the day whilst maintaining a caloric deficit?

Not much of a reality. So the OP asking for suggstions on how to reduce the consumption of simple carbohydrates and replace with quality complex carbohydrates, fats, and proteins does a little more than satisfy a caloric requirement for the day - it's making a food choice that will lead to satiety, reduce cravings, and assist with weight loss efforts.

(I mean, unless with your willpower you can consume Twinkies all day within your caloric budget and lose weight, then...good for you? I guess?)

Missingmypoint.

Tell me which point I'm missing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Nonsense= Reducing any one MACROnutrient, such as CHO (in any form, sugar, bread, pasta, etc.), and attributing it to WEIGHT loss. A caloric deficit is what determines WEIGHT LOSS.

Oddly enough...I had STOPPED losing weight completely at 187lbs....eating 1530cal/day (there's your caloric deficit) and not monitoring my carbs. I decided to INCREASE my calorie limit by 500cal on average a day, and DECREASE my carbs by 50-100g/day.

Now...once more, oddly enough, the scale is moving again...QUICKLY, and I have more energy than I've had in the last month and a half. My sleep schedule is totally repeatable now (it wasn't prior to last week)...and wonder of wonders...my strength has increased substantially (I certainly wasn't 'weak' before...or sluggish energy wise...so don't misunderstand). Those are the only two changes I've made.

Okay. crisanderson27. You are giving advice to a 28 year old woman who has over 120 pounds to lose. It is going to take her over a year to lose that weight.

You, on the other hand, are at a healthy weight with only 7 pounds to go.

YOUR needs are no where near HER needs.

You are living on egg whites, deli turkey, chicken, CASHEWS, mozzarella, 1/4 cup of spinach (that's your only veggie or fruit?) and some oreos and whey supplements.

That is not a healthy long term nutrition plan. No one should eat like that long term. So give advice on threads where people are in your same mindset. She doesn't even know what carbs are! Use a little common sense.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Never mentioned weight loss. Never mentioned anything about consuming more energy than you expend. But if high insulin levels in the body promote fat storage - which they do - then wouldn't it be logical that cutting out the foods that create those high insulin responses means your blood sugar levels will go back to normal and you will lose weight. Because your body will stop storing fat and go back to burning fat.

And I know all about glucagon, IGF-1, etc... I just try to explain things in a way that would make the average person understand.

No, it would in no way be beneficial because the energy expended at the end of the day would be the same, regardless of nutrient storage.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

Insulin will prevent the body from burning fat, but that doesn't mean your body isn't still burning energy. It still is...just in the form of carbs.

One thing that Taubes overlooks in his book is that obese people tend to grossly underestimate their caloric intake. If these subjects reduce or even remove carbs they tend to eat less automatically without thinking about it. Usually a lot less. Removing a food category that might make up 50% or more of total calories will generally end up resulting in them eating far less. Of course, this causes weight loss. But it’s not because of the carbs (or lack thereof) per se; rather it’s because they are eating less. There are other reasons as well such as decreased hunger and stable blood glucose that contribute to the reduction in calories but the removal of an entire food group is the main effect.

I dropped calories before and lost 10lbs in 6 months. This leveled out and I stayed at the same weight range for quite a while. I cut out carbs and increased fat (calories stayed the same) and within 3 weeks I lost 4.5lbs more - all body fat. I was told from the very start that it would be sheer hell for me to lose weight because I was already at a healthy weight.

To the OP: Cut out flours, sugars, and processed foods. Stick with whole grain. Get your carbs through veggies (non-starchy ones), low-sugar fruits. If you have to knock out a food group - for the time being - to keep your carbs low then knock out the starches and grains. You'll get more nutrients (and a bigger variety) through fruits and veggies.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    powder keg on the carb issues!

maybe replace the pasta with quinoa and fill up on salads and a few meatballs
    lower gi foods that take longer for your body to process

I usually split my plate up 50% quality light greens salads, broccoli zucchini, grean beans
    25% protein an 25% a mid ar high range Gi food to balance it out

If you do a typical Italian Supper or pasta dinner it is usually salad, pasta, garlic bread, sauce, meatballs and sausage and in moderation it is ok once in a while but you said you do pasta a lot, maybe sautee some baby spinach and turkey sausage with come crushed tomato and spices and if you crave the pasta, measure out 1 cup worth

i just read the best quote something like food that can go bad is GOOD for you and food that can't go bad is not GOOD for you.
    so if it can survive the end of days and then some...skip it!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Maybe I can shed some light as to why that was said as it relates to weight loss. Simple carbs such as sugars and white breads are ingested much faster to the bloodstream. The spike in sugar followed by the inevitable drop (as the pancreas produces excess insulin to reduce the sugar from the bloodstream) causes the body to feel like it needs additional energy and so the “sugar high” cycle begins. The pancreas has to elevate its production of insulin while reducing its supply of glucagon, which is basically locking-in excess body fat. Therefore, too much simple sugar intake dramatically hinders the process of reducing stored body fat. In layman’s terms, it defeats the efforts of someone trying to lose weight. In addition, people are often left feeling hungry much sooner after eating simple carbs as they pass through the body faster and therefore increase calorie intake. And, as you said, a calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss. So we have a set of foods that makes you eat more and stores your body fat. To many, that is a significant enough correlation to imply causation and so many people avoid those foods.

If you are someone with a little more complex understanding, it may not be necessary. Or, if you have already developed a rigid workout routine the consequence may not be as dire. But for those just starting out on an overwhelming journey or to the average person that may not care to know all the details it is a simple, easy and often successful rule to follow.

You explained it so very, very nicely. Thank you. I have never been good with words.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Okay. crisanderson27. You are giving advice to a 28 year old woman who has over 120 pounds to lose. It is going to take her over a year to lose that weight.

You, on the other hand, are at a healthy weight with only 7 pounds to go.

YOUR needs are no where near HER needs.

You are living on egg whites, deli turkey, chicken, CASHEWS, mozzarella, 1/4 cup of spinach (that's your only veggie or fruit?) and some oreos and whey supplements.

That is not a healthy long term nutrition plan. No one should eat like that long term. So give advice on threads where people are in your same mindset. She doesn't even know what carbs are! Use a little common sense.

Point taken, and appreciated.

In my defense however...she asked for a way to cut carbs...I gave her mine as one example of how to do so (meaning some specific low carb foods). I knew my post wouldn't be taken in a vacuum as well friend. I also stated the way in which I'm utilizing this (key word) 'short term' plan. If you go back in my diary...you will see I actually eat quite a bit of vegetables normally...with broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower being my favorites, but which I often supplement with asparagus (another favorite...my grocery store's asparagus usually sucks though). I generally mix apples in every other day...as well as bananas every day (in my shakes). Once again...as I clearly stated...this week has a much more specific goal...to the exclusion of some others.

I do tend to eat a lot of the same foods for the most part...because they taste good, and are whole, healthy foods. Even then...if I recall, my carbs rarely topped 150g/day...with a much more 'varied' diet. And now that I'm a bit more familiar with what I'm doing...when I go back to 100-150g/day of carbs...my food choices will be even more varied.

Nothing exists in a vacuum my friend...not my post, and certainly not my diet.

Cris
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And I'm lost.
    My family eats a LOT of pasta, a lot of potatoes, etc. I'm wanting to find other things to eat or something. My DR said I don't have to completely cut them out, but I need to reduce the intake.
    Can anyone recommend any websites or anything?

www.diabetes.org This is the home site of the American Diabetes Assoc. Even if you are not diabetic it's a great resource for a low carb diet.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I don't have any websites, but I use spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. It's very mild tasting and complements marinara and white sauces. It lasts a long time in the pantry as well, which is a plus. You can do a google search for low carb alternatives and it's always on the list. Also, mashed cauliflower is recommended as a substitute for mashed potatoes. I haven't tried this one yet. I eat alot of steamed cauliflower though. Hope this helps.

I've done both of those. The spaghetti squash was easy to make. I didn't care so much for the cauliflower as a mashed tatter substitute, but it does work. I thought about maybe mixing half and half (half potato & half cauliflower).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    May I ask why there is all this "NO SUGAR" and "NO WHITE BREAD/PASTA".

That is just nonsense. Are you all diabetic?

You don't have to cut sugar out completely, but sugar and white bread/pasta spikes your insulin. If you repeatedly eat it you can develop insulin resistance and eventually diabetes. Whole grains and some natural sugars are absorbed more slowly during digestion so you don't get the insulin spike. It's more about preventing illnesses like diabetes and other metabolic disorders. If you do eat sugar or white bread/pasta eating protien and fiber with it can also help prevent the spike.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You poor girl... after skimming over this post - you're probably more confused than when you started....

Here's a couple websites that may be helpful & fun for you -

www.sparkpeople.com - they have alot of social type groups you can join that will probably have this topic posted...

www.hungry-girl.com - some fun, easy, friendly recipes & recommendations
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

Point taken, and appreciated.

In my defense however...she asked for a way to cut carbs...I gave her mine as one example of how to do so (meaning some specific low carb foods). I knew my post wouldn't be taken in a vacuum as well friend. I also stated the way in which I'm utilizing this (key word) 'short term' plan. If you go back in my diary...you will see I actually eat quite a bit of vegetables normally...with broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower being my favorites, but which I often supplement with asparagus (another favorite...my grocery store's asparagus usually sucks though). I generally mix apples in every other day...as well as bananas every day (in my shakes). Once again...as I clearly stated...this week has a much more specific goal...to the exclusion of some others.

I do tend to eat a lot of the same foods for the most part...because they taste good, and are whole, healthy foods. Even then...if I recall, my carbs rarely topped 150g/day...with a much more 'varied' diet. And now that I'm a bit more familiar with what I'm doing...when I go back to 100-150g/day of carbs...my food choices will be even more varied.

Nothing exists in a vacuum my friend...not my post, and certainly not my diet.

Cris

Nice explanation. :drinker: Carbs are easy to lookup online. Your nutrition plan (and I went back several days) will only work short term and in a specific context.

As long as people understand that. Nothing wrong with a short term high protein plan, but to say, "Hey, look at my diary" just gives them the thought that "This guy says he finally started to lose weight - and look at what he's eating." a very dangerous combo with someone who has a lot to learn and isn't even willing to do online research, but instead comes here and asks us to do her work.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm off my Onsoapbox.gif now.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

First off, that is an insane deficit. Increasing food intake would in turn increase TEF and regulate T3/T4 levels.

Dropping carbs, which are water binding, would in turn drop water weight and muscle glycogen levels.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Anywho, back on topic:

Good stuff to buy / make:

Sweet potatoes / yams
    Cauliflower (awesome mashed as a substitute for mashed white potatoes)
    Spaghetti squash (bake, strip with fork, use in place of spaghetti)
    Low carb wraps / bread / sanwich thins
    Quinoa or wild rice
    Oatmeal in place of high carb cereals
    Nuts
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    And I'm lost.
    My family eats a LOT of pasta, a lot of potatoes, etc. I'm wanting to find other things to eat or something. My DR said I don't have to completely cut them out, but I need to reduce the intake.
    Can anyone recommend any websites or anything?

Did your doctor maybe give you an idea of what their thoughts are on how to approach this change?

I am not an expert and I am amazed at the great advice you have here .... amidst the arguments that is.

I do not watch my carbs really. :ohwell: I do see how some foods will really spike one of my numbers, and I try to watch that food. If I don't cut it out altogether I cut back on it.

I have some great friends in MFP (you being one of them!! :heart: ) and some of them have walked your path. Hopefully they can jump in here and give some helpful advice.