Too much protein

Options
Is it bad that I keep going over in protein? I've never paid attention to this before. I always thought protein was a good thing to have in your diet. Is there a certain amount of protein that is too much?

Replies

• CandyS216
    CandyS216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I keep going over in protein? I've never paid attention to this before. I always thought protein was a good thing to have in your diet. Is there a certain amount of protein that is too much?
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wonder that myself i am always over on the protein but my weight is going down so I don't worry alot about it. maybe i should but i don't :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Oh there are a ton of threads on this...just search 'protein' at the message boards. 'Too much' protein differs for everyone, but going over 15% isn't a danger to your health. High protein intake becomes dangerous when other macronutrients fall below necessary levels to keep calories at a certain amount.
  • artnoren
    Options
    How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary. Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Calculating Protein as a Percentage of Total Calories

Another way to calculate how much protein you need is by using daily calorie intake and the percentage of calories that will come from protein. To do this, you'll need to know how many calories your body needs each day. First, find out what your Basal Metabolic Rate is by using this BMR calculator. Using the activity calculator located on the same page, you can then calculate the number of calories you need each day to maintain where you are.

After you've figured out your maintenance calories, next figure out what percentage of your diet will come from protein. The percentage you choose will be based on your goals, fitness level, age, body type and metabolic rate. Most experts recommend that your protein intake be somewhere between 15 and 30%. When you've determined your desired percentage of protein, multiply that percentage by the total number of calories for the day.

Example:
    For a 140lb female, calorie intake=1800 calories, protein=20%:
    1800 x .20 = 360 calories from protein. Since 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, divide protein calories by four:
    360/4 = 90 grams of protein per day.

No matter what your calculations are, remember that there are no magic foods or supplements that can replace the right training and the right diet. The foundation of any program, whether your goal is to lose weight or gain muscle, is a combination of strength training and a healthy diet that includes plenty of carbs, with a balance of protein and fat. To gain weight, you need to consistently eat more calories than your body uses.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    My nutritionist wants me to get 120 g of protein a day...she always pushes the protein thing...I keep losing lean weight b/c I don't get enough protein, she says. :blushing: